Another news article I found - 100 sled dogs killed in B.C. 'massacre'

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
This article is a continuation from yesterday. It was very difficult for me to read yesterday because I got :angry: while doing so, so I decided not to read today's ... My apologies in advance for sharing this downer ...

100 sled dogs killed in B.C.
100 sled dogs killed in B.C. ‘massacre’

</H1>
As the slaughter went on, the animals made “guttural sounds” and had “fear in their eyes,” according to WorkSafe B.C. documents.
Nearly 10 months after the dogs were killed in Whistler in what the B.C. SPCA has called “an absolute massacre,” the RCMP is investigating and the Vancouver Humane Society is calling for an immediate ban on all dog-sled tour operations in the province.

In the documents, which were obtained by radio station CKNW and the SPCA, the general manager of Outdoor Adventure Whistler gave disturbing descriptions as to how he killed 100 healthy sled dogs after the tourism industry in the ski resort took a downturn following the Olympics last year.

The killings, which came to light after the employee filed a claim saying he was suffering post traumatic stress disorder, have sparked outrage from as far away as Peru and Australia. The employee received monetary compensation for his suffering from the workers compensation board.
Marcie Moriarty, general manager of cruelty investigations for the SPCA, said she had trouble reading the documents when she received them.
Reading aloud from the report, Moriarty said the worker gave detailed descriptions of how the dogs were killed.

“One dog named Susie had the left side of her cheek blown off.”
Another dog named Nora, severely injured, attempted to crawl out of the mass grave, but the worker climbed down to kill her.
Moriarty said it sickens her that the employee received compensation for committing what she called a “criminal act.”

While it’s legal to euthanize your own animal with a single shot to the head, it is an offence under the criminal code to cause an animal to have pain and suffering.

Moriarty said some dog-sledding tours are well-run and the dogs remain with the family when they’re too feeble to run. But many such operations use these dogs and later have them killed or try to dump them with rescue organizations.

Outdoor Adventures Whistler said in a statement it has only recently learned of the “tragic and regrettable events regarding a cull of animals” and did not instruct its general manager to carry out the killings in the manner described in the Workers’ Compensation Board report.

The company “was aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs,” said the statement. “But it was our expectation that it was done in a proper, legal and humane manner.”

The worker ceased managing the business in late April, according to Outdoor Adventures Whistler.

Tourism Whistler spokesman Bret Murphy said the company has agreed with the tourism group’s decision to suspend any further dog sled tours until the RCMP and SPCA investigations are done.

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Re: Another news article I found - 100 sled dogs killed in B.C. ‘massacre’

The company “was aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs,” said the statement. “But it was our expectation that it was done in a proper, legal and humane manner.”

Why would it be considered proper and humane to euthanize a dog when you no longer have need for it? :angry:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida

What did I miss? This sounds terrible! Why did they do this?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

Basically, from what I read, this company in British Columbia had a surplus of sled dogs from the Olympics, when tourism in the area was at an all time high. Now that there is less demand, they had too many dogs and chose to dispose of them by shooting them. From what I understand, the dogs were shot and put in a mass grave. A former employee who is not with the company anymore said that not all of the dogs were killed when they were shot and he witnessed some of them crawling out of the grave.

It's really horrifying.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

OMG thats awful :mad: I just don't understand how people can do these kinds of things!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

OK I made it through to about the second or third line and couldn't read on ..... I just find it distressing and disgusting!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online