ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm NOT a smoker at allā€¦ never have been because I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. Here's the thing thoughā€¦ my SON SMOKES!!! He's only 19 years old, and it absolutely KILLS MEā€¦ :( My MIL uses oxygen because of her smoking habit, and he sees thisā€¦ I just don't understand it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How many times have you gone to hospital to visit someone, and see the nurses(who have seen it all) outside smoking on their break. I know there is pressure-but really?!
Queen(King) of da nile! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Of course the "kids" thing nothing can happen to them!!

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
He's been 48 hours now and still going strong :) We are hopeful that he stays with it. So far he says he's feeling great and even noticed more energy this morning. I watched my grandmother suffer the consequences from a lifetime of smoking so I've never been tempted to even try it. I also have an addictive type personality so I have to be careful. Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit...I can't imagine how difficult it must be.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I'm NOT a smoker at allā€¦ never have been because I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. Here's the thing thoughā€¦ my SON SMOKES!!! He's only 19 years old, and it absolutely KILLS MEā€¦ :( My MIL uses oxygen because of her smoking habit, and he sees thisā€¦ I just don't understand it.

[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] one word, chantix. Obtain a prescription from the doc. Nicotine is very addictive so it is very difficult habit to drop. Don't want to sound like a reformed individual but cigarettes have all these toxic chemicals that is just poisoning our body. When I had a chest xray few years back, and this is after I already quit, the picture of my lungs were "dirty" looking. The effects of smoking takes a long time to reverse. Your son might think it is cool and everyone around him is doing it, but keep in mind, we only have this one body to keep so we need to keep it healthy. Good Luck, I wish that he gets his senses back while there is still time. Ask him to consult with the doc but as everybody says, it will only work if he wants to make it work. For me, chantix, is the wonder drug in my case as I quit smoking without having any urges to smoke again. It was the magic pill for me. Good Luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL, I hope he has a successful treatment and recovers from kidney cancer. My uncle was born with one kidney, and didn't know it until he was an adult. He's 74 now and he's fine with just the one.
I have never been a smoker, so I don't know what it's like or how addictive it is or how difficult it is to quit. I know that it us very hard to quit once you start. I have 2 kids 32 and 34, and they both smoke, it breaks my heart and it worries me all the time. My son coughs at night, it sounds horrible. My daughter gets bronchitis bad about twice a year and is susceptible to it because of her smoking. One thing I don't understand is I come from a family of 5 siblings, none of us smoke, my parents never smoked, my grandparents never smoked, and none of my aunts and uncles, my hubby comes from a family of 4 siblings, and he's the only one who never smoked, both his parents smoked, all 7 of his uncles smoke, and his siblings and their spouses all smoke. My kids who were never exposed to it, or saw its growing up, both smoke and started very young. My daughter first smoked when she was 14 years old, and can't quit, my son was about 16 years old.
My 7 nieces and nephews on my hubby's side all grew up in the 80s when people smoked in the house and were around it all their lives, none of those kids smoke? I know 7 people in my life who are sick or who have passed away due Tao smoking in the last 5 years. My step mom died 5 years ago from brain cancer, the doctor said it was smoking related, my aunts boyfriend has COPD, and can no longer breath without a machine, and he also has bladder cancer, my step father is being treated for bladder and kidney cancer right now from years of smoking, he quit years ago after a heart attack at the age if 42. My SILs father just passed away a couple of years ago from lung cancer, he left an only daughter and his granddaughter. It's so sad, and my kids see this but they ignore what I say and get annoyed when I talk about it. They also have the attitude nothing will happen to them. Ugh.

Congratulations to all of you who have been able to quit, it's a very difficult thing to do.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene one word, chantix. Obtain a prescription from the doc. Nicotine is very addictive so it is very difficult habit to drop. Don't want to sound like a reformed individual but cigarettes have all these toxic chemicals that is just poisoning our body. When I had a chest xray few years back, and this is after I already quit, the picture of my lungs were "dirty" looking. The effects of smoking takes a long time to reverse. Your son might think it is cool and everyone around him is doing it, but keep in mind, we only have this one body to keep so we need to keep it healthy. Good Luck, I wish that he gets his senses back while there is still time. Ask him to consult with the doc but as everybody says, it will only work if he wants to make it work. For me, chantix, is the wonder drug in my case as I quit smoking without having any urges to smoke again. It was the magic pill for me. Good Luck.

:up:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene one word, chantix. Obtain a prescription from the doc. Nicotine is very addictive so it is very difficult habit to drop. Don't want to sound like a reformed individual but cigarettes have all these toxic chemicals that is just poisoning our body. When I had a chest xray few years back, and this is after I already quit, the picture of my lungs were "dirty" looking. The effects of smoking takes a long time to reverse. Your son might think it is cool and everyone around him is doing it, but keep in mind, we only have this one body to keep so we need to keep it healthy. Good Luck, I wish that he gets his senses back while there is still time. Ask him to consult with the doc but as everybody says, it will only work if he wants to make it work. For me, chantix, is the wonder drug in my case as I quit smoking without having any urges to smoke again. It was the magic pill for me. Good Luck.

I have to do somethingā€¦ but what upsets me the most is that he has NO intentions of quitting. He has to want to do this, I can't make himā€¦ :(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have to do somethingā€¦ but what upsets me the most is that he has NO intentions of quitting. He has to want to do this, I can't make himā€¦ :(
Wanting to quit is the key. What made me finally decide was putting pen to paper and seeing how much money I was wasting and the things I could do with the savings like buy the truck I am looking for.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have never smoked so don't know what its like to give it up, both my kids smoke my daughter shocking a real chain smoker she gives it up and after two days we all going mad with her moods and she starts again and my dad had lung cancer and they still smoke knowing this, Richard smoked for many years has hypnosis and quite for two years took it up again for about ten years then had the patches and has not smoked in nearly 19 years. But the key is they need to WANT to give it up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.