Smoking...

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
My brother in law was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. He is in his 30's and he and my sister have two young children. He has been a heavy smoker since his teen years and the doctor said that it likely contributed to the cancer. Yesterday he made the decision to stop smoking once and for all. Does anyone have any tips I can give him? He's using gum right now and is going on 30 hours with no cigarette. I've never even held one so I'm clueless :whistle:

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
The only thing that helped me was to just do it..I tried Gum and pills and it didn't work for me.Its been 9 years and I never looked back.Sending prayers to him and his family..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I quite almost 3 years ago (on Easter).
One day, I got up, bought the patch, and just did it. I think the more someone thinks about quitting, the harder it becomes.
It's one of those things you just do. Don't think about it, just do it. But unlike Christie, I don't think I would of been able to do it without nicotine replacement therapy.

I have a friend who did the e-cigs. But she quit before me and was still on them long after I was done with the patch. It took her about a year. Very slow process.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Chantix...I just texted my sister to look into it. I think he's hit rock bottom where he's ready to give it up for good. Cancer when you have 2 young kids is a BIG wake up call :(

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
He's using Nicorette for now and says that it's working pretty well. He had one minor craving today but that's been it and he wasn't tempted to give in to it.

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
I smoked for 25 years and after my father in law was diagnosed with metastatic cancer I reached for Chantix -- used 2 weeks and never looked back! Been 2 years now. I think the WANT to quit is paramount. Please remind him that when he gets the urge to smoke that he needs to focus on something else for 3 mins, that is the time it takes for the craving to pass. The cravings do eventually become farther and farther apart. I also found that changing my routine. Ie... Dishes immediately after dinner instead of waiting, avoided coffee as it usually triggered a craving. Jelly Bellys were also my goto keeping my hands and mouth busy :). I wish him success as this is the best, hardest, healthiest thing he can do for himself. 30 hours and counting!!! Every hour is a step closer :)

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
yep a lot of people on here do LOL

Ok here is the story:

While I was a long time smoker, I never actually bought a carton maybe on very few occassions as I always that I'd quit someday. I was also smoking the expensive Benson & Hedges menthols. Not by design but that's what I started with. I tried the cheaper brand but did not enjoy it. So, I only bought a pack at 7-11's all the time thinking that I'll quit sometime. Yup, it is easy to quit. I must have done it a dozen times. I'll quit cold turkey and I still fight this very strong urge. It is a matter of time before I say, hey maybe I'll just smoke one more stick. That's all it takes and I will be smoking again.

Besides, people coming to my office that smokes do not help. They'll go outside and I will chat with them. Next thing you know I'm asking to bum one.

Anyway, on one visit to my doctor, she suggested chantix. It was a 30 day program. It took me 2 days. It was awful but after 2 days, no more urge. Even when my peers came who smoked, I never had any desire to ask for a stick. So all is good. - I quit in 2008 and never lit another stick since then.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My other half was a almost 2 pack a day smoker and he used the Chantix... first time out, he failed as he really wasn't ready. but hen about a year later he did the Chantix again, and two weeks in he stopped smoking and using the meds. he is now about 5 yrs since his last cigarette

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I quit years and years ago. Wilma Flintstone and I used to hang out...anyway, I quit cold turkey, and every morning I would go outside and breath in as much air as I could, and then blow it out as much as I could. I kept a pack of cigarettes in my kitchen cabinet-as a security "blanket" for about 6 years and never touched it. I filled any oral urge with tootsie roll lollipops.
Another thing-when I was born, I was poisoned, and they found out my mother had a very bad kidney. Back then,she was in hospital for three months after they removed her kidney. She lived to be 76 years old, and never had a problem living with one kidney. I am sending prayers and if he REALLY WANTS to quit-it will work. I had a picture in my mind of the "devil" laughing every time someone lights up, because he has them captured, and under his control! It worked. Then came the straight jacket...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am in the process of quitting for the umpteenth million time. I tried meds, patch and gum with none of them really working. What has helped me is switching to vaping and reducing the nicotine level every few months basically weaning myself off. Started with 18mg nicotine ejuice and I am down to 3mg and in a few months I will drop to 0mg.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online