Let's talk Ovens!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The house we're in the middle of getting needs a new updated kitchen. I've been looking through back splash, tiles vs laminate flooring, cabinets, finishes, etc. I think I got it all down now, but
the one thing that still makes my eyes cross are ovens.

There's just so many different options these days. Things I never thought of. Since the size of my kitchen (in the city) is the size of most peoples walk-in closets, cooking is not something
I normally do.

Am hoping that will change with this house. I was thinking I'll cook a few things over the weekend to take back to the city. Things like roasts, lasagna's, soups. I'm hoping we'll finally start eating healthier.

So I need help here. What's the difference between all these various ovens? The one thing I know is I don't want a separate stove-top and oven. I want them combined. But after that, there's just so many different options.

Gas, electric, induction.. just thinking about it makes my head hurt. All I want is something that can make a great roast chicken, and the stove top gets hot enough to sear. I also prefer gas for the stove-top.

Any recommendations?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had this house built over 4 years ago, and I LOVE to cook. We have a gas stovetop that I absolutely LOVEā€¦ and we have a double oven unit that is separate. If you don't like the split option, I would say absolutely GO for the gas stovetop. I wanted gas ovens, but for some reason that wasn't an option here for us at this house. So we have electric ovensā€¦ I'm not really sure on the different options of ovens because we had limited choices.

Do you & the hubs like soups, stews and that sort of thing?!! An easy cooking option for small spaces is a crock pot. I use mine at LEAST once a weekā€¦ and now that's it's winter I make soups, stews, roasted chickens, etcā€¦ If you are on Pinterest there is a TON of healthy options for a slow cooker.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks Tracey.

I really want crock pot but I don't have room for anything extra right now in the city. I have a grill, toaster oven, coffee machine and a few other things on my counters. and absolutely no room in any of the cabinets since we use them as storage for things unrelated to the kitchen.

Once I can move a bunch of these things to the house, I'll definitely get the crock pot. Really looking forward to it actually...lol

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks Tracey.

I really want crock pot but I don't have room for anything extra right now in the city. I have a grill, toaster oven, coffee machine and a few other things on my counters. and absolutely no room in any of the cabinets since we use them as storage for things unrelated to the kitchen.

Once I can move a bunch of these things to the house, I'll definitely get the crock pot. Really looking forward to it actually...lol

You will LOVE the convenience of the crock potā€¦ it's SO nice at the end of the day realizing that dinner is almost ready!!! :pot: I WILL tell you what I missā€¦ a descent damn PIZZA and ethnic food. What I would give for chinese, indian or greek foodā€¦ we only have the garbage at the mall.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You will LOVE the convenience of the crock potā€¦ it's SO nice at the end of the day realizing that dinner is almost ready!!! :pot: I WILL tell you what I missā€¦ a descent damn PIZZA and ethnic food. What I would give for chinese, indian or greek foodā€¦ we only have the garbage at the mall.

I think I'm gonna love it too. Been wanting one for a looong time.

I can not live without Pizza, Indian, Greek or Japanese. Chinese I can do without. Chris loves it though.

We have some of the best pizza here (you here that Chicago??! Your deep dish is NOT PIZZA!!). The Indian tends to be more Bangladesh but it's close enough..lol.. Greek though.. OMG.. we have a huge greek neighborhood in Queens called
Astoria. It's the best Greek food I've had outside of Greece. In fact, it's better than the tourist places in Greece.

This is one of the reasons I can never leave for good. I love the diversity cities offer (not just the food.) Especially NYC.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@nycbullymama - First, let me just say, crockpots are the best! Hah, then in response to your original question. Gas is the way for sure, 100% - you will always be able to use it even if you lose power, we have this one:

Samsung 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Gas Convection Range Silver NX58F5700WS - Best Buy

I absolutely love it. Of course it comes in white, black, and stainless. And all other models make the same, GE, Whirlpool, etc. Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I do use mine alot, as I love to bake... so I def love the self clean option.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GAS -- convection oven! LOVE IT!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@nycbullymama - First, let me just say, crockpots are the best! Hah, then in response to your original question. Gas is the way for sure, 100% - you will always be able to use it even if you lose power, we have this one:

Samsung 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Gas Convection Range Silver NX58F5700WS - Best Buy

I absolutely love it. Of course it comes in white, black, and stainless. And all other models make the same, GE, Whirlpool, etc. Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I do use mine alot, as I love to bake... so I def love the self clean option.

Oh, that's something else I was curious about. I don't bake, but I do roast. Is there a difference in ovens? Like baking vs roasting that I should be looking at?

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think I'm gonna love it too. Been wanting one for a looong time.

I can not live without Pizza, Indian, Greek or Japanese. Chinese I can do without. Chris loves it though.

We have some of the best pizza here (you here that Chicago??! Your deep dish is NOT PIZZA!!). The Indian tends to be more Bangladesh but it's close enough..lol.. Greek though.. OMG.. we have a huge greek neighborhood in Queens called
Astoria. It's the best Greek food I've had outside of Greece. In fact, it's better than the tourist places in Greece.

This is one of the reasons I can never leave for good. I love the diversity cities offer (not just the food.) Especially NYC.

Yeah that is why when we go to the cities I tend to gain 5 poundsā€¦ Lol I could NOT get enough of the seafood in Seattle either. I forgot to add that I LOVE sushi, and surprisingly enough we have an amazing Japanese restaurant here that serves amazing sushiā€¦ Lol

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
GAS -- convection oven! LOVE IT!

Gas oven? (the stove top's gonna be gas)
I was wondering if there's really a difference between electric convection or gas convection.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh, that's something else I was curious about. I don't bake, but I do roast. Is there a difference in ovens? Like baking vs roasting that I should be looking at?

No, I don't believe there is a difference. I believe they should all come with the broil option. While I use mine alot to bake, I also do my Thanksgiving turkeys, hams, ribs, briskets, everything in mine.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yeah that is why when we go to the cities I tend to gain 5 poundsā€¦ Lol I could NOT get enough of the seafood in Seattle either. I forgot to add that I LOVE sushi, and surprisingly enough we have an amazing Japanese restaurant here that serves amazing sushiā€¦ Lol

It's funny you say that about Sushi, and you're lucky you have that. Surprisingly enough, to get good Sushi here, you pay a premium. In the past, like 20 years ago, all the Japanese places were good (and run by Japanese chefs).
Now, every one's jumped on the Sushi bandwagon and you can get it anywhere. The quality is usually crap. So to get good japanese food here, you need to make a whole affair out of it. There's only a couple of good low key places left here. But even there, you're paying $$$$.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's funny you say that about Sushi, and you're lucky you have that. Surprisingly enough, to get good Sushi here, you pay a premium. In the past, like 20 years ago, all the Japanese places were good (and run by Japanese chefs).
Now, every one's jumped on the Sushi bandwagon and you can get it anywhere. The quality is usually crap. So to get good japanese food here, you need to make a whole affair out of it. There's only a couple of good low key places left here. But even there, you're paying $$$$.

Oh that stinksā€¦ I know what you are saying though, EVERYBODY sells sushi!!! I have a good friend here who is originally from Thailand, and she introduced me to this place. She also introduced me to Thai food which is amazingā€¦

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Gas ovens in general will kick more heat into your kitchen because more ventilation is required.
There are different types of convection and every oven works a little differently. The gas ovens have a fan that moves air around. Convection has three functions.
-- It will be drying to what you are cooking. This is a benefit for items you want to be crispy or brown. It is great for roasting meats and vegetables.
--It increases the rate of heat transfer so things may cook faster, at a lower temp. than what you are used to. It is a learning curve to balance the temperature and cooking times.
--It keeps the temperature more even throughout the oven.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] thanks.

I'd like to do gas/gas for stove top and oven with the convection feature. But I'm not opposed to gas/electric convection. Just want an option to turn it on and off. Was reading that the convection ovens
are best for bake ware without sides or low sides. Casserole dishes do better without the convection feature since the high sides interfere with the circulation. But any idea if it makes a difference?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.