The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Let's talk Ovens!

The house we're in the middle of getting needs a new updated kitchen. I've been looking through back splash, tiles vs laminate flooring, cabinets, finishes, etc. I think I got it all down now, but
    the one thing that still makes my eyes cross are ovens.

There's just so many different options these days. Things I never thought of. Since the size of my kitchen (in the city) is the size of most peoples walk-in closets, cooking is not something
    I normally do.

Am hoping that will change with this house. I was thinking I'll cook a few things over the weekend to take back to the city. Things like roasts, lasagna's, soups. I'm hoping we'll finally start eating healthier.

So I need help here. What's the difference between all these various ovens? The one thing I know is I don't want a separate stove-top and oven. I want them combined. But after that, there's just so many different options.

Gas, electric, induction.. just thinking about it makes my head hurt. All I want is something that can make a great roast chicken, and the stove top gets hot enough to sear. I also prefer gas for the stove-top.

Any recommendations?

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Let's talk Ovens!

We had this house built over 4 years ago, and I LOVE to cook. We have a gas stovetop that I absolutely LOVE… and we have a double oven unit that is separate. If you don't like the split option, I would say absolutely GO for the gas stovetop. I wanted gas ovens, but for some reason that wasn't an option here for us at this house. So we have electric ovens… I'm not really sure on the different options of ovens because we had limited choices.

Do you & the hubs like soups, stews and that sort of thing?!! An easy cooking option for small spaces is a crock pot. I use mine at LEAST once a week… and now that's it's winter I make soups, stews, roasted chickens, etc… If you are on Pinterest there is a TON of healthy options for a slow cooker.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Tracey.

I really want crock pot but I don't have room for anything extra right now in the city. I have a grill, toaster oven, coffee machine and a few other things on my counters. and absolutely no room in any of the cabinets since we use them as storage for things unrelated to the kitchen.

Once I can move a bunch of these things to the house, I'll definitely get the crock pot. Really looking forward to it actually...lol

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Thanks Tracey.

I really want crock pot but I don't have room for anything extra right now in the city. I have a grill, toaster oven, coffee machine and a few other things on my counters. and absolutely no room in any of the cabinets since we use them as storage for things unrelated to the kitchen.

Once I can move a bunch of these things to the house, I'll definitely get the crock pot. Really looking forward to it actually...lol
    You will LOVE the convenience of the crock pot… it's SO nice at the end of the day realizing that dinner is almost ready!!! I WILL tell you what I miss… a descent damn PIZZA and ethnic food. What I would give for chinese, indian or greek food… we only have the garbage at the mall.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    You will LOVE the convenience of the crock pot… it's SO nice at the end of the day realizing that dinner is almost ready!!! I WILL tell you what I miss… a descent damn PIZZA and ethnic food. What I would give for chinese, indian or greek food… we only have the garbage at the mall.
    I think I'm gonna love it too. Been wanting one for a looong time.

I can not live without Pizza, Indian, Greek or Japanese. Chinese I can do without. Chris loves it though.

We have some of the best pizza here (you here that Chicago??! Your deep dish is NOT PIZZA!!). The Indian tends to be more Bangladesh but it's close enough..lol.. Greek though.. OMG.. we have a huge greek neighborhood in Queens called
    Astoria. It's the best Greek food I've had outside of Greece. In fact, it's better than the tourist places in Greece.

This is one of the reasons I can never leave for good. I love the diversity cities offer (not just the food.) Especially NYC.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

@nycbullymama - First, let me just say, crockpots are the best! Hah, then in response to your original question. Gas is the way for sure, 100% - you will always be able to use it even if you lose power, we have this one:

Samsung 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Gas Convection Range Silver NX58F5700WS - Best Buy

I absolutely love it. Of course it comes in white, black, and stainless. And all other models make the same, GE, Whirlpool, etc. Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I do use mine alot, as I love to bake... so I def love the self clean option.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

GAS -- convection oven! LOVE IT!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    @nycbullymama - First, let me just say, crockpots are the best! Hah, then in response to your original question. Gas is the way for sure, 100% - you will always be able to use it even if you lose power, we have this one:

Samsung 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Gas Convection Range Silver NX58F5700WS - Best Buy

I absolutely love it. Of course it comes in white, black, and stainless. And all other models make the same, GE, Whirlpool, etc. Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I do use mine alot, as I love to bake... so I def love the self clean option.
    Oh, that's something else I was curious about. I don't bake, but I do roast. Is there a difference in ovens? Like baking vs roasting that I should be looking at?

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I think I'm gonna love it too. Been wanting one for a looong time.

I can not live without Pizza, Indian, Greek or Japanese. Chinese I can do without. Chris loves it though.

We have some of the best pizza here (you here that Chicago??! Your deep dish is NOT PIZZA!!). The Indian tends to be more Bangladesh but it's close enough..lol.. Greek though.. OMG.. we have a huge greek neighborhood in Queens called
    Astoria. It's the best Greek food I've had outside of Greece. In fact, it's better than the tourist places in Greece.

This is one of the reasons I can never leave for good. I love the diversity cities offer (not just the food.) Especially NYC.
    Yeah that is why when we go to the cities I tend to gain 5 pounds… Lol I could NOT get enough of the seafood in Seattle either. I forgot to add that I LOVE sushi, and surprisingly enough we have an amazing Japanese restaurant here that serves amazing sushi… Lol

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    GAS -- convection oven! LOVE IT!

Gas oven? (the stove top's gonna be gas)
    I was wondering if there's really a difference between electric convection or gas convection.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Oh, that's something else I was curious about. I don't bake, but I do roast. Is there a difference in ovens? Like baking vs roasting that I should be looking at?
    No, I don't believe there is a difference. I believe they should all come with the broil option. While I use mine alot to bake, I also do my Thanksgiving turkeys, hams, ribs, briskets, everything in mine.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Yeah that is why when we go to the cities I tend to gain 5 pounds… Lol I could NOT get enough of the seafood in Seattle either. I forgot to add that I LOVE sushi, and surprisingly enough we have an amazing Japanese restaurant here that serves amazing sushi… Lol
    It's funny you say that about Sushi, and you're lucky you have that. Surprisingly enough, to get good Sushi here, you pay a premium. In the past, like 20 years ago, all the Japanese places were good (and run by Japanese chefs).
    Now, every one's jumped on the Sushi bandwagon and you can get it anywhere. The quality is usually crap. So to get good japanese food here, you need to make a whole affair out of it. There's only a couple of good low key places left here. But even there, you're paying $$$$.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads