EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Let's talk Ovens!

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    It's funny you say that about Sushi, and you're lucky you have that. Surprisingly enough, to get good Sushi here, you pay a premium. In the past, like 20 years ago, all the Japanese places were good (and run by Japanese chefs).
    Now, every one's jumped on the Sushi bandwagon and you can get it anywhere. The quality is usually crap. So to get good japanese food here, you need to make a whole affair out of it. There's only a couple of good low key places left here. But even there, you're paying $$$$.
    Oh that stinks… I know what you are saying though, EVERYBODY sells sushi!!! I have a good friend here who is originally from Thailand, and she introduced me to this place. She also introduced me to Thai food which is amazing…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Gas ovens in general will kick more heat into your kitchen because more ventilation is required.
    There are different types of convection and every oven works a little differently. The gas ovens have a fan that moves air around. Convection has three functions.
    -- It will be drying to what you are cooking. This is a benefit for items you want to be crispy or brown. It is great for roasting meats and vegetables.
    --It increases the rate of heat transfer so things may cook faster, at a lower temp. than what you are used to. It is a learning curve to balance the temperature and cooking times.
    --It keeps the temperature more even throughout the oven.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@TyTysmom thanks.

I'd like to do gas/gas for stove top and oven with the convection feature. But I'm not opposed to gas/electric convection. Just want an option to turn it on and off. Was reading that the convection ovens
    are best for bake ware without sides or low sides. Casserole dishes do better without the convection feature since the high sides interfere with the circulation. But any idea if it makes a difference?

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Oh that stinks… I know what you are saying though, EVERYBODY sells sushi!!! I have a good friend here who is originally from Thailand, and she introduced me to this place. She also introduced me to Thai food which is amazing…
    Yeah, not a fan of Thai either..lol.. Hubs on the other hands loves it.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Gas oven? (the stove top's gonna be gas)
    I was wondering if there's really a difference between electric convection or gas convection.
    There is a huge difference between gas and electric. I have gas and I love it. Gas, in my opinion cooks better and more evenly. Convection just cooks things faster. I do not have convection and I am ok. I love to cook. The thing you should be looking at is how many burners and such. If you are going to be entertaining and cooking alot, then go for a stove with alot of burners on the cook top. I also have a grill on mine and I love love love it. Also, in my opinion, if you have to have electric (no gas supply) stay away from glass tops. They are a pain in the you know what to clean and look messy alot.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    There is a huge difference between gas and electric. I have gas and I love it. Gas, in my opinion cooks better and more evenly. Convection just cooks things faster. I do not have convection and I am ok. I love to cook. The thing you should be looking at is how many burners and such. If you are going to be entertaining and cooking alot, then go for a stove with alot of burners on the cook top. I also have a grill on mine and I love love love it. Also, in my opinion, if you have to have electric (no gas supply) stay away from glass tops. They are a pain in the you know what to clean and look messy alot.
    It's so interesting to me that you think gas cooks better and more evenly. I keep reading that's what electric is supposed to do. But your first hand experience trumps anything I read. Good to know, thanks.
    I absolutely want a grill. I was also thinking 4 burners should be enough even with family and friends over. I'm not a huge cook so anything more than that would be wasted on me.

My parents have a glass top in Florida. My mom doesn't like it. Regrets getting it.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

It's so interesting to me that you think gas cooks better and more evenly. I keep reading that's what electric is supposed to do. But your first hand experience trumps anything I read. Good to know, thanks.
    I absolutely want a grill. I was also thinking 4 burners should be enough even with family and friends over. I'm not a huge cook so anything more than that would be wasted on me.

My parents have a glass top in Florida. My mom doesn't like it. Regrets getting it.
    Everyone I know that has glass top regrets it. I had electric growing up and I have had gas for the last 25yrs and really prefer gas. No gas jokes @Chumley!
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I grew up with gas... went to electric while renting and HATED it.. can not regulate the temp and things tend to burn or over cook. With my new house I went gas/convection all in one (GE) and I love it. With gas you can easily regulate the temp without waiting for the burn to cool down (electric)... as soon as the flame is lower the temp in the pot changes
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great!! Thanks everyone, I'm sold on gas/gas.

I'm thinking I'm going to splurge a bit on the kitchen and I want a nice bright oven..lol.. went looking a few weeks ago and saw this.
    Really loved it in the 36" version.

What do you guys think of the red color? and be honest please. Attachment 84178

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great!! Thanks everyone, I'm sold on gas/gas.

I'm thinking I'm going to splurge a bit on the kitchen and I want a nice bright oven..lol.. went looking a few weeks ago and saw this.
    Really loved it in the 36" version.

What do you guys think of the red color? and be honest please. Attachment 84178

LOVE it! Not something I would do as I like to be able to change things up a lot... so I go neutral a lot and then change room decor
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I know what you mean, I was also kinda wondering. Still not 100% sold on the color.
    But I figure since it's not our primary residence, I can go a little funky and won't get sick of it too soon.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Everyone I know that has glass top regrets it. I had electric growing up and I have had gas for the last 25yrs and really prefer gas. No gas jokes @Chumley!
    I agree w/Rosalie, the glass tops are a mistake!!! IF you ever have a spill on top it's impossible to get it off… GAS is the way to go!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads