Frozen pipes!!!! No water grrrrr.....

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Living in a quaint old carriage house doesn't seem as great as it normally does when your pipes freeze and you're going on 2 full days without water. Luckily there are showers at my gym and at work....but gross we had to boil snow to flush the toilet. It probably won't get fixed until the weather warms up....I'm not pleased. My landlords tried to put heaters on the pipes but maybe too little too late. Sigh. Maybe this was orchestrated by Ruckus to avoid the dreaded bath!!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Can you wrap the pipes in insulation? How can you go without water until spring??

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Can you wrap the pipes in insulation? How can you go without water until spring??

Our landlord has a plumber coming tomorrow. The problem is that you can't actually see the pipes, so they'd have to be excavated from the ground under our courtyard or torn out of the walls. There is no way to go without water until spring. But it might I to next week. Our landlord offered to get us a hotel room, so if the plumber can't fix it tomorrow that might be our only choice, but I don't want to leave Ruckus alone in a hotel room, so one of us would have to be there with him....I just really hope it gets fixed...

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Yikes. We have similar issues with our older places in Arlington. We just moved to Fairfax, how does ruckus do alone in the house? We have a walker come by for taco. If we can help in any way, send a pm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:faint: not till spring..... :eek:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh that stinks… we are getting hammered again here, 3 more inches ON top of the 7-10 inches we already got. Oh and that is on TOP off about 1 inches of pure ice. I had to take my hubby's 4x4 truck to get my daughter from her grandmother's tonight. We are hunkering down for the week I guess… Lol

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Yikes. We have similar issues with our older places in Arlington. We just moved to Fairfax, how does ruckus do alone in the house? We have a walker come by for taco. If we can help in any way, send a pm.

We've thought of moving to Arlington or Fairfax. A garage and a yard would be so great, I just can't give up the city quite yet.

Ruckus does fine in the house alone, although Keith works from home a lot now so Ruckus is spoiled. When he was a puppy we'd always find something chewed, but he's quite trustworthy now.

When we were both out of the house Ruckus sort of conformed to our schedule. I'd take him for a super long walk right when I woke up then a quick potty break before leaving for work and he would sleep the entire time we were gone. I was good friends with the upstairs neighbor at our d place and our dogs love one another so we'd trade off watching them. She's a doctor so was home a lot during the day and would let them play with one another and I would watch her dog when she was gone.

We tried a dog walker once but he was just letting Ruckus out to pee and putting him back inside instead of the 30 minute walk we paid for so one of us comes home at lunch to let him out if needed. We also have -- and don't laugh -- a security camera -- basically a glorified baby monitor -- mounted in our living room so we check in on him so we know if he's just snoozing then there's no need to rush home.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I hope things will get resolves soon for you guys, Jackie. This cannot be fun at all. Living in a hotel sounds like a nice little adventure tho! :think:

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
City living is easy to give up once you realize the updated and modern space you can have (and for cheaper!) just 20 mins out! No laughing here, I have an IP cam in the living room and kitchen.

3d17ea5e800dbc11f9c0f82ce9e6d24b.jpg

If Ruckus needs a temporary babysitter, I'm trying to convince my wife Taco needs a friend, but she doesn't think we can handle two, lol. She's probably right.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Living in a quaint old carriage house doesn't seem as great as it normally does when your pipes freeze and you're going on 2 full days without water. Luckily there are showers at my gym and at work....but gross we had to boil snow to flush the toilet. It probably won't get fixed until the weather warms up....I'm not pleased. My landlords tried to put heaters on the pipes but maybe too little too late. Sigh. Maybe this was orchestrated by Ruckus to avoid the dreaded bath!!!!

What are you guys gonna do if they can't fix the pipes??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13366]YHSublime[/MENTION]

I don't think Chris or I would ever give up city living. At least not year round even though we live in a 700sq 1 bedroom apartment. Love the city too much and I need
people around me. I get nervous when it's too quiet.

We just bought a 2800sq house (waiting for the closing). It's a weekend/summer place. Chris said during the summers, I should just stay there with the bullies and he'll come up
for the weekends. Make the most of it, ya know? I was like Oh heeeeeeeeeellll no. Too scared to be there alone. I'd start hearing things and drive myself crazy. :nervous:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@YHSublime

I don't think Chris or I would ever give up city living. At least not year round even though we live in a 700sq 1 bedroom apartment. Love the city too much and I need
people around me. I get nervous when it's too quiet.

We just bought a 2800sq house (waiting for the closing). It's a weekend/summer place. Chris said during the summers, I should just stay there with the bullies and he'll come up
for the weekends. Make the most of it, ya know? I was like Oh heeeeeeeeeellll no. Too scared to be there alone. I'd start hearing things and drive myself crazy. :nervous:

This city mouse has turned country mouse for sure… Lol I grew up in the city, and now that I have lived on both coasts and Europe I have decided that I prefer open spaces. I'm trying to convince the hubby that once the kids are gone I want to move WAY OUT… like Colorado, Montana or the Dakotas. As long as I have the internet for shopping, and the occasional trip to "town" I'm good… Lol

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
What are you guys gonna do if they can't fix the pipes??

I'm so exhausted from it....the plumbers came out and cut holes in the drywall and couldn't find the pipes (some plumbers...I don't know where my landlord found these people) then finally found them and their suggestion was to put a space heater in the wall to try to warm them up...except the pipes didn't feel very cold so the freeze or break is likely underground...so they might have to dig up part of the courtyard...with no real timeframe.

Luckily our gym is nearby so we can shower there and there are also showers at my office. Our landlords said they'd pay for meals we have to order out and we can send out laundry out, but I'm super allergic to scented detergents so that won't work.

They offered to put us in a hotel also, but the one they reserved doesn't allow dogs so we'd have to get special permission for Ruckus to be there, it's not close to anything, and we'd have to pack up everything and drive over. I'm going to talk to them about a different hotel maybe closer to my office or closer to our house so we can easily retrieve things. I'm also worried about leaving Ruckus alone in a hotel room. I would hate for someone to come in to clean not realizing he's there and get scared...and I'm always paranoid someone will steal him...

Sorry to ramble, but ugh this is no fun.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so exhausted from it....the numbers came out and cut holes in the drywall and couldn't find the pipes (some plumbers...I don't know where my landlord found these people) then finally found them and their suggestion was to put a space heater in the wall to try to warm them up...except the pipes didn't feel very cold so the freeze or break is likely underground...so they might have to dig up part of the courtyard...with no real timeframe.

Luckily our gym is nearby so we an shower there and there are so showers at my office. Our landlords said they'd pay for meals we have to order out and we an send out laundry out, but I'm super allergic to scented detergents so that won't work.

They offered to put us in a hotel also, but the one they reserved doesn't allow dogs so we'd have to get special permission for Ruckus to be there, it's not close to anything, and we'd have to pack up everything and drive over. I'm going to talk to them about a different hotel maybe closer to my office or closer to our house so we can easily retrieve things. I'm also worried about leaving Ruckus alone in a hotel room. I would hate for someone to come in to clean not realizing he's there and get scared...and I'm always paranoid someone will steal him...

Sorry to ramble, but ugh this is no fun.

Oh man… what a PITA!!! I'm so so sorry… I can't believe they couldn't find the pipes, and suggested a space heater in the walls?!! Isn't that a fire hazard?!! Sounds like it might be time to find a new place… and please rant away!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.