Why can't major decisions be easy????

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
So as empty-nesters, Terri and I decided to sell our house and move to the historical part of town and down size to a small Craftsman Bungalow (my absolute dream house, before even being married or kids)
But as I get the house ready for putting it on the market, I fall in love with it all over again. Then I start thinking. Should I just invest in getting this house to my version of a "dream house" or should I move to what I have been wanting for sometime.

There are so many pros and cons to each.
this house cons: two story (getting older not younger)
almost too large for two people, not historic or in the historic area with shops and restaurants we frequent. great family town but not a wonderful place for us (ultra conservative) Needs to have an updated Kitchen.
Pros: garage, large yard, spa like area with pool in backyard, big enough yard to have RV, close to parents and we do have equity in it

Historic house cons: smaller yard, chances are no garage or room for RV. Most lots are too small for pools. More money for the sq footage, Duval county is higher in Taxes and utilities.
Pros: in area we LOVE, historic, priceless woodwork etc... Smaller for two people and all we have looked at are renovated in Baths and Kitchen!

If only the New Years Resolution Fairy would tell me what to do.:confused:

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
IMO If the historic house is what you have always wanted GO FOR IT!!
You can find a place to store the RV, and if you can't let me know I'll
come get it. :p

The backyard would be the hardest part for me. I love to have a backyard.
They are great to just relax in or to entertain guests. Really that would be
the hardest part of my decision.

Good luck with your choice.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
AWW i love ur house:luv: but i think if u look hard enough u can find ur dream bungalow with a nice yard and room for the RV...i will keeep my eye open while house hunting Also

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ooooh that does seem tough. I guess you really need to think about this more. Do you plan on getting an RV? How often do you swim? Are you holding on because of memories more than the actual need for things? Maybe you still need to keep looking? I know I probably just made it worse not better! LOL

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Ooooh that does seem tough. I guess you really need to think about this more. Do you plan on getting an RV? How often do you swim? Are you holding on because of memories more than the actual need for things? Maybe you still need to keep looking? I know I probably just made it worse not better! LOL

We live the summer in our pool and have parties and BBQ's all the time. We already have an RV that we can park in the side yard. [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] came over and her little boy called it a Semi, it was so cute.

[MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION], did you ever check into the house across the street? Oh I wish I could rent mine out to you, it would work out for both of us. But we have to sell to qualify for the Riverside house.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
We looked....it just seems he is a little overboard on the dog fees and wants first and last rent plus 2,000 deposit......i think maybe he bumped his head lol. So we are still looking. Your Semi was gone and so was your racecar when we drove by ...he was asking where you were lol.

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
i didnt notice the word "LOVE" for your current home on its pros except when saying that you were falling in "love" with it again...as you stated, current home is too big for just 2 of you and do ya really wanna keep mowing and upkeep of a larger home especially when you think of it in your later years...i know i dont want grass growing on my lot once i get 80, heck i dont even want it now:lol: Hope you make the right decision and makes you both happy

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well it sounds like having a pool is HUGE part of your life as it is now, would you be just as happy without? I am not a great help here either but let me say the house we bought from an older couple who wanted a newer home in a 55+ community and after talking to them a little while back, they regret selling this house and wish they were back here again. That would be the hardest part to me is the regrets you may have after the fact. The grass isnt always greener unfortunately. I say hold out and keep looking for that house that has all the most important qualities you are looking for. Maybe make a list of what IS important or most important, pool, rv space etc... Then as you look make a check list and see how the houses stack up that way. Just dont settle when you find the right one you will know it.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
what a tough decision. like suggested above...i would definately look long and hard for exactly what you want. i'm sure some regrets are bound to come up if you do relocate but i often tell myself "i only live once and i want to enjoy life". :) best of luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.