Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: vacation planning is such a hassle

Quote Originally Posted by dozersmama View Post
    Even though it's a gift I am still an extremley frugal person:bust: I cant help it lol.
    I feel you on that! I'm the same way! Lots of good options out there, definitely a tough choice!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@dozersmama Right now the high is 80 and the low is 69... typically you can expect the highs to be in low 80s in the Winter with an occasional dip to 78-79, and stays comfortable in the summer with the highs in upper 80s. The key to the comfort here is the trade winds keeping the humidity low... sometimes we lose the trade winds for a couple days though, and things get sticky.

The water temp is typically around 77 in the winter and 82 in the summer... this is cooler than the Gulf Coast and Florida in the summer, but warmer in the winter.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

been to caymon and cozumel both on cruises never to p.r.... they are both great if you go the best bet is to do a all inclusive deal and make sure the alcohol drinks are included some hotels include it some dont at these places you can eat at the resturants for free some have up to 3 resturants and maybe one nite go eat somewhere on the town, its nice cause you really wont have to leave the hotel at all unless you go shopping and most hotels even have nice gift shops inside.... also you can book a excursion through the hotel.
    cruises are alot of fun ive been on 3 carnival cruises and it can get really expensive fast if you dont watch. alcohol drinks are extremely outrages in price you could spend 100 dollars easy on drinks in one day (if your a drinker). now if you just drink sodas then its free. the only bad thing is when you port at each location you have so long to do whatever you want then you have to be back on the ship at a certain time. i believe one stop is a all day deal and the other is half a day. so if you wanna go do a excursion you have to make sure you book it at a time that you make sure you can get there on time and back to boat on time depending on how far you go and they will leave you!!!

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

I think after hearing lexterwaynes account a cruise is definantly not for me. I like some of the tourist things but I would be jsut as happy sitting on a quiet beach all day or walking in the rain forrest somewhere. I was really thinking about cozumel because of the national parks one of which is a coral reef the food I mexican food and the ruins which i would love to see. But ther is a lot of crime there now so that is probably out of the question
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

we were actually planning a vacation to cabo for feb but stuff came up and so vac just isnt the option right now i went like 3 yrs ago to cancun and ive always been told when in mexico and jamaica DO NOT GO ANYWHERE BY YOURSELF DONT TALK TO ANYONE JUST KEEP WALKING!!! if you stay within your hotel and stay in your group or stay around a big group its gonna be less likely of anything happening to you. stay in lighted areas never go in a dark places especially alone. and really the big tourist towns like cozumel cancun cabo etc its not gonna be as bad as when your close to the cali/texas border. just go and have a good time but be responsible and have common sense if you dont feel good about something then dont go lol...

dont get me wrong cruises are a blast if you have the money to spend. and you dont have to get off at any of the ports you can stay on the ship if you want. if you wanna just go look around you can and then go back to the ship.
    Last edited by lexterwayne; 01-26-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@Telly03 I have decided on ( insert drum roll here) Hawaii!! NO passports needed .. No worry about getting kidnapped or not speaking the language., And beautiful water as far as the eye can see. Thanks Telly for the help now i just need some insider information on things not to be missed while im there. Also which island should i stay on? Also is there anything i should avoid while there ie. tourist traps. I know that I want to go see the volcanoes and mostly the beach but im totally open to ideas. Yay i can't wait!! also what was that you were saying about a bulldog fix?
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

You're lucky. I actually had two airline tickets and a hotel booked to Maui about three years ago ... when the airlines started folding. The airline I had tickets through went out of business and there went my trip. Good thing too, Bentley tore his ACL right before we were supposed to leave!

Have fun...take pics!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I've only been to one island in Hawaii, the big island and we stayed in the town of Kona. GREAT place! My mom has been lots of times and she prefers it there. The Big Island has the volcano national park, a beautiful black sand beach, the thing we did most there was snorkeling. Wonderful experience!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@dozersmama OK, that was the easy part because you have just opened the door to a slew of options that you need chew on... First off, which island or islands? Also for @kazzy220 who was planning a trip as well

Oahu - This is the crowded island... three quarters of Hawaii's population lives here. If your looking for the relaxed "old Hawaii" experience, you probably do not want to spend your entire trip here, if any. There is plenty to do here though

---- The Arizona Memorial is the most visited Hawaiian attraction. Arrive early as there is a line and it is "first come first served"
    ---- The Polynesian Culture Center is one of my fav place to bring visitors as it is a full day of visiting displays, activities and shows from the Pacific Islands, and at the end of the day you are able to enjoy a Luau and a really good show. You will be exhausted by the end of the day.
    ---- There are other Luau's available if interested, such as Germaine's and Paradise Cove
    ---- Waikiki Beach is overated in my opinion... very crowded, but I guess that is where most the hotels are, and the famous Daimond Head in the background.
    ---- Kailua Beach is probably the prettiest beach of all the islands, and it is on the prettiest side of the island (Windward/East)
    ---- Watersports are avail on all islands if your interested in parasailing or fishing. My personal best so far is a 200 pound Marlin, but I'm not done yet.
    ---- Koolau Ranch has activities such as ATV rentals, horse back riding, catamaran ride and a movie set tour. This is where they filmed several movies including Lost, Mighty Joe Young, 51st Dates, and many others.
    ---- These are just a few of the attractions

Maui
    ---- This is more laid back with some cool Hippee towns and shops, as well as some incredible restaurants.
    ---- The drive to Hana is really pretty, but long and winding. I heard it can test your marriage, but we handled it just fine... plenty places to stop for a short hike to pools.
    ---- Drive up to the mountain peak to watch the sunrise and renting a bike to ride down is also fun.

Kauai
    ---- This is the prettiest most lush island with a large canyon that is quite a sight to fly over in a helicopter, and the fern grotto is really nice.

Hawaii
    ---- This is the largest of the islands with varied climates.
    ---- This is a must visit if you want to see a volcano. The Volcano Nat Park just outside of Kona is pretty amazing and is another great place for a helicopter tour, although just exploring by car is pretty cool in itself.
    ---- Visiting a black sand beach is a unique experience
    ---- If your an Astronomy buff, then you can arrange a tour on top of the huge mountain that has massive telescopes. It is quite an experience to watch the sun go down and to witness the shadow of the mountain move across the island. Makes you feel like your on top of the world. It does get cold on top of the mountain though and at times has snow.

If you and kazzy would like to message me your addresses, I would be happy to send you some island guides in the mail to get you started... then you can start throwing questions at me.

Oh yes, and of course you have to stop by to visit Moe and have lunch... would love to meet you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Telly03 can you give good info on wedding stuff as well?

yay congrats so glad you found a spot i cant wait to go!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@lexterwayne I personally do not have any experience with weddings here... I got hitched in Kentucky.

You will find numerous outfits that will plan a Hawaiian wedding for you from a Google search, but I don't know the reputation of any of them. There are of course several islands to choose from, but if I was to plan for a wedding on this island though (Oahu), I personally would consider something at the Turtle Bay Resort, which is a very nice, romantic and relaxing resort that is up at the North Shore, away from the Waikiki hustle and bustle. Actually that is the resort at which the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" was filmed. I was there while they were filming the movie and I found (not stole) the entire script and daily schedule for the lead actress... I didn't know who to turn it in to, so I kept it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here are some links that may give you an idea for a Turtle Bay wedding:

Hawaiian Vacations: Turtle Bay Resort Spa North Shore Oahu Hawaii Islands hotels golf getaways packages weddings meetings facilities suites restaurants dining accommodations attractions

Hawaii Weddings Packages: Turtle Bay Resort Hawaii Luxury Wedding Receptions Honeymoons Planning

Oahu Weddings, Turtle Bay Resort Honeymoon & Beach Oahu Wedding, Oahu Wedding Package, Weddings in Oahu

Oahu Weddings, Turtle Bay Resort Glass Chapel Oahu Wedding, Chapel Weddings in Oahu
    Last edited by Telly03; 01-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bfletch13 View Post
    I want to go to Europe. Not exactly beachy,
    but I'm sure they have some too.

Ahem @bfletch13 ... I'll have you know that there are alot of beaches in Europe ... Spain, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey, Italy, and Skegness just to name a few. Isn't that right @Lucylambchop!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads