RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I have told my sister I would cook a Turducken on the green egg for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have advice on the do's and don't? Ralphie

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no idea! Maybe [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] knows? Do we have any turducken recipes on taste tested recipes?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've heard people doing this, but never experienced or cooked one

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My hubby has wanted to cook one of those for years… they usually sell out around here fast so we have been unable to get one yet… Lol I'm sure that my hubby would put in in the deep fryer if he could...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I will ask my brother; he's a chef and i think he's made one before (not positive). Good on you [MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION] for taking this cooking challenge!

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Weesie bought me one pre-made several years ago. All I had to do is cook it. It was a Cajun Turducken from Louisiana. But this year I thought "how hard is it"? I can order my Duck from The Fresh Market. So I am good there. Weesie said she would make the Stuffing for me. From all I have found online it will take about 12 hours. We shall see. Wonder if Kentucky Fried Chicken is open on Thanksgiving for my Plan B?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Weesie bought me one pre-made several years ago. All I had to do is cook it. It was a Cajun Turducken from Louisiana. But this year I thought "how hard is it"? I can order my Duck from The Fresh Market. So I am good there. Weesie said she would make the Stuffing for me. From all I have found online it will take about 12 hours. We shall see. Wonder if Kentucky Fried Chicken is open on Thanksgiving for my Plan B?

:rofl: We have a turkey fryer, and once you start doing that you NEVER go back… I'm just glad the hubby didn't burn the house down… Lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Never "made one" but Joe and I always wanted to try one. We ordered 4 years ago from a butcher. We picked it up fresh and all that I had to do was cook it. It is very interesting, and a no go for us again. It cost us big bucks to order one ($120) and no one at my Thanksgiving really loved it. I hope your's turn's out better than the one we ordered!! Between each bird was a different type of stuffing. Just wasen't our thing. We like traditional, but was worth the try.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We've made one from scratch before! You need to buy three deboned birds from your butcher. This will be expensive, and call ahead. We cooked three different stuffings to go inside each bird (traditional). I'm a huge fan of stove top, so that went into the deboned chicken. We then used string to truss up the chicken, with stove top inside, and seared the outside of it. Once seared and cooked halfway-ish, we set aside until we had the duck splayed out with cornbread stuffing laid out on top of the inside of the duck. (MAKE SURE YOU RENDER THE DUCK FAT for basting! whatever you do, do NOT leave it on the duck). When the duck and stuffing are laid out like two sheets of paper, take the strings off the chicken and roll that in the middle. Now you have a log with (outside) duck cornbread chicken stove top (inside). Last step is to make an oyster creole stuffing (don't recall recipe). Get that turkey all splayed out (the only bones left in by our butcher were the legs) and put that stuffing on the inside of the bird. Lay duck/chx roll down and wrap that turkey over it like a ton ton. we used kitchen string and heat safe ties to keep the bird together.

Use a meat thermometer to make sure it's done well enough. Assemble at room temp and Don't refrigerate the birds after assembling, it will only take longer to cook and you risk over/under cooking if meats are cold. GOOD LUCK! ours was delicious.

:)

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
:rofl: We have a turkey fryer, and once you start doing that you NEVER go back… I'm just glad the hubby didn't burn the house down… Lol

If you had a Big Green Egg you would put your turkey fryer in your next yard sale.

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
We've made one from scratch before! You need to buy three deboned birds from your butcher. This will be expensive, and call ahead. We cooked three different stuffings to go inside each bird (traditional). I'm a huge fan of stove top, so that went into the deboned chicken. We then used string to truss up the chicken, with stove top inside, and seared the outside of it. Once seared and cooked halfway-ish, we set aside until we had the duck splayed out with cornbread stuffing laid out on top of the inside of the duck. (MAKE SURE YOU RENDER THE DUCK FAT for basting! whatever you do, do NOT leave it on the duck). When the duck and stuffing are laid out like two sheets of paper, take the strings off the chicken and roll that in the middle. Now you have a log with (outside) duck cornbread chicken stove top (inside). Last step is to make an oyster creole stuffing (don't recall recipe). Get that turkey all splayed out (the only bones left in by our butcher were the legs) and put that stuffing on the inside of the bird. Lay duck/chx roll down and wrap that turkey over it like a ton ton. we used kitchen string and heat safe ties to keep the bird together.

Use a meat thermometer to make sure it's done well enough. Assemble at room temp and Don't refrigerate the birds after assembling, it will only take longer to cook and you risk over/under cooking if meats are cold. GOOD LUCK! ours was delicious.

:)

Why didn't you debone the birds yourself? The recipe I have uses three shisk kabobs skewers to hold the three birds together. Thanks for the advice.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
ALOT of work, and assembling and cooking is enough work on thanksgiving. You can hold the birds together however you like! I hope you have some antibacterial spray on hand afterwards, or bleach, because our kitchen was disgusting after assembling :)

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
ALOT of work, and assembling and cooking is enough work on thanksgiving. You can hold the birds together however you like! I hope you have some antibacterial spray on hand afterwards, or bleach, because our kitchen was disgusting after assembling :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online