The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I kind of alluded to something in another post so I might as well bring it out here. My kids are getting older with my son just turning 20 and my daughter heading off to college in the fall of 2016 so the wife and i started talking about what we want to do with our technical "empty nest". We both love to travel, but with my wife disability it makes it difficult to fly to the places we want to see due to her not being able to sit for long periods so we had to come up with something else. So we started thinking about her love for cooking and my love for making great BBQ and what we could do with that. What we finally came up with is something that i am totally surprised that my wife agreed to but hey I am not going to knock it.

So, what we decided is that after the first of the year I would look for an old 1940's/1950's pickup that we could restore together with my wife choosing the colors inside and out and me dealing with all of the technical and mechanical and restoration work. I am in luck with this as I have several friends that have all the tools and shop space that I would need to take on something like this. Knowing that i would have OCD restoring this thing i know it will take me about 2 years to get it the way I would want it, so about mid way through I would also begin working with a metal fabrication company to begin building a matching 16' trailer BBQ pit, and once everything was completed we would start hitting the regional BBQ competitions in Texas with the goal of hitting Memphis in May for the World Championships and then once we retire for good we would hit the BBQ road with Harlea and enjoy life.

Doing this is something i have always dreamed of and one way or another it is going to happen.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Holy WOW that sounds AWESOME!!! :w00t: Of course I'm SUPER jealous that you will have an empty nest soon… LMAO!!! If/when you come to Memphis you NEED to let me know, we will totally drive up there to have another EBN reunion… did I forget to mention that I LOVE BBQ!!! Lol :happydance:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well you can come to Maryland and bring your bbq trailer. My Aggie neighbor was lucky and got to visit home (Houston) and had BBQ and rubbed it in.

That is a great vision and I wish you luck. Did you think about one of those touring RV's? My Uncle and Aunt (Yoakum, Tx) have one and there on the road alot to new Mexico for the Hatch Pepper fest and the Hot Air Balloons...to N.C and they even stopped in to Maryland and stayed at the RV park on Ft. Meade after the trip the Maine and the east coast routes.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
What an amazing plan!!! Sounds like a fabulous way to enjoy life! If you go to memphis, we will drive down with the bullies and sample some of your BBQ.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Holy WOW that sounds AWESOME!!! :w00t: Of course I'm SUPER jealous that you will have an empty nest soon… LMAO!!! If/when you come to Memphis you NEED to let me know, we will totally drive up there to have another EBN reunion… did I forget to mention that I LOVE BBQ!!! Lol :happydance:

You know we visit Jackson, TN every other year to see my wife's parents. It isn't that far from you.

Well you can come to Maryland and bring your bbq trailer. My Aggie neighbor was lucky and got to visit home (Houston) and had BBQ and rubbed it in.

That is a great vision and I wish you luck. Did you think about one of those touring RV's? My Uncle and Aunt (Yoakum, Tx) have one and there on the road alot to new Mexico for the Hatch Pepper fest and the Hot Air Balloons...to N.C and they even stopped in to Maryland and stayed at the RV park on Ft. Meade after the trip the Maine and the east coast routes.

We thought about a nice class A RV but several of my friends have them and they are nothing but money pits. Plus I couldn't afford one with everything i would want.

What an amazing plan!!! Sounds like a fabulous way to enjoy life! If you go to memphis, we will drive down with the bullies and sample some of your BBQ.

Thank you. When we do make it to Memphis in May i will be sure to let everyone know. We are planning on going next year, but just for fun and not to compete. We just want to hit our old stomping grounds and the places we met and had our first date and such. lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I can't believe you are just NOW telling me you come to Jackson!!! Lol I have NO idea if that's close to me… :ponder:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
What a great goal!! You have the time of your life. Good for you.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can't believe you are just NOW telling me you come to Jackson!!! Lol I have NO idea if that's close to me… :ponder:
It is almost halfway between Memphis and Nashville. About 120 miles from Clarksville.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Congratulations!! Bring on the BBQ, only one thing.....you have to make a trip through Arizona and let me know when you are here so I too can taste the BBQ. Memphis is just a little too far but I go to Texas often too so I would be willing to go there too. Again, congratulations!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
awesome plans... best of luck pulling it all together --- love to see the pictures are you work on the pick-up!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hey, I'm coming to Memphis, too. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and I can meet in Nashville and hit the road! [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] We can have a Bullie and BBQ meetup!! (BBQ on the house.....heh,heh!) :bully::chef::yeah:

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thanks everyone. I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen. In the brief search I have done so far I may be better off buying a partially restored one as some of the prices for ones needing restoration are a joke.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone. I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen. In the brief search I have done so far I may be better off buying a partially restored one as some of the prices for ones needing restoration are a joke.

You can retire in your early 40's? Damn man, you are the man!!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You can retire in your early 40's? Damn man, you are the man!!
Nope i can't retire in my 40's. Made a few bad f8nancial decisions in my 20's so I will be lucky to fully retire 20 years after i am worm food. We are just going to start preparing for it early and once my daughter hits college we will have our weekends free again to do things like this and other things we have been putting off. At least until we have grand kids then it will be time to spoil them rotten.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Can you swing by Suffolk a county, NY? I'll bring the hot sauce!
Thats a great plan Todd good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.