Is anyone got experience with Dyslexia

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Hi all - this could end of as a rant but I will reframe, not sure if anyone has someone effected with Dyslexia.

In Australia Dyslexia is diagnosed it is not recognised by the government, there is no help and no funding and most of our schools do not recognise it, do not know what to do about, do not give any assistance, leaving parents to try educate their own kids.

Well, this has affected my family hugely over the last couple of years, my oldest after a very long and painful road with a school was diagnosed last year,he is dyslexic !! Wow we were gobsmacked. It is quite upsetting watching you very bright happy child, struggle and struggle and lose so much confidence in himself.

Too cut the longest nightmare story short, after being at a totally unsupportive school and horrible staff and principal when it came to helping my son we had to move to another school away from our area. This New school has done a great job and he is doing better but I still think the schools have no idea, but at least they are trying.

I do know UK are helping dyslexics but I wonder what the US is like?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
My extremely limited knowledge of this is that my sister was (is?) dyslectic in school. My mom found her a tutor that was also a high school teacher that taught her skills to be successful in school. After that year of tutoring she didn't struggle near as much, maybe not at all. I remember how frustrated she was before and how confident she was after the help. She was in the 5th or 6th grade before they figured out what was wrong. No one at our school knew what to do to help her. It was another school district teacher that tutored her. Good luck. Hope you find someone that knows how to help your son.

OP
Bazza

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
My extremely limited knowledge of this is that my sister was (is?) dyslectic in school. My mom found her a tutor that was also a high school teacher that taught her skills to be successful in school. After that year of tutoring she didn't struggle near as much, maybe not at all. I remember how frustrated she was before and how confident she was after the help. She was in the 5th or 6th grade before they figured out what was wrong. No one at our school knew what to do to help her. It was another school district teacher that tutored her. Good luck. Hope you find someone that knows how to help your son.

Thanks Roseann, I will be finding him a tutor for next year, yes he is very frustrated but does have a very understanding teacher.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Andrea have you heard of the Rose coloured glasses that help with Dyslexia it puts all the letters and words back in order we had a few children in childcare with this and a couple had these glasses and they were a great improvement to both their studies and their confidence.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.