Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any advice for life with a diabetic (Non-EB) dog??

Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tia
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any advice for life with a diabetic (Non-EB) dog??

Taz just keeps getting better and better. This morning (at about 8am), I took his sugar levels at breakfast and insulin time, since we reduced him by 6 units twice a day, and he was at 3.6. I HAD to go to sleep (I work overnights), so I skipped his morning dose, just to be sure he didn't crash, and left my daughter with instructions to wake me up if he started drinking a lot, etc. When I woke up at 3pm, I checked his sugars and he was at 8.3 (JUUUUUUUUST above "norm"). So that was about 18 hours after his insulin shot. Tonight we are cutting him back even more and are trying him on 10 units.

I REALLY don't want to be giving him insulin when he could get low and we would be asleep or not home to see him crash so we can fix it, so we are trying to be really easy with the insulin, especially since he really seems to be improving.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any advice for life with a diabetic (Non-EB) dog??

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsBull View Post
    Taz just keeps getting better and better. This morning (at about 8am), I took his sugar levels at breakfast and insulin time, since we reduced him by 6 units twice a day, and he was at 3.6. I HAD to go to sleep (I work overnights), so I skipped his morning dose, just to be sure he didn't crash, and left my daughter with instructions to wake me up if he started drinking a lot, etc. When I woke up at 3pm, I checked his sugars and he was at 8.3 (JUUUUUUUUST above "norm"). So that was about 18 hours after his insulin shot. Tonight we are cutting him back even more and are trying him on 10 units.

I REALLY don't want to be giving him insulin when he could get low and we would be asleep or not home to see him crash so we can fix it, so we are trying to be really easy with the insulin, especially since he really seems to be improving.
    I'm so glad to hear that he's responding so well to the insulin… great work mom!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads