Kitchen design help needed

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I am remodeling a rental house i purchased. It has a small rectangular but narrow kitchen, with a large window behind the sink. I would like to paint the cabinets and add new hardware as they are lovely 70's orange stain color but in good shape I also want to put down new flooring maybe a small tile back splash. I am not a decorator. I need it to be nice modern and kind of neutral but I am not opposed to color. any suggestions would be helpful. Also as this is a rental property it needs to be on the cheap side, but I don't want it to be low quality lol confusing I know. I want to make this a place I would be proud to live in but jsut not make my permanent home. Not antother crappy rental house.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Boy, I'm a bad one to ask, since I recently painted my kitchen bright red! (Just one accent way, not the whole thing). Nothing neutral there! I think if the room is small you shouldn't use a dark color, it will make the room look even smaller. I think I would choose a color I like and do the cabinets in that color, a medium shade and then do the walls a lighter shade of that color. Maybe a slightly darker shade on the back-splash. Then something very neutral for the floor, since repainting isn't hard when you move out, but you wouldn't want to put down more flooring. Let us see pics when you get it done. Here is one of my kitchen. I made new curtains and my son spray painted the ceiling fan, which used to be sage green.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I would use products that look high end but are cheap. Definately will make a huge difference in painting the cupboards and adding new hardware. I always watch those home shows on HGTV and slice. They are the best! Make sure to accent with bright colours to make it inviting! Also I think as long as everything is clean it makes a huge difference. Good luck and have fun, post some pics if you can! [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] my sister just painted her bathroom red! Looks good!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
highly suggest neutrals. Does your landlord know you want to do this? Sometimes if you do the work, a landlord will purchase the supplies. Painting old cabinets is going to be the cheapest and easiest route and then placing on nice hardware, which now you can find nice looking pieces at big box stores such as Lowes/Home Depot etc...As far as flooring, it all depends on what you have on whether you can just cover (not the best solution) or remove the old and replace all together. there are some peel and stick squares out there that look almost like real tile. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Nesting a little early aren't you????

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] this is a really really old thread lol. I still haven't finished my kitchen but ,I own the house so I have to pay for the whole darn thing =(

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oooooh, kitchen redesign! I love hgtv-type stuff!

I actually frequent Rate My Space section of HGTV to get good creative ideas. I would go to the kitchen section and sort it by descending star-rating and browse, browse, browse!

I watch this show on TV - DIY or HGTV, I can't remember - but it's about kitchen make-overs and lately, they have been showcasing the recycled hard surface countertops. It's basically left-over granite, quartz, corian, stone, all mashed up together into a hard-surface countertop that is 1/2 the price of granite and just as durable and nice to look at.

On dark colors and small rooms... not necessarily bad if it's an accent color. My son's room is 10x11 and he wanted it painted red and black (his favorite colors). With all the red stuff already in his room, I was afraid it was going to look very small and oppressing. But, check it out - it actually came out amazing!
raphaels room.jpg

raphaels room 2.jpg

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]. Thanks great idea. I love your son's room, it's really cute, but i'm surprised he let you put flowers in it lol.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess . Thanks great idea. I love your son's room, it's really cute, but i'm surprised he let you put flowers in it lol.

LOL! Yeah... both my kids actually like the flowers. :D I mean - it could be just their way of saying, okay, mom, since you're the only girl in the house, we'll put up with the flowers... but, there's flowers in each of their bedrooms and their bathroom... :D

So yeah, Bullie is the only other girl in the house and they wrestle with her like she's a boy, so she's "one of the guys". I don't wrestle - I'm the princess. Princesses don't wrestle. They might hit you with a skillet and wrangle you with their super long hair... but they don't wrestle.. :D

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
So... should we bite and ask for links? :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yep, us too, but we can't ban him till he actually breaks the rules and posts links.
Ohhhh! Well he can't be that dingy..that he's trying to advertise without advertising??? I think it's funny..cuz we just start talking for anything!!
...but [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]..your sons room is great!! Lol!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So... should we bite and ask for links? :D
These spammers think they can outsmart us and come back and sneak the links in by editing old posts. We watch for them though :close:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.