ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for sharing this article, it was very interesting… I've never owned a pit-bull, so I have zero experience w/them. The people around me that DO own them IMO have not trained them properly… when you are afraid to have people over to your house because you can't control your dog (or you are afraid of what your dog MAY do) that's a problem!!! I absolutely LOVE german shepherds, but right now my life revolves around my kids/grandkid. I don't feel I have the time to work w/one, and I don't want to put my kids at risk. So I don't have one… simple as that. If you can't put the time in to train/work w/a dog like that, then you really shouldn't own one… it's unfair to everyone involved.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Never owned one and probably never will as they have never been my cup of tea, but one of Harlea's playmates is a Pit and he is as sweet as can be to everyone and everything. I am a firm believer though that 95% of the time it is the owner that has made the dog a monster and not the dog itself.

Sadly, after reading the paper today it is looking more and more like the KFC incident is a hoax or didn't happen like it is being reported and is being investigated by a 3rd party now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
simplehermit

simplehermit

Jul 25, 2013
Delaware
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Thank you for your comment.

In my own experience, whenever i hear/read of a dog attack/mauling, it's in almost every case a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix.

I was interested in the genetics analysis, and it makes sense. But then i wonder how they altered the English Bulldog from a bull fighter to a sweetie-pie? Pretty successful "selective breeding", i guess.

It was interesting to read the history of how Pit Bulls came to overwhelm the country and create so many advocates. It's sickening that these advocates ignore or try to explain away the risks, and seem to shrug off the casualties, even and especially innocent children. This is unconscionable.

You go to the SPCA here and look at their offerings--- they're mostly all Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes.

Common sense says "avoid Pit Bulls", but common sense is most uncommon.

I like all dogs but i'm so grateful to know what is the very BEST dog for me personally, the English Bulldog. I wish i could get a second one, but Hank doesn't like other dogs much. He's the jealous type. And since his first 2-1/2 years were not pleasant, he gets to be spoiled forevermore by me, to make up for it :D

Thanks again.

Last edited:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Never owned one and probably never will as they have never been my cup of tea, but one of Harlea's playmates is a Pit and he is as sweet as can be to everyone and everything. I am a firm believer though that 95% of the time it is the owner that has made the dog a monster and not the dog itself.

Sadly, after reading the paper today it is looking more and more like the KFC incident is a hoax or didn't happen like it is being reported and is being investigated by a 3rd party now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I saw that today, and I also read that KFC was paying for reconstructive surgery?!! WTH is wrong w/people today?!! Do we NOT have a moral code in this country?!! Makes me absolutely SICK to my stomach…

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I saw that today, and I also read that KFC was paying for reconstructive surgery?!! WTH is wrong w/people today?!! Do we NOT have a moral code in this country?!! Makes me absolutely SICK to my stomach…
Yeah. it is sickening. KFC said regardless of the outcome it was still donating $30,000 to the girls care which I think is cool and all but shame on the grandmother if it is indeed a hoax. Kind of reminds me of the kid that was supposedly floating away in a homemade balloon a few years ago with the parents being all over the news and the kid was hiding in the attic the whole time.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah. it is sickening. KFC said regardless of the outcome it was still donating $30,000 to the girls care which I think is cool and all but shame on the grandmother if it is indeed a hoax. Kind of reminds me of the kid that was supposedly floating away in a homemade balloon a few years ago with the parents being all over the news and the kid was hiding in the attic the whole time.

I'm so tired of all the lying and conniving that goes on anymore. And we wonder why the next generation of kids make poor choices?!! We reap what we sow...

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your comment.

In my own experience, whenever i hear/read of a dog attack/mauling, it's in almost every case a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix.

I was interested in the genetics analysis, and it makes sense. But then i wonder how they altered the English Bulldog from a bull fighter to a sweetie-pie? Pretty successful "selective breeding", i guess.

It was interesting to read the history of how Pit Bulls came to overwhelm the country and create so many advocates. It's sickening that these advocates ignore or try to explain away the risks, and seem to shrug off the casualties, even and especially innocent children. This is unconscionable.

You go to the SPCA here and look at their offerings--- they're mostly all Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes.

Common sense says "avoid Pit Bulls", but common sense is most uncommon.

I like all dogs but i'm so grateful to know what is the very BEST dog for me personally, the English Bulldog. I wish i could get a second one, but Hank doesn't like other dogs much. He's the jealous type. And since his first 2-1/2 years were not pleasant, he gets to be spoiled forevermore by me, to make up for it :D

Thanks again.

A good friend of mine is a vet tech, and she now works for animal control here locally. She told me that most dog bites locally are from golden retrievers and german shepherds… which I thought was interesting. Of course they are both popular dogs, so they would have more contact w/humans. Those statistics don't seem to make it "news worthy" anymore, you ONLY here about the pit breeds. I do think it's interesting to know WHY the bulldogs are such a sweet breed?!! My dog trainer told me that some of her WORST dogs were boxers, which so surprised me… my Roxie is an absolute angel :angelheart:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've never had a Pit Bull myself but hearing from others who have, they are quite sweet and gentle dogs. Pit Bulls today are the Doberman's and German Shepherds of years ago...scapegoats. I believe that any dog can be an aggressive dog; it's determined by socialization and behavioral training and responsible pet owners.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Guns don't kill people, people do.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I've never had a Pit Bull myself but hearing from others who have, they are quite sweet and gentle dogs. Pit Bulls today are the Doberman's and German Shepherds of years ago...scapegoats. I believe that any dog can be an aggressive dog; it's determined by socialization and behavioral training and responsible pet owners.

I couldn't agree more!
I had pit bulls and amstaffs back in Poland ( and my dad still got an Amstaff left in his care) my own dogs as well as foster dogs - and again in my own experience - it is all down how you bring the dog up , and how well you continue to do so ,i could even say that my MIL yorkie is more aggressive and scares the hell out of me than the fur babies i had a pleasure to live with.

I also heard from our vets that there are many attacks and dog bites from a breeds we consider family friendly

Media are very powerful tool to shape people conception of the breed,plus idiot owners to go with it

In uk any mutt dog who got short hair and slightly longer legs gets labelled as a pitbull type dog when something happen and when it comes to dog on dog attacks person with bigger dog always gets the blame -and it does not matter that the smaller dog might run into the chilled out dog and start first

Forgot to add link to the response article for the times one pointing up few mistakes (or facts) that weren't researched by the person who wrote the article for The Times
http://www.swaylove.org/the-many-problems-with-charlotte-alters-time-article-about-pit-bulls

Besides many interesting things being pointed out
I like the point no 4. -short and simple: "Mix breeds are not breed at all" (which always makes me surprised when dogs get thrown in one bucket as a pit type dog or pit mix)

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I had a pit once. She was a year old when I got her. Basically, I was young and didn't know she was a pit and let someone pawn her off on me. She loved me and the kids. She didn't like men until she got to know them. My daughter was about 5 and our Sheba was her protector. She let loose dogs in the yard as long as they didn't bark at my daughter. If they did, she wouldn't let them back. She guarded her all the times. She tried to bite a neighbor girl twice, one time nipping her throat. I thought it was am accident but watched her more closely. Then my son had a friend come over. The two boys were together and she tried to attack the boy. It was vicious. She went for his throat and we could barely keep her off him. It scared me to death. I had to make the decision to put her down as she only attacked children. I couldn't live with that or pawn her off on so someone else. I've always said she was the best dog I've ever had to MY family. Sadly, she was not ok with strangers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.