Ugh, frustrated!

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
So my 11 yr old daughter went to a new friend's house for the first time today. When I went to pick her up, the mother told me that her dog bit my daughter. Apparently she has a lab/boxer mix that they rescued in December. She told me the dog is aggressive to strangers.

She has 2 small puncture marks on her thigh which are swollen and bruised. The mother was very apologetic. It didn't really sink in what had happened, until I got home and looked at it. I'm a registered nurse, so I know how to care for it, I just feel upset that had to happen to her.

I called the dog owner to discuss with her the situation, and find out if the dog is current on vaccines. (It is). The dogs owner seems at her wits end about the dog and what to do about its behavior. I told her she needs to get the dog a trainer and that she got lucky the situation wasn't worse. She didn't know where to turn. I told her I would compose an email with a list of local trainers to get her help.

Apparently this dog has been re-homed several times for "issues". Why the rescue agency didn't address these issues before re-homing this dog, I don't know. …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, no, I"m sorry your daughter got bit! is she doing okay?

That is very thoughtful and kind of you to help this lady out and she's very lucky that you're as understanding as you are about what happened. I totally agree that this dog needs to have some good quality training for the "aggressive" behavior. Hopefully his owner will do this ASAP.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
How very crappy! Shame on that rescue for rehoming a dog like
that to a person NOT a trainer and obviously NOT prepared for
it's issues. Thank GOD, your daughter is okay and you're a Nurse
and know what to do & watch for. My sister got bit on the thumb
breaking up her dogs from fighting, it got really red, swollen & sore,
she went to ER & it tested positive for flesh eating bacteria, she spent
overnight in hospital taking antibiotics thru drip in arm.

Praying she will heal asap w/no issues & that dog gets trained & tamed!

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Wow I feel so bad for your daughter and if she knew ahead that the dog had problems with new people she should have not let the dog near the girls (your daughter). That was irresponsible of her knowing he had issues. I hope your daughter is ok. Had to scare her even a little. I wouldn't let your daughter go over till she got the dog into training. Let the girls play at your house. Hope she is better soon.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am in agree with [MENTION=11740]Mia Amor[/MENTION] if they knew the dog was aggressive it should not have been left near the children, and she is lucky that you are a nice one and don't take it further. I hope your daughter's leg heals real soon and they get some training for the dog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so hope you daughter is OK and it does heal quickly.... is she OK emotionally? At that age, she could easily develop a fear of dogs from the incident. I agree with the others too... irresponsible on the rescue for not properly training the dog prior to re-home and the current owner for not keeping the dog separated if she knew he has issue with strangers. KUDOS to you for providing her the help she needs to get started... so hope you follows your advice.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Wow not good, hope your daughter is ok and moving forward ok with other dogs.
I can't understand some folk, if the dog is a re-home and has issues it shouldn't be re-homed to folk with kids. And poss not re-homed at all.
It's sad as there's never a bad dog only bad owners,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Carrie, I'm glad your daughter is okay, it could have been way worse, thank goodness she didn't get bit in the face, or need stitches. I hope your daughter doesn't develop a fear for dogs. I agree with others, the dog should never have been renamed to a family with children, but also the friends mother should never have allowed the dog to be near your daughter since she admitted that the dog wasn't good with strangers. If she knows this, why would she have let the dog near your daughter, when she was a stranger to the dog? You are much more understanding than I would have been. It was great of you to give her advice of training for the dog. The woman should be much more careful as she could be sued if this were to happen again. It's a good thing hour a nurse, so you know how to take care of the wound, and know what to look for. I also agree that your daughter shouldn't play over there until the situation with the dog is resolved. It is not a safe situation. Hoping your daughter is okay. Sending love, hugs and prayers. Too bad she didn't rescue a bully instead.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
By the time my daughter was 5 she had been bitten in the face twice by 2 different dogs. The first one needed stitches but I was not there and didn't get to see it until it was too late. I won't tell you my opinion if the dog and it's owner (my mom) because I don't want to offend anyone here. However, I will say that my kids didn't visit their grandmother until the dog passed away many years later. The second time it happened at my friends house when she was babysitting and I was at work. The dog belonged to the neighbor and was at my friends house inside the basement. Mister (the old dog) was sleeping and my daughter went to pet him, scared him, and he bit her on the face. It was under her lip and required some stitches. It was traumatic, the stitches that is. The owner freaked out! He said he would do whatever I wanted. He would report it, he would put Mister down, he would do anything I asked. He was afraid I was going to report him or sue I guess. I didn't want him to do anything. The dog was the sweetest old dog I'd ever seen. He was old, got scared and bit her. It was an accident. She still loved him and wasn't scared of him or any other dog. She did learn to look for signs of aggression. The first dog was mean and should never have been let around a child. Owners fault. I just wanted to let you know that kids do understand the dog emotion better than the grown ups sometimes.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Carrie, I'm really sorry about what happened to your daughter… I can't imagine how you feel at this point. What I'm having issues w/is number one the rescue for NOT getting the dog some training before re-homing him again…. and what about the PARENT!!! Why on earth would you allow an "aggressive" dog to be around strange children in the first place?!! If she knew the dog had issues she should of crated him while your daughter was there, or at least keep him away from her… I'm sorry but your daughter takes precedence here as a guest in your home.

OP
MyStellaBully

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes for my daughter! She is still a little sore today, but is ok. Luckily she has no fear of animals so I don't think it will harm her mentally. I composed a list of trainers in our area today and sent it to the dog's owner. I really hope they can get the dog some training before something more serious happens.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes for my daughter! She is still a little sore today, but is ok. Luckily she has no fear of animals so I don't think it will harm her mentally. I composed a list of trainers in our area today and sent it to the dog's owner. I really hope they can get the dog some training before something more serious happens.

that's good to hear, Carrie. I'm glad your little girl wasn't emotionally scarred by the dog biting her.

I was going to share that a couple years ago my bully Finn bit one of my neighbors; I wrote a post about it here on EBN right after it happened bc i was so upset about it and felt terrible. We were all in an elevator when Finn got very excited and sort of jumped on this lady's leg and that's when he bit her. She was very kind and understanding and in her case, the skin wasn't broken. She was wearing jeans so that helped. Anyways, that same night I searched for a behaviorist for Finn and found one to come over to do an assessment and then we did a 6wk private training course (Tate included). I do hope this lady will indeed get her dog into a good program to prevent any sort of biting to occur again.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Checking back on your daughter, thank you, Carrie for this update.
Great news, so glad to hear it. I admire your efforts to educate, help
& guide this owner~GOD bless & favor you & yours!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Wow I feel so bad for your daughter and if she knew ahead that the dog had problems with new people she should have not let the dog near the girls (your daughter). That was irresponsible of her knowing he had issues. I hope your daughter is ok. Had to scare her even a little. I wouldn't let your daughter go over till she got the dog into training. Let the girls play at your house. Hope she is better soon.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

This is horrible! This dog should not have been re homed with a family with children!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.