Teething Baby Advice

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am hoping to draw on some expertise from the mommies and daddies on the forum.

My baby Gabriel has two teeth so far and his top two front teeth are coming in now - and causing him a lot of discomfort. As a result, I am having trouble getting him to take his bottle or drink out of sippy cup. That, coupled with diarrhea and summer temperatures in Arizona, have me worried about dehydration.

What I've tried:

Teethers
Cold Wash Clothes
Cold Bottles
Hot Bottles
Sippy Cup
Orajel
Tylenol
Motrin

Does anyone have any ideas or things that have worked for their babies? I can deal with his fussiness but I really, really want him to drink! So far today he's only taken about 8 ounces, he usually takes around 24 or so. :(
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I know you've been through this four times so I am tagging you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, cold things work well they numb the pain, reduce swelling, and soothe the gums, place a washcloth in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for an hour, you can also dip it in Chamomile tea. Remove the washcloth from the bag, and let baby munch on it. The ridges in the cloth will massage the gums, while the cold will numb the pain. Try refrigerating a tether or pacifier. Be careful when using Orajel or other topical anaesthetics, it isn't recommended for babies or toddlers anymore due to the danger of it going down the babies throat and numbing the throat and the gag reflex, which can cause baby to choke. You can give some Tylenol for the pain, but should always ask the doctor before doing so. Sucking on a bottle hurts the gums, and that's why baby may be refusing to drink from the bottle, you can try a zippy cup, or spoon feeding the formula or milk, and also try cold milk instead of warm. If baby won't drink milk, try offering other liquids such as cool water or juice, or apple sauce. This is okay for a couple of days, but if baby is still refusing to drink fluids, then I would take him to the doctor.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Love the wash cloth frozen my babies loved it and helped fever and also helped with pain. Does the trick.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no kiddies of my own, but the frozen wash cloth worked for my sisters and most of their babies...... what worked for us a babies it no longer acceptable :D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jill I agree w/the others… I would take a wet wash cloth and put it in a baggy in the freezer. That seemed to help a lot… I also used popsicles, and sometimes a frozen bagel (obviously keep an eye on him so he doesn't choke!!!). One Step Ahead used to have these things that were mesh covered and babies could chew on them but NOT swallow anything. You could put ice, or frozen fruit inside of them… I never used them, but it looked like a neat idea. I will see if I can find them for you...

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
41oNY1ro5-L._SY300_.jpg
Here it is Jill, I think this image was found on Amazon. I thought this was neat because the baby can hold and chew on this and you don't have to worry about him choking on it. You could put ice or frozen fruits or veggies in here...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If it's that bad I would do a Tylenol Motrin combo, as well as the orajel. Fortunately I never had any issues with not drinking but I used the playex bottles (the old ones) and the nipples were really soft, not as hard as the nipples you find these days. Does he use a pacifier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
These are really great Tracey, I've seen them with my nieces and nephews, they didn't have these when my kids were babies.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
If it's that bad I would do a Tylenol Motrin combo, as well as the orajel. Fortunately I never had any issues with not drinking but I used the playex bottles (the old ones) and the nipples were really soft, not as hard as the nipples you find these days. Does he use a pacifier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll take a pacifier but he's terrible with his bottle. I've tried two different ones and he's awful. I did the Motrin/Tylenol combo yesterday and he did a little better but not much. Darn tooth, the first two didn't give us this much trouble!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
View attachment 71659
Here it is Jill, I think this image was found on Amazon. I thought this was neat because the baby can hold and chew on this and you don't have to worry about him choking on it. You could put ice or frozen fruits or veggies in here...

Oh cool, I've never seen those before... maybe I'll have to try one!

I swear my kid is the only one in the world who refuses to gnaw on a frozen wash cloth!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh cool, I've never seen those before... maybe I'll have to try one!

I swear my kid is the only one in the world who refuses to gnaw on a frozen wash cloth!

I forgot to mention this too Jill, I would give my kids a wooden spoon to bite on… I know it sounds crazy, but it really would help to cut those teeth!!! Somebody told me that it was written in the Little House on the Prairie books… LOL My mom was the one that told me about it, and it works like a charm ;)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] Along with frozen washcloths, years ago I gave my boys popsicles, they loved them. I know nothing about babies now a days but I think they make pedialyte popsicles now. That would give Gabe some extra hydration. Poor baby, I hated the teething stage,...no maybe the terriable twos.....no, the teen years,......wait adult years......Uggg, so many stages. LMAO~!!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for all the teething advice! I will definitely be using it!

After day four of refusing a bottle, my instincts told me this was not just teeth so I did take him into the doctor yesterday. She said he has a stomach bug! :( It explains the diarrhea and it's also super common for them to refuse a bottle when their have a bad tummy but be open to solids. I feel kind of bad for force feeding him!

The good news is that we haven't had a poop explosion since yesterday afternoon and he took a 9 oz bottle this morning...so I think we've turned the corner.

I appreciate it everyone...it's good to know I'm not alone!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the teething advice! I will definitely be using it!

After day four of refusing a bottle, my instincts told me this was not just teeth so I did take him into the doctor yesterday. She said he has a stomach bug! :( It explains the diarrhea and it's also super common for them to refuse a bottle when their have a bad tummy but be open to solids. I feel kind of bad for force feeding him!

The good news is that we haven't had a poop explosion since yesterday afternoon and he took a 9 oz bottle this morning...so I think we've turned the corner.

I appreciate it everyone...it's good to know I'm not alone!

Oh I'm so sorry Jill… I hope baby Gabriel feels better soon!!! I so hate stomach bugs w/the kids :( Always remember that YOU know your baby best NO matter what anyone tells you… ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.