This may sound weird, but my belly button HURTS BADLY!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay so about 2 weeks ago my bellybutton seemed 'sweaty' and smelled horrific. So I cleaned it real good with alcohol and patted it dry with gold bond powder, passing it off as a minor bacterial or yeast infection.

NOTE: I am not very overweight, I weigh about 145lbs but I have lost quite a bit of weight in the past year, No more pregnancies! and now my tummy is recouperating, but my belly button seems to have gotton deeper if that makes sense?

Well, about a week later around Christmas my belly button started to feel like it was being pinched, from the INSIDE, not the outside. It hurts when I sit but it is not so painful that I cry out in pain. More like uncomforable. It is when I TOUCH IT that it hurts like ****.

Now, another week later it has gotten worse. And now, if I touch it just right, I can feel a lump about the size of a piece of corn where it hurts. It is almost like one of those giant pimples that hurt like heck, except it is under my skin and I cannot pop it!!!

Oh, and did I mention we canceled our health insurance and applied for a new one? AND NOW I NEED A DOCTOR.... hope we get approved soon!!!

And no, I will NOT be providing pictures :crazy::down:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Um....I hope it's not a hernia. I will show photos of a belly button hernia for desertskybulldogs since she wont show hers. Bellybutton Not hernia.

Last edited:
OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I dont think it is a hernia, those are above the belly button.... I have googled and not had much answers.... it think it may be an infection. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen....

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I don't know.. I know you aren't a bulldog, but Echo's was above his belly button. But then again...he had his whole belly opened up. I just don't think an infection would make you hurt that badly. I'm worried about you girl.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Wow that does not sound good. I would try the health department. I wish i could be of more help but it could be something serious so i would get it looked at. Just tell them u have 4 kids and five dogs lol i think they will help u out.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My dad had a herniated belly button and he had very similar symptoms. He is overweight but my understanding is that weaken muscles in that area can also cause the hernia. Ouch, it sounds painful and I hope you can it resolved soon.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It almost sounds like a sebaceous cyst. Keep the area clean and dry. The gold bond powder is a good idea for that. Also apply warm compresses. If it's a cyst that will help bring to a head hopefully.
Hernias can happen anywhere that the abdominal wall is weakened. ( surgery sites) But The ones I have had are a deeper feeling ache than the cysts.
I have had both in the past, and what you describe sounds more like a cyst.
sometimes a doctor lancing it (cyst) is the only thing that will help, so hopefully you can get insurance soon.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
where is [MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] she can help. I havent had this and if it is a cyst I guess this wouldnt help but maybe to help clean the infection if there is one put peroxide in your belly button and let it soak for a minute before drying it and using the gold bond powder? I am THE worst at using a dr for anything aside from being prego so I usually self help everything until it goes away. lmao.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
What did you clean it out with? Could you have gotten a piece of cotton stuck in it mistakenly? I had a herniated bellybutton when I was younger. Had to have surgery on it. Mine wasn't painful, though. Are you running a fever?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm with [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] .. my first thoughts would be a cyst under the skin. They can often be very painful!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
It could be a number of different things... I found this: Belly Button Pain

Experiencing sudden and intense belly button pain requires urgent and immediate medical attention as it is a clear indicator of appendicitis. The belly button or the navel is located at the center of the tummy, and it is an area that does not generally experience discomfort and pain.

There have been many cases where pain in belly button has also been an indicator of food poisoning.

Apart from appendicitis, another common cause of belly button pain is cystitis, which is a urinary tract infection. Now this is not a very serious problem, but if it is not discovered soon the infection can spread to the kidneys.

Another very probable reason of belly button pain is simply overeating.

Hernias are another commonly seen cause of pain near belly button.

But with it being smelly, that helps narrow it down:

Smelly Discharge from Belly Button: Causes

Debris: Debris entrapped inside the belly button may cause irritation of the skin, which eventually results in infection.

Inflammation: Accumulation of pus collected from the surrounding inflamed tissue can give out foul-smelling odor. The smell is due to the presence of anaerobic bacteria.

Urachal Cyst: A cyst occurring in the persistent part of the urachus is known as urachal cyst. Urachal cyst is accompanied with pain in the abdomen and a rise in body temperature. The cyst bursts inside and oozes out fluid that comes out and results in smelly discharge from belly button.

Candidiasis: These are white patches that can occur on the belly button. They resemble cottage cheese or milk curds. Thrush are actually a species of yeasts called candida. They grow rapidly and uncontrolled. People with weak immune systems are at a higher risk as the body becomes unable to curb the growth of thrush. Read more on candidiasis.

Patent Urachus: Urachus tube is a small tube that joins the fetal bladder to the umbilical cord. In some cases, the urachus tube fails to close after birth. A surgery, called patent urachus is performed to treat the defect in the urachus tube. If the surgery does not heal, it may result in smell or urine and mucus discharge from a cyst.

Fungal Infection: Another cause for smelly discharge from belly button is fungal infection. Fungal infection of the belly button is characterized by painful itching and burning. Read more on belly button infection.

Sepsis-Septicemia: Nowadays, belly button piercing has become a style statement. A pierced navel may look stylish but due to frequent bleeding it surely invites many infection causing pathogens. The discharge of yellowish-green fluid from pierced belly button is called sepsis-septicemia. More on belly button piercing infection.

Thus, you see any one can develop smelly discharge from belly button. Its occurrence is, sometimes, almost unavoidable. But no need to worry much as there are various effective treatments available for foul smelling discharge from belly button. The ones that can be easily followed at the comfort of home are mentioned below.

Smelly Discharge from Belly Button: Remedies at Home

It may get alright on its own as your body sends white blood cells to fight off the bacteria and control the infection.
Doctors prescribe antibiotics to curb the infection. In severe cases, surgery may also be performed.
In case of urachal cyst, clean the area with anti bacterial soap at least once in a day. Also, apply Benzalkonium chloride or hydrogen peroxide on the cyst 4-5 times a day.
If yeast infection is the reason behind your smelly discharge of belly button, then try out some over-the-counter anti fungal topical creams. You may also apply plain yogurt on the yeast infection to get relief from itching. In case of kids, consult a doctor as, many anti fungal creams are not recommended for them.
One of the most effective smelly discharge from belly button treatments is to resist the urge of itching. Instead, place an ice-cube on the belly button to relieve itching.
Thrush can be treated with an anti fungal medicine called nystatin liquid. Put 1-2 drops of this liquid twice or thrice a day.
Cleanse the belly button with salt water, and allow the salt to harden on the belly button. The salt absorbs all the moisture released in the belly button, and hence controls further infection as well as coats the area to reduce foul smell. When the salt is hardened, brush it off.
Try not to keep the belly button area warm and moist as it will support microbial growth. If your belly button is prone to sweating, frequently apply talcum powder to avoid the conditions favorable for bacterial or fungal growth.
If even after trying out the above given ways of treatment for a week or so, the smelly discharge from belly button does not go away, you should consult a health care practitioner for medical intervention.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
sounds to me like you have an infection of the umbilicus. I don't really think it's a hernia, as those are pretty easy to see and you know you have the pocket sticking out. The round thing you feel might be a pus pocket or something. Do you have an "immediate care" or "urgent care center" around you? I would go there if you have no MD. If it's that painful, it needs to be checked out, at the least I would think you would need antibiotics or it incised and drained. Keep me updated!!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Ugghhh....hope it gets to feeling better. I had that but after I had a C-section with my 2nd so realted to that but it hurt for several weeks but at 1st bugged me more than anything so i would poke at it which made it hurt worse.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.