Animal Shelter

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh boy...today I went and volunteered a big chunk of my day at our local animal shelter. It really puts in perspective how well our dogs and cats have it that belong to a family and have people who really care about their well being.
I was sad to see the amount of sweet tempered dogs that had been dumped for whatever reason. Most dogs react poorly in a shelter setting. It's noisy, musty, they are confused and scared. If anybody ever has a chance to donate some time to a shelter I would definitely advise it. The dogs reaction when you take them out for a walk is a reward in itself. Tails are wagging as they get some fresh air and one on one time.

It is sad knowing that inevitably they won't all find homes and some will meet other ends but just think of the difference made in the day of the animal you go spend time with.

And by all means, if you can adopt a dog from a shelter, you have truly saved a life :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wish I could, my heart just would not be able to handle it, I donate as much cash, food or supplies as I can to several dogs, shelters and rescues, but I know I would have to take all the dogs home with me cause it would just shatter my heart if I had to leave them there. BIGA$$ kudos to you!!!!!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I used to volunteer and walk dogs for BaRC in Houston. I did that for two years... It's pretty sad and I always felt guilty for buying Izzy when so many dogs are available for adoption and in death row :( :( :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I with Christine, it would break my heart to see all those babies who need homes. God bless you for volunteering.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgIt's so true, it's so sad to see these poor little faces staring at you through the fences, and they're either barking like crazy, tails are wagging, and they are so happy to have human contact and interaction, then some of them look so depressed, and sad, and they barely move because they are sitting in the corner shaking like a leaf, because they are so scared. All they want is love. People leave them there for reasons like I or my kids have allergies, I didn't know he was going to be that big, I don't have time for the dog anymore, he's misbehaved, he bites, I can't afford him anymore, or a hundred other lame reasons. Did they not know these things before they got the dog? Do they not know that a dog is a lifelong commitment, that they rely on us for everything just like a baby or a child, but unlike children who as they grow up, become more and more independent, a dog will never be able to feed or walk himself, or help himself if he's sick or hurt. That dog will depend on you to take care of it, feed it, walk it, and in the end make the right decision on how to let him go. That dog will never grow up and be independent and move out. That dog will be loyal and love you conditionally until his very last breath, and all he asks for in return is love, shelter, and to live his life with his family. He doesn't want to be played with and cuddled just when he's a puppy, and then when the novelty wears off, to be banished to the backyard tied up and forgotten, he doesn't want to be dropped off and left behind in a shelter with strangers, and not know why he's there, or why his family abandoned him, and he doesn't want to be dropped off at the vet at the end of his life and left to die on his own, he wants you to make the right choice at the right time, and then he wants you to hug him, and love him, and talk to him, and stay with him until his last minute, even if its hard, and sad for us, he wants our comfort, and to know he's loved until the very end, and our pets deserve nothing less than that. They are a part of our family, not just a pet, and they should be treated the same as any other family member, with love, food, vet care, comfort, dignity, and security that they need and deserve. Anyone who isn't willing to do this when they bring a pet Into their lives shouldn't get a pet, they should leave that little puppy at the store, or at the breeders, and look at them through the window, but don't buy that dog unless you're willing to make the sacrifices and love and treat the animal as they should be treated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone else… I get too upset at the shelters :( I feel bad when I go to PetSmart to buy things for my animals, when I see dogs in cages on the way in… I donate as much as I can to the rescues, and I wish that I could do more.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.