what would you do?

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i found a men's gold ring w/diamonds (all could be fake) a few months ago. i have posted found listings for it on craigslist and have received no replies. i've also searched lost listings and haven't found one with a matching description. I would like to take it to the coin/jewelry shop and see what they'll offer me for it, but what if i went and they thought i stole it or something?!?! :eek: what if the old man that lost it figured some thug stole it, when really he lost it in a parking lot. or maybe it was stolen and later dropped where i found it?! i just don't want to try to go sell it and then be in trouble for something i didn't do.
most people have insurance on valuables anyway right?
how long is something "lost and found" before it becomes the finder's property?

thoughts?...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmm that is a tough one. But if you feel you have made all of the effort to find the owner that you could, you cannot possibly make it your life's mission to hold on to it forever to find the owner. What, should you notify the police and let them take it, bag it and put in in a basement where someone else will steal it? Maybe I watch too much TV. I think you should take it to a jeweler and find out what it is worth before you start worrying.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
did you put a ad in the local news paper? bo was found out in the county and brought to the local pound and i got him the next day. i posted and watched in the area stuff and no one ever posted of a lost yellow lab. i waited a month before i called him my own. i know a dog is different than jewelry but i would say about a month or so...

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
not in the newspaper, just craigslist. maybe i'll do that next.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Maybe even call the police department and ask. They might even hold onto it for a selected amount of time, then if it's not claimed...it might be returned to you.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I'd get it appraised before I did
anything with it. If its real SELL SELL SELL!!! :p
Just kidding. I'd run it in the paper and if
no responce then its yours.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I would google the laws in the state you are in... or even call the police department and ask about the laws. Then I would see how much it was worth...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree I would advertise in the local newspaper and make them describe it perfectly, to claim, if you get no response and you know you have done everything in your power, I would take it and see if it is even real, then it is yours to do with what you choose.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I would have it appraised and then print off the lost and found ads you've posted on craigslist. If you have proof you've been trying to find the owner, no one can accuse you of stealing it.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I would check to see if it's been stolen..if not, and you made an effort to to find the owner.. I would go get it appraised by a few people and sell it. I don't think you're obligated to pay for an ad in the paper - but I would think if it were sentimental someone would post they lost it in the paper. Check with the police dept re: stolen items and how long and what you need to do to legally keep it in your possession :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Maybe even call the police department and ask. They might even hold onto it for a selected amount of time, then if it's not claimed...it might be returned to you.

I did that with a wallet i found. They said if it wasn't claimed in so many days it was mine........ it was claimed... dammit.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Finders keepers LOL.. Haha no just kidding. I dont know about all state laws but I do think that if you take it to the police and its not claimed within so long is yours if you want it back.. By all means take it and get it check out BEFORE you take it to the police, take pictures of it etc...Just to make sure its the same ring you took in.. But Trust me you wont get much for it.. Its all about the gold weight not the diamond weight... Good luck...

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I did that with a wallet i found. They said if it wasn't claimed in so many days it was mine........ it was claimed... dammit.

I wouldn't hand it over to the police. There
would be no telling if it was really claimed
or not. Not bashing cops just saying they
are people too.

By now I would have sold it. If it were
worth anything.

Members online

No members online now.