Tough decision?

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Alright friends... Friday I was given a job offer!! Yay!! I've been at this place for over a year as a contract worker. I knew it was coming, it's taken 6 months to get their new hiring process in place. I recently got a raise with my broker I'm contracted through. This offer is ok and I'm thankful to receive one. I'm just having a hard time, wondering if it's worth it. The pay is 15k less than my annual income. Money isn't everything. Now I know benefits play a huge factor and so does taxes. With this pay, I will have to move to a smaller apartment and try to sell the house our sister lives in that we've been renting to ASAP. Things will change. Yes I get medical, a great 401k and paid time off, but I now pay for my own medical, have a good 401k set up and I'm ok not getting paid for time off. I determine my own schedule and don't pay nearly as much in taxes as I would as an employee. I would like to counter, but I'm so conflicted. This may seem shallow but the title I will receive is nothing near what I've worked the last 9 years for on my own. I'm ok walking away from this job, there is another company that will take me as contracts. For anyone that has any suggestions or comments, I would really like to hear them.... I've been thinking and praying all weekend. I have till next Monday to give my answer. I'm just not sure what to do...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Whenever I have a "BIG" decision like that to make, I will literally write down the pros/cons and take a good hard look at the list. Sometimes seeing things in writing makes the decision easier to make… and you have to decide what is more important to you. Benefits versus pay, and if you really want to downsize your apartment and lose your title. I wish you luck… my hubby has lost 2 jobs this last year, he is an IC as well.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Tracey. I would write everything down. Also try to figure out the money. If you are getting 15K less and now you will pay higher taxes, this may really cause a hardship. But if you now do not have to pay for medical and have a less expensive place to live, maybe it would equal out?? Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I think it is fair to counter offer. Yes there are perks but it never feels good to work for less than you feel you are worth and have a lower position than befits your experience. What are the opportunities for advancement at this job? Are you going to be stuck going nowhere if you accept it? Are you going to be happy there? Dave Ramsey , if you are into that, says never trade money or a job for opportunity to better yourself. Best of luck with this situation.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would counter, you've got nothing to lose. Worst case you end up going to the other company.

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Thank you everyone... I'm going to counter and give another option of keeping me contract. I will look more into Dave Ramsey. As for opportunity, that will also have to researched more. I have a week until the offer expires and my boss comes back, so more than enough time to gather my information and make a decision. Again thank you so much. I really appreciate it and the fact that I can come here and receive advice so valuable to me. Thank you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online