Kind of a weird day....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So, Im sitting here drinking coffee the morning and I get a phone call from Blake Hospital here in our town. I answer and was ask if I was "Kelly Marino" I said yes, well they went on to tell me they had a patient in the ER and needed to be picked up. Im like :confused:. Patient's name is Jerry. Well Jerry is one of my regular's at my bar in his 70's!!

He has no family and is retired. He slipped and fell last night and twisted his ankle. He thought he was going to be OK so he just went on to bed, he woke up about 2 a.m. to pee and when he stood up he fell down. (He goes on to tell me he soiled himself, lol) anyway, he looks down and his ankle is about to bust open it was so swollen.

He called an ambulance and they took him in and ex-rayed, no breaks but tore all his ligaments and tendons connected to his ankle, the hospital just told me he needed a ride home. So I throw on a bra, pulled back a pony tail and off I go. When I get there all the dr's and nurses were all in his room. The orthopedic dr. came in and decided to admit him til Monday when they will do extensive surgery.

Poor guy was in so much pain I just hurt for him, but more than that baffled that he had them call me!?!?? I never questioned him why, but he ask me if I would stay until they got him in his room, which I did. I was there over 4 hours. I just got home and told him I would call and check on him later. He ask me if I was coming back tomorrow to see him and I said of course! He then ask me if I would bring him lunch, LOL.

I am just sitting here letting today sink in, it was kind of weird, but I feel good knowing that I was able to give him some comfort. I don't even know why I am posting this, I guess I am just baffled and trying to let it sink in. He sits with the same 6 guys every day, why didn't he call one of them? I don't even know him out side of work.

Poor guy, I will be with him through all of this now. I guess he trusted me enough to know that I would be there and care. Which I do.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Kelly this story makes me sad… there are SO many lonely people in this world today. That's got to make you feel good that he felt comfortable enough w/you to call you when he needed help… ;) He just sensed the caring person that you are, and you were there for him!!! How crazy, you get the lonely customers and I get the stray dogs… LMAO!!! I see a pattern going here… I'm cracking up that he asked you to come by and bring lunch… did he ask for a beer?!! :lol:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], LOL, no he didn't ask for a beer, and NO I would not take him one, he is on Morphine and Percoset's I think he will feel drunk enough on that!! Bless his heart!! Funny thing is, the only real argument he had about them keeping him was who was going to take care of his 11 year old dog, I told him I would, but he gave me the number of his neighbor, so I called and got that all straighted out for him so "Jr. his dog" will be taken care of as long as needed.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My interpretation is that he couldn't tell his buddies that he soiled himself, but you've seen it all…No, just kidding…he knew that you are a good person who would help him, but didn't know that about his "buddies"..

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I told my husband the same thing, I don't think he wanted the guys to see him not be dudely, of course he didn't have to tell them he pee'd himself, but he was crying in front of me because he was in so much pain. I just stroked his arm and kept telling him the pain meds would kick in soon........

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene, LOL, no he didn't ask for a beer, and NO I would not take him one, he is on Morphine and Percoset's I think he will feel drunk enough on that!! Bless his heart!! Funny thing is, the only real argument he had about them keeping him was who was going to take care of his 11 year old dog, I told him I would, but he gave me the number of his neighbor, so I called and got that all straighted out for him so "Jr. his dog" will be taken care of as long as needed.

Oh I'm so glad you were able to help him out, I feel really bad for him :( Did they ask you at the hospital if you were related to him? I'm just wondering if he told them you were his daughter… LOL

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh I'm so glad you were able to help him out, I feel really bad for him :( Did they ask you at the hospital if you were related to him? I'm just wondering if he told them you were his daughter… LOL

NO, the old A*S, told EVERYONE we were just "friends with NO benefit's" LMAO, That's the Jerry I know and love!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I know why he called you instead of his buddies......YOUR BETTER LOOKING. :) That was cool that you stayed with him and got his dog taken care of. Poor old dude, that has to suck and I know he is in so much pain. He has a long road of recovery in front of him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is all about trust --- something you have said or done has placed his trust in you.

Great job Kelly -- your are a damn good person

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just called to check on him, he wanted to make damn sure I was bringing him lunch tomorrow, lol. Of course I will. I have his wallet full of credit cards/cash the hospital sent home with me, he told me to use them,.............LOL I could be so :evil: BUT that is so not me!! I will buy his lunch and not touch the wallet!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NO, the old A*S, told EVERYONE we were just "friends with NO benefit's" LMAO, That's the Jerry I know and love!!!!

Must of been the morphine… LMAO!!! :jawdrop:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This was a really heartwarming story, you're a great person for being there for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Kelly, I just wanna high five you!! Thanks for being a good hearted person :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Good for you. What a great deed you have done helping this old guy out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Kelly you are a great person. You want to come to Texas and sit with my dad for his surgery next month? lol j/k

Most Reactions