agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
On Saturday diesel was on the lead when he was attacked, he's ok and hopefully in the next few weeks come back to his normal self. The dogs owner paid the vet bill in full and has text me everyday asking how my boy is .... I am the type of guy where it's either black or white but I am struggling here.
My friends are saying report the dog, the owner is saying his dog has never done this before and I do believe him. It's a gut feeling
report the dog and there's possibility it gets destroyed, for a dog having a bad day.
Or
say nothing, do nothing until it happens again?

He he has promised me he will get a mussel and never let it off the lead.
i have tried to put myself in his place, what if diesel had a bad day and his was me paying the vet bill because my dog attacked another dog.
I am rambling but I just don't know.

( thank you all for your positive wishes for dezi dog )

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It is a tough call. In some places if you don't report it and it happens to someone else and it is discovered that you had knowledge of a dangerous dog you could be charged as well. Personally I would report it. Not every dog that is reported on is destroyed, but it is up to the investigation to make that determination.

However I am proud of the owner stepping up and covering your vet bills.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I too am glad to hear that the Pitty's owner paid all the vet bills and is showing such concern, Jimmy. I understand that Pit Bulls in the UK are under the Breed Specific Legislation, right? that is, if reported, he would be euthanized. It is a tough call but I can only tell you what I would do and that is, I would not report it knowing that the dog would be put down.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it sounds as if the owner is genuinely sorry about the lack of control he had over his dog and has stated that he intends to improve this. i think i wouldn't report it. but i'm not emotionally charged, it wasn't my Lola that got hurt.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I too think the owner stepped up and took care of this mis-hap, although I hate what happened to Diesel, maybe the owner now realizes to muzzle and leash after this incident. If it were me I would not report. If you would ever see him out again and his dog was not leashed, then perhaps report him. Just my opinion...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think the owner did the right thing in the end, and I'm pretty sure he'll be way more careful now that he knows what his dog is capable of.
Would I report knowing the Pittie would be put down? No, I don't have the heart.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very tough decision. I don't envy you. My concern is if he attacks your baby again, another dog or human, or a young child? You saw the attack first hand so I guess it is going to have to be upon your judgement. So sorry this ever happened at all. :(

I am not sure what I would do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it all depends on whether you feel he is being up front and honest with you about muzzling and keeping the dog on a lead.

I don't know if I could have kept my cool like you did especially once they were apart and the guy with that piece of wood was standing there. I don't know if the only reason he paid for the vet and is showing so much concern is because he doesn't want you to report it. Who knows if after things have settled he'll go right out and do the same thing again and like has been said the dog turns on some little kid or another dog and you find out about it, I don't know how I would handle that.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
The guy stepped up and paid the bill and is calling with genuine concern. Could be out of fear you'll report the dog but could also be genuine. Either way he is doing the right thing. I wouldn't report it at this point if you feel comfortable with his promise to muzzle and lead him. wait and see if he's being truthful and if you see the dog off leash again then I would rethink reporting it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it is nice to see someone actually stepping up and being responsible, is he telling the truth... No way to know unless maybe call his vet and see of they know anything and are willing to tell you, but unless I knew for sure the dog was a repeat offender, I will not be able to report knowing he'd be destroyed on arrival.

very hard decision for you and I send virtual support to help you do what you feel is the best thing to do. Strength coming your way... As I know what I think I would do, but unless you are in the situation, you really only can hope you would do what is best.... As someone else stated emotion play a pick part. Good luck and I am very happy Deisel is doing well

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
The guy stepped up and paid the bill and is calling with genuine concern. Could be out of fear you'll report the dog but could also be genuine. Either way he is doing the right thing. I wouldn't report it at this point if you feel comfortable with his promise to muzzle and lead him. wait and see if he's being truthful and if you see the dog off leash again then I would rethink reporting it.
Agreed, I think the same.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Well that is a hard thing but kinda think you are right about him maybe telling the truth at least his actions seem to point that way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
A very hard call and I will pray that GOD sends you direction.

Every dog can have a bad day, our own bullies certainly are prone to.
My Cami is as sweet as they come but a couple of times, while backed
up to me begging for bootie scratches, suddenly whirled around, growling
and putting head close to my hand in warning of biting it. No idea what
happens to cause it, she's never acted as if her tail pains her or had
infections (while I've owned her), never has she done this while I've
bathed it or clean it with witch hazel so just very odd.

I'd follow my gut instinct and I, personally, believe in 2nd chances. If me,
no report~this time but would let him know if I see the dog OFF LEASH
ever, I would. GOD be with you, Jimmy.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I don't know if reporting a dog for attacking your dog would get you anywhere. If the dog attacked you....it would be a different story. Orion got attacked by my neighbors German Shepherd.....we were in our own backyard and the GS stuck his head thru a portion of the fence at the very end where the fence board was never placed. He almost ripped her paw pad off and she ended up with several stitches on both the top and bottom of her paw. The fur and skin was filleted off the side of her leg. The owner didn't pay a single dime towards her vet bill. I told them I was taking them to small claims court......and they moved. (They were renters) The photo below was before they moved in. When they moved in we actually put a piece of plywood against the fence so that Vegas and Orion couldnt stick their heads thru the gap. Since she had taller dogs.....they were able to, and took advantage of it when I picked O up to bring her inside.
IMAG0431 (2).jpgIMAG0437.jpgIMAG0438 (2).jpgIMAG0454.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_1258.jpgIMG_1301 (2).jpgimg1410wt.jpgvegas and hanna 024.jpgIMG_07811.jpg

Living in Washington....we were in the middle of fall, which means rain. We needed to keep her bandage dry. So.....enter build a bear boot. Worked perfectly!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone on here... At least the owner paid the vet bill. It would be your call whether or not to report it, if you honestly feel that this dog would attack again than maybe you should. Sounds like in addition to a muzzle he needs a dog trainer!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online