What would you do ?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Achkk very very tough call :( I'm so sorry you and Diesel have to go through this. When my boy was attacked (mind you he was just 3 mos. old then) i wanted the owner to be put down...by my bare hands. They just took off and didn't even ask how my baby was. I was more upset that they didn't even apologize and said that it was "just a small bite". Trust me never saw them again after our 2nd encounter, hope it stays that way.

Now if they stepped up like how yours did i GUESS i wouldn't be that upset. But it's not my dog who got mauled. But i also think if i'm in your situation, i would give the guy a second chance to redeem himself. Like what the others here said, if i see the dog offleash and without a muzzle I'll call authorities in speed dial.

Good thoughts sending your way and Gute Besserung Diesel.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It is a hard decision -majority of banned breed typed do get destroyed-while most other breeds when incidents like this happen do not!
Looks like dog owner took a full responsibility and rather than run for it -he payed the bill ,apologised , and asking how is your baby
I would try and put yourself in this situation -if your dog had a scrap and someone reported him for dog aggression ...even tho it was an incident no one could know it will happen .
I wouldnt report - he sounds like someone who does take responsibility for his dog actions and i do believe he will be wary from now on x
I believe that every dog deserves second chance ,especially with a owner who do care

While i was visiting dogs home -on few occasions i saw ao many pit bull type dogs with 6-8 week old puppies (they weren't pitbulls but authorities decided they were) they were due to be killed the next day .
It kind of sickness me that people put this dogs into one bag ,i believe every dog can have it moments (or madness) and every dog can be aggressive-BSL sucks

Forgot to add
My american bulldog syarted to attack shy 3 months after we got him
-it was awful but i would never put him down he now leads a happy life as a only dog and wears muzzle just in case outside -some dogs can change behaviour -just because they don't like some dogs doesn't mean they will start attacking humans

My boxer (rip) couldn't stand white dogs and dogs that were smaller than her but she was good with others and loved people

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The guy stepped up and paid the bill and is calling with genuine concern. Could be out of fear you'll report the dog but could also be genuine. Either way he is doing the right thing. I wouldn't report it at this point if you feel comfortable with his promise to muzzle and lead him. wait and see if he's being truthful and if you see the dog off leash again then I would rethink reporting it.

I am so glad that Diesel was not more seriously hurt. I agree with above that I would give a chance. He seems to be doing the right thing. I would, however certainly report him if I ever saw that dog off leash again. I would also carry some kind of protection-in case of another situation, like this one should happen.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I don't know if reporting a dog for attacking your dog would get you anywhere. If the dog attacked you....it would be a different story. Orion got attacked by my neighbors German Shepherd.....we were in our own backyard and the GS stuck his head thru a portion of the fence at the very end where the fence board was never placed. He almost ripped her paw pad off and she ended up with several stitches on both the top and bottom of her paw. The fur and skin was filleted off the side of her leg. The owner didn't pay a single dime towards her vet bill. I told them I was taking them to small claims court......and they moved. (They were renters) The photo below was before they moved in. When they moved in we actually put a piece of plywood against the fence so that Vegas and Orion couldnt stick their heads thru the gap. Since she had taller dogs.....they were able to, and took advantage of it when I picked O up to bring her inside.
View attachment 67042View attachment 67043View attachment 67044View attachment 67045View attachment 67046View attachment 67047View attachment 67048View attachment 67049View attachment 67053View attachment 67054

Living in Washington....we were in the middle of fall, which means rain. We needed to keep her bandage dry. So.....enter build a bear boot. Worked perfectly!

I am sure it was a pit bull , a banned breed in the uk, if I called it would be destroyed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The guy stepped up and paid the bill and is calling with genuine concern. Could be out of fear you'll report the dog but could also be genuine. Either way he is doing the right thing. I wouldn't report it at this point if you feel comfortable with his promise to muzzle and lead him. wait and see if he's being truthful and if you see the dog off leash again then I would rethink reporting it.

I am thinking the same as you chumley, i have the text messages from him and the pay pal payment saying vets bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. The owner took ownership and responsibility for the unfortunate accident and hopefully has learned a valuable lesson. I personally would leave it at that and maybe even reinforce to him the importance that this situation was able to be handled but in the future if it happened again it might not be able to be handled in the same way. That may reinforce the importance of a muzzle; there is one person on our street that has a dog I have no doubt is a problem because the owner walks it all the time and it always has a muzzle and he does not let anyone near that dog. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Members online

No members online now.