The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have lived in south east Texas for the majority of my life and it still amazes me that such a little bit of ice from this storm has brought the city to a stand still. The majority of the schools are closed and a good many companies told their employees to stay home today. Yet these are the same people that will drive around town during a Cat 2/3 hurricane just for kicks. So today i have everyone home but I will still be sitting at my desk chugging away at work as usual....

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
LOLOL...I find that so funny and I understand. I grew up in Pittsburgh, went to school in the snowbelt off of lake Erie near buffalo. when we get snow here in KY, the whole place shuts down...it's amazing to me. I can still see grass and everything is closed. Southerners...sheesh...hahahahahahahahaha.
Good luck down there and stay safe!!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We haven't had too much snow this winter, but today it was -22C/ DSC_0102.jpgDSC_0137.jpgWe've had hardly any snow this winter, but this morning it was about -22C/8F and business as usual.

Attachments

• DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 92

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh! You must live near or around Houston! I have family near Katy and they're enjoying a snow day. No school, no work.

It's actually a wise move for the city to shut down major contributors to traffic - school and work - when it ices/snows. Up north where it snows all the time, they are very well equipped and prepared to maintain safety on icy roads. They got the salt trucks going, the plows going, and experienced drivers with proper tires. No such thing in Houston. Therefore, roads are a very high risk for traffic accidents. So, the city mitigates the cost of Emergency Response Teams to a minimum by declaring a snow day. Now, hurricanes, hah... the city of Houston got hurricane preparedness down to a science. Category 4 hurricanes don't faze them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Same here in Tn. One snowflake and every one runs to the grocery store for bread and milk!! Schools are closed and the "weather terrorists" as I call them are constantly breaking in to TV channels! People down south just don't know about slowing down in bad weather!! OR wearing a coat! I grew up in NJ, and we walked to school even if it was 2 ft. whoever could get there-school was open! Now that I am older-I don't like to drive in snow-but two feet never stopped me back when I was a "yankee" ha!ha! AND I didn't even have 4wd!!! p.s. THe OLDER I get the BETTER I WAS!!!:mirror::grammy:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Lynn… here in TN it's ridiculous!!! They had closed schools after Christmas, and today they were delayed by an hour. They are worried about all the electrical use… this is going to go on for the next WEEK!!! REALLY?!! SMH...

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
hahaha yep I'm working from home today too - so many can't drive when it drizzles much less with ice and I'm not willing to risk it. Smart choice I say after all the wrecks I saw on the news this morning. I'll just stay here comfy and cozy cuddled up with Nigel - he loves when mommy gets to stay home with him!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its the same in UK -2 inch of snow and whole of the country is put on a standstill

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:ponder: I guess it depends on what you are used to dealing with

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Same here in Tn. One snowflake and every one runs to the grocery store for bread and milk!! Schools are closed and the "weather terrorists" as I call them are constantly breaking in to TV channels! People down south just don't know about slowing down in bad weather!! OR wearing a coat! I grew up in NJ, and we walked to school even if it was 2 ft. whoever could get there-school was open! Now that I am older-I don't like to drive in snow-but two feet never stopped me back when I was a "yankee" ha!ha! AND I didn't even have 4wd!!! p.s. THe OLDER I get the BETTER I WAS!!!:mirror::grammy:

A coat? What's that? Is that those things that you wear after a bath?

LOL.

We went to NJ over Christmas. It was 56 degrees and my family were in parkas. My family in NJ was wearing t-shirts. I'm like... you are all nuts.

P.S. we live in Florida...

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I have lived in south east Texas for the majority of my life and it still amazes me that such a little bit of ice from this storm has brought the city to a stand still. The majority of the schools are closed and a good many companies told their employees to stay home today. Yet these are the same people that will drive around town during a Cat 2/3 hurricane just for kicks. So today i have everyone home but I will still be sitting at my desk chugging away at work as usual....

I feel ya Todd...same thing for us Central Texans too. :/

Same thing happened yesterday too...and next week we are in for more frigid temperatures but not sure about the ice.

And lucky me, I have a laptop to bring home, so ,even when I can't make it in because of inclement weather, I still end up working 10-12 hour days
. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online