cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've got a few days off and I'm really wanting to treat myself to a movie. Anybody have a good one they can recommend? last one I saw was the latest Hunger Games and that was just okay for me.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would go down the Golden Globes list and see what appeals to you! I haven't seen many since Gabriel was born but there are some that look really good!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
The past few weeks we saw Gravity, American Hustle and the Hobbit.
Gravity was literally the scariest movie I have ever seen. I will never, ever go to space. So don't ask...LOL. I had anxiety the whole movie, it was just intense. Oh so scary, I enjoyed it. The special effects were awesome. Some people I know saw it and they hated it. I don't think they thought of the bigger space picture though. I could talk about that movie for days cause it scared me so much.
LOVED American Hustle. So clever, the acting was fantastic, the plot rocked. It was a great movie and the ending had my mouth hanging wide open. I was not expecting it. Amy Adams gave a genius performance.
The Hobbit was good, but I'm a huge nerd and I loved it, but you can't watch that unless you watch the first one. So see the first one then the most recent one. I was very impressed with the effects.
I also watched The Ten Commandments, cause I just love old movies and who can resist Yul Brenner.

Last edited:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not a big Sandra Bullock fan but Gravity was a movie I was thinking of going to see. I like scary and thriller types so maybe that would fit the bill. American Hustler…another one i was thinking of. Also, there's a Tom Hanks one called Captain Phillips which is showing at the cheap-o theater near me…:hmm:…decisions, decisions...

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I'm not a big Sandra Bullock fan but Gravity was a movie I was thinking of going to see. I like scary and thriller types so maybe that would fit the bill. American Hustler…another one i was thinking of. Also, there's a Tom Hanks one called Captain Phillips which is showing at the cheap-o theater near me…:hmm:…decisions, decisions...
You can't tell it's her in this movie, she takes on a different personality. If you are scared of space, see that movie. Thor 2 is showing at our cheapy theater. That is my next one!!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just saw Lone Survivor which was amazing, but VERY intense & sad… may not be something you want to just go see. The Hobbit was fantastic, but we are total nerds in our family… we love that kind of stuff. I want to see American Hustle, and I have heard that Wolf of Wall Street is pretty good… haven't seen either of them.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh, yeah, Wolf of Wall Street…that one sounds intriguing too...:yes:

I don't know about the intriguing part, but Leonardo is pretty cute if you know what I mean… LOL :drool:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm a movie buff so I like all different kinds... there has been a lot of movies that were great.

These have been out a while so might be in your cheap-o theater:

Ender's Game - my favorite. I loved the book and usually I recommend reading the book before watching the movie, but this one, skip the book! The movie is AWESOME! It's sci-fi that tackles big issues like government/society exploitation of children, genocide, reality in a video game experience, etc, in a sci-fi setting so it is not too harsh on the psyche. Lots of inner backstory from the book that makes the story a little more tractable, but it's not necessary, I don't think.

Thor 2 - if you like Marvel movies, this is a good one. Not as good as the first one, not half as good as the Avengers, but it's a good enough entry into the superheroes genre.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Legolas is back! Legolas and Thauriel (elves) are super duper action awesome! Just watching the two of them fight orcs is enough to make the movie worth watching. And then you top it off with the stalwart dwarves... it's just good. Don't bother trying to compare this to the book... I would label this as "inspired by events in The Hobbit".... and, of course, as it's a middle movie out of a triple series, the ending sucks.

Gravity - It should be just titled Bullock. LOL. There are only 3 actors in this entire movie. One was only in the movie for like 2 minutes, the other for like 15 minutes... Bullock went solo for most of the movie. She did great. Completely different from her usual Miss Congeniality-type character. The story is compelling and believable unless you're a space enthusiast and then you'll get frustrated.

Captain Phillips - I hated this movie. No, no, it's a greatly acted and produced movie but... I just can't believe how crazily useless the "entire US Navy" is in this movie! I know we are much much better than this! And... I kept on thinking... a big ginormous boat against a teeny rubber raft with machine guns. C'mon - put one machine gun on the big ginormous boat! Just one! And you won't have this problem. If you like Tom Hanks, Saving Mr. Banks is a better movie.

The Butler - my husband liked this one, I'm so-so about it. It kinda wants to be an epic movie but it didn't quite rise to that level. But, great actors pulled this movie off. It's about the Civil Rights Movement through the eyes of a black White House Butler serving several Presidents.

Some newer ones:

Frozen - the latest Disney Princess. It's not as good as Tangled in my opinion but it's still quite great with a great twist. I've been singing the songs on karaoke! And it's great for a winter wonderland season.

Lone Survivor - this one is great but sad and it makes you think. Lots of blood and gore as it's a war movie.

Anchorman 2 - Will Ferrell in his most awesomeness. This is seriously hilarious!!!

Secret Life of Walter Mitty - this one is a good light-hearted romantic one.

Saving Mr. Banks - a better choice than Captain Phillips in my opinion. Although it would get those who really know Walt Disney gritting their teeth from some inaccurate portrayals.

Jack Ryan - ok, I admit, I'm biased... I just love Chris Pine... and him reviving my favorite Jack Ryan character... win win win.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION], wow, you've watched A LOT of movies!! Thanks for the reviews :)

So today I watched "Gravity" in 3D while my car was gutting serviced. Luckily the movie theater was only a 15min walk away. It was GOOD! I liked it a lot and i'm not a big Sandra B. fan. Pretty intense, suspenseful, and slightly a tearjerker (for me anyways)!

I also watched Captain Phillips--I liked it very much. Well, I just love Tom Hanks anyways. I liked your review on this one [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]. Good points made there! I will need to catch Saving Mr.Banks...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm a movie buff so I like all different kinds... there has been a lot of movies that were great.

.. I just love Chris Pine...

you need to be a movie reviewer... short and to the point! And Chris Pine..... HUBBA HUBBA!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just saw the Lego movie yesterday w/the kids, and we LOVED it!!! It was super funny… :w00t:

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I want to watch it soooo bad. But I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get back so we can go together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions