Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm a movie buff so I like all different kinds... there has been a lot of movies that were great.

These have been out a while so might be in your cheap-o theater:

Ender's Game - my favorite. I loved the book and usually I recommend reading the book before watching the movie, but this one, skip the book! The movie is AWESOME! It's sci-fi that tackles big issues like government/society exploitation of children, genocide, reality in a video game experience, etc, in a sci-fi setting so it is not too harsh on the psyche. Lots of inner backstory from the book that makes the story a little more tractable, but it's not necessary, I don't think.

Thor 2 - if you like Marvel movies, this is a good one. Not as good as the first one, not half as good as the Avengers, but it's a good enough entry into the superheroes genre.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Legolas is back! Legolas and Thauriel (elves) are super duper action awesome! Just watching the two of them fight orcs is enough to make the movie worth watching. And then you top it off with the stalwart dwarves... it's just good. Don't bother trying to compare this to the book... I would label this as "inspired by events in The Hobbit".... and, of course, as it's a middle movie out of a triple series, the ending sucks.

Gravity - It should be just titled Bullock. LOL. There are only 3 actors in this entire movie. One was only in the movie for like 2 minutes, the other for like 15 minutes... Bullock went solo for most of the movie. She did great. Completely different from her usual Miss Congeniality-type character. The story is compelling and believable unless you're a space enthusiast and then you'll get frustrated.

Captain Phillips - I hated this movie. No, no, it's a greatly acted and produced movie but... I just can't believe how crazily useless the "entire US Navy" is in this movie! I know we are much much better than this! And... I kept on thinking... a big ginormous boat against a teeny rubber raft with machine guns. C'mon - put one machine gun on the big ginormous boat! Just one! And you won't have this problem. If you like Tom Hanks, Saving Mr. Banks is a better movie.

The Butler - my husband liked this one, I'm so-so about it. It kinda wants to be an epic movie but it didn't quite rise to that level. But, great actors pulled this movie off. It's about the Civil Rights Movement through the eyes of a black White House Butler serving several Presidents.

Some newer ones:

Frozen - the latest Disney Princess. It's not as good as Tangled in my opinion but it's still quite great with a great twist. I've been singing the songs on karaoke! And it's great for a winter wonderland season.

Lone Survivor - this one is great but sad and it makes you think. Lots of blood and gore as it's a war movie.

Anchorman 2 - Will Ferrell in his most awesomeness. This is seriously hilarious!!!

Secret Life of Walter Mitty - this one is a good light-hearted romantic one.

Saving Mr. Banks - a better choice than Captain Phillips in my opinion. Although it would get those who really know Walt Disney gritting their teeth from some inaccurate portrayals.

Jack Ryan - ok, I admit, I'm biased... I just love Chris Pine... and him reviving my favorite Jack Ryan character... win win win.

Now I really want to see Enders game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Now I really want to see Enders game!

It's out on DVD now. My kids gave it to me for Valentines Day. So, I watched it again... for the 5th time. (Saw it in the theaters 4 times. I know, I know...)

Ones I've watched recently:

Lego Movie
I have 2 boys ages 10 and 12... if you have boys in this age group, it's a must see. But, fair warning - you're going to come out of this movie singing, "Everything is awesome...." all the way into your sleep...

Robocop
I love this movie! Waaaay better than the origial. Gary Oldman never gets old. And, of course, that visor action thing is just adrenaline pumping. And with the original Robocop theme song, it gives you some nostalgic moments if you liked the original. The best change from the original - the partner is not a girl... it totally works for me. Just 2 cop partners being really good best buddies.

Frozen Sing-along
Of course! I watched Frozen again with my nieces and my 10-year-old son. When Let It Go scene came, my son turns to me in shock saying, "MOM! They're singing! In the THEATER!". So yeah, a Sing-along version of this movie is a fantastic idea!

I, Frankenstein
Hmmm... the Frankenstein enthusiasts are probably gonna hate this movie. I enjoyed it enough. Lots of visual eye candy on this one and... that's pretty much it. Dexter's girlfriend - Yvonne Strahovski - almost ruined the movie completely... all by herself. Not only did she suck - seems like she only has one facial expression and only 3 facial muscles - she wore ugly shoes. If there's anything unforgivable in a movie, it's the pretty lady wearing ugly shoes. But Bill Nighy and Miranda Otto made up for it... almost. Jai was passable just like he was in Die Hard. But Aaron Eckhart's acrobatics was very fun to watch that he made me forget the ugly shoes. The Frankenstein die-hards are probably gonna hate the demon versus gargoyles angle too - the gargoyles are supposed to be the Godly ones but they're more ugly than the demons and just as mean. And the die-hards, I'm fairly sure, are going to not like Dr. Frankenstein's monster taking on the name Frankenstein... although they did give him the name Adam at first.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm trying to play "catch up" with movie-watching before the Oscar telecast tomorrow so today I watched Dallas Buyer's Club and Blue Jasmine. Two totally different movies of course but I found Blue Jasmine to be so entertaining, funny, and quirky. But what else would you expect from Woody Allen, right? btw, Cate Blanchett was superb, IMO!! The Dallas Buyer's Club was intense, raw and so well acted by Matthew McConahay (sp?). He and Jared Leto did superb jobs in their roles as AIDs patients and I could totally see both actors winning the Oscar for their performances. :bravo:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm trying to play "catch up" with movie-watching before the Oscar telecast tomorrow so today I watched Dallas Buyer's Club and Blue Jasmine. Two totally different movies of course but I found Blue Jasmine to be so entertaining, funny, and quirky. But what else would you expect from Woody Allen, right? btw, Cate Blanchett was superb, IMO!! The Dallas Buyer's Club was intense, raw and so well acted by Matthew McConahay (sp?). He and Jared Leto did superb jobs in their roles as AIDs patients and I could totally see both actors winning the Oscar for their performances. :bravo:

I haven't seen either one of those… bummer!!! I LOVE Jared Leto, he's such an intense actor, plus he's a great singer!!! LOL

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would like to recommend "Bad Grandpa". It's hilarious. :ROFL:

Was that nominated for an Oscar?!! LOL I have to watch that, I keep hearing how funny it is...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I haven't seen either one of those… bummer!!! I LOVE Jared Leto, he's such an intense actor, plus he's a great singer!!! LOL

I'm dying to see Dallas Buyer's Club but I won't. After seeing Requiem for a Dream, I can't picture Jared Leto as anything other than Harry. And that was one film that touched me and my friends in a very bad way (we're all from that part of Brooklyn, and the book/film could have been written about the kids in our neighborhood).

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm dying to see Dallas Buyer's Club but I won't. After seeing Requiem for a Dream, I can't picture Jared Leto as anything other than Harry. And that was one film that touched me and my friends in a very bad way (we're all from that part of Brooklyn, and the book/film could have been written about the kids in our neighborhood).

I've never seen that… I just remember him in Lord of War, and my So-called-Life. I will have to see that one...

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
The heat is pretty funny and I just watched Lee Daniels The Butler really good :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Was that nominated for an Oscar?!! LOL I have to watch that, I keep hearing how funny it is...
It's a Johnny Knoxville movie so I seriously doubt the Academy would nominate it....:ROFL: But OMG, it's the gift of laughter that will keep on giving!!!! :biglaugh:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's a Johnny Knoxville movie so I seriously doubt the Academy would nominate it....:ROFL: But OMG, it's the gift of laughter that will keep on giving!!!! :biglaugh:

I'm gonna have to watch it…
My hubby wanted to watch Lords of Salem last night, a Rob Zombie movie. It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, I was on Pinterest w/my iPad. It was really stupid… LMAO!!!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I took my 2 youngest to the new tinker bell move, great story line lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yesterday I watched the new "300 Rise of an Empire" movie…anyone else see that one? Lots of bloody battle scenes and hunky men! I don't know why but i've been really into these types of action movies where there's a lot of fighting and gore…:fencing:

I think I liked the first "300" better though…with that Gerard Butler guy...:drool:

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Yesterday I watched the new "300 Rise of an Empire" movie…anyone else see that one? Lots of bloody battle scenes and hunky men!

Sold! Gotta see that one. Dont care about the story line. Must...see...six packs...:yes4:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yesterday I watched the new "300 Rise of an Empire" movie…anyone else see that one? Lots of bloody battle scenes and hunky men! I don't know why but i've been really into these types of action movies where there's a lot of fighting and gore…:fencing:

I think I liked the first "300" better though…with that Gerard Butler guy...:drool:

I saw that yesterday too w/some girlfriends!!! LOL I think we were the only ladies in the theatre… I didn't care about the storyline either, I was staring at the "eye-candy" :w00t:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.