cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have been going back and forth in my head about adopting another dog. I see sooooo many unwanted dogs on FB and other sites that I know my next dog will come from a shelter. Iā€™m hesitant to plunge right in because Iā€™m afraid of adding a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] dog to my present two and how those two will react to their new sibling. Finn is particularly territorial so I'm not sure if now is the right time yet or if I should wait til he's a little older and calmer. My question is, do you think adding a smaller dog,like a Chihuahua or Chihuahua mix to the group would be "easier" to handle than adding another dog in similar size to the bullies? There are many unwanted Chihuahuaā€™sin my local shelters so Iā€™m leaning towards this breed. Does anyone here have a Chihuaha or dogs similar in size and how do they get along with your bully?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I don't have Chi's, never had but I got one a few years ago for my son, as a Christmas gift. He got another one the next year. About a year ago, his (ex) wife decided she was going to "get rid" of one she had gotten, who was 6 months old at the time. He felt sorry for it, and took it. He still has it, but the dog HATES me-he will bite me. I have NEVER met a dog that didn't like me! Hurts my feelings. The other two dogs he has hate it, because all he(the dog) does is aggravate them-and he won't let THEM near my son!
I guess it all depends on the dog itself, but the Chi may "bully" your dogs! Chi's are known to be jealous and sometimes protective of their owner. Of course, there are good ones. My son's first two are sweethearts but they hate the "new" one. I am sure all depends on each dog.
It seems to me that is Finn is terrtorial , as you say-it would get worse when he gets older-not better. If the shelter would let you do a home test-that would be the best thing-and bring dog back if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My only interaction with them are in my neighborhood (and we have plenty here), and hub's cousin has one. Most seem to be barkers, and a few have gone after Blue, including the cousins. They come off as being very territorial.

Have your boys interacted with Chihuahuas before?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Lynn, for your feedback. I didn't realize that Finn's territorial-ness would get worse as he ages...thought he would mellow out and not care so much but i guess i'm wrong on that. So maybe it's best to adopt a 3rd dog sooner than later. I just don't want Finn to feel left out either as he already feels "competitive" for affection with Tate. Meeting with Finn would be good, and i wonder if i could bring Finn to the shelter with me, leave him in the car with a friend, and he could meet potential sibling outside(?). Not sure how shelters handle this but i will ask when the time comes.
So many thoughts swishing thru my head right now about this, plus with Finn's surgery upcoming, I'm getting a littly batty! :blink::blink::blink:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My only interaction with them are in my neighborhood (and we have plenty here), and hub's cousin has one. Most seem to be barkers, and a few have gone after Blue, including the cousins. They come off as being very territorial.

Have your boys interacted with Chihuahuas before?

Actually, they have interacted with my brother's long-haired Chihuahas in the past. Tate was very playful with them but i think they were scared of him b/c he is gigantic compared to them! And then Finn, well...he pretty much chased one of them when he visited our house a couple wks ago, and then Tate joined in on the chase and the poor Chi was shaking by the time I got him out of the hole he fell into. Otherwise, though, I think with time, they could all be friends. :unsure:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Actually everyone here usually suggests meeting on neutral territory. I only did that once, as it was on my way home(with a detour) from a trip and I had all the dogs with me! I guess I have always just been quite lucky! If I were you, you should wait and get through with Finn's surgery-and his healing. Then be thinking about the next dog. You will have enough on your mind. AND Aren't we ALL a "little" batty?!! Personally I am ALOT batty flying-bat-animated.gif:whistle:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I will wait til after Finn heals from the surgery. But thought it would be a nice "get well present" for him to have a new brother or sister waiting for him at home after the surgery! On second thought, probably not the best idea as I think he will be feeling quite crummy enough. :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I personally have never had Chi's because I have heard that they like to biteā€¦ and with my kids (and grandson) I'm always leery of that kinda thing. With that being said, I'm pretty sure that there are exceptions to that ruleā€¦ I would definitely give it a go on a trial basis, it would have to be a dog that both Finn & Tate feel comfortable with. And in my opinion I would wait till after Finn recovers from surgeryā€¦ he may NOT be in the mood for a new sibling :stinkeye:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
After working in dog daycare for 4 years... not a fan at all. But, at daycare and at home... dogs are like kids, differnet personality

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
My daughter has chihuahua mixes - (mother, daughter and granddaughter) the daughter is the most snobby one and she will not mix with the bulldogs. The other two are ok but the little one is the most playful with them. I usually just keep them separated most of the time to avoid any fights but with some training I'm sure they could live well together.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! I appreciate everyone's input on this. I know about the Chihuaha's fierce and sometimes bitchy disposition and they are rather yappy dogs, lol! I will wait a little til Finn heals from the upcoming surgery and then take it from there. I need to think with my head, not just my heart, in deciding when to adopt a new fur-kid. Meanwhile, I'm just going to check out the humane society site and keep my ears and eyes peeled.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My son has a Chihuahua and it cannot come to our house because both Amber and Ruby think it is some kind of toy and try to drag and fling it around like their toys. Now, it is entirely possible that my girls just rough but there is no way to stop them from going after the Chihuahua so it dfoesn't cfome to our house. The Great Dane (one of my rescues my son has at his apartment) does fine with the little one but not my girls are just too rough. They are great with the cat and things their size just not the toy dogs. Good luck.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well I will be honest, the only experience I have had with a Chi was my grandmother had one, her name was Mindy Joe. She was the most vicious dog I have ever been around!! She barked non-stop and when you went into her house she would bite the crap out of our ankles. I was a girl/teenager and I hated and was scared of Mindy Joe, lol. And to think Pits, Doberman's etc.. have the bad rep. I had Dobies for years with my X (boys dad) and NEVER had once issue with raising them together. I guess it just all depends on the dog.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.