brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm just seeing this now. I am praying they get home soon and he can get checked out. Please update as soon as you hear anything.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone. My daughter took Kaden and herself to the emergency to get checked out, our family doctor wasn't available today. They checked him out, and said it was the same virus that is going around here, and it has to run its course. I'm really surprised that they didn't take a blood test, or do a stool sample as they just came from another country. The doctor told her if the fever didn't go away in a day or two, to bring him back, or follow up with the family doctor. I'm worried about him having had a fever of 102 for the past 5 days, it seems like a long time to me. You worry about dehydration, but I feel a little better and relieved that they're back home where there are doctors available. They put my daughter on antibiotics for her stomach, as she has had the diarrhea for 4 days. She is still off for the rest of the week from work, so at least she can rest, and take care of little man. I hope they get better soon. I'm really surprised that since they have had vomiting and diarrhea, that they didn't do more tests on them to check for potential food borne illnesses, parasites, or other foreign illness. They usually do when you have travelled outside the country. Hopefully it is just a virus, and they get well soon. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that your family is home safe. Hope they all start feeling better soon. When my boys were little, they had a virus that lasted so long. I took them to a Dr. that I had never been to. He said for diarrhea, feed them applesauce. It did help-it has pectin in it. Gatorade would probably be good to replace electrolytes. I wish them a speedy recovery. It's a shame it ruined their vacation.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah, I guess it just has to run its course, you just worry because he's little, and he's not a great eater either, very picky. He has been drinking ginger ale, and Gatorade and he's eating Popsicles, but they didn't have those things in the Dominican. I haven't heard of apple sauce when you have the diarrhea, I'll have to tell my daughter. When my kids were little and had the flu, or a tummy ache, I used to give them what they call the BRAT diet, it stands for banana, rice, applesauce and toast. It's supposed to be fed after they get better to ease their tummies into eating. These things are easy to digest. I feel bad too that their vacation was ruined, my daughter and her hubby have been to the Dominican 12 times and have never been sick, they took my grandson when he was 3, and he was fine. This was his second time, but the whole block of their hotel got sick. When they came home they had so many sick people on the plane. There were all kinds of sick kids, and they had a little boy in the next aisle beside them who was throwing up into a bag the whole trip back, and then there was an elderly woman In the seat behind her who was having a heart attack, and she was having trouble breathing. My daughter is a cash supervisor at Costco, and she is also their safety rep, so she has a CPR and advanced first aid certificates. She and a man on the plane who also had first aid training were helping her, and the airline staff were giving her oxygen. They had 40 minutes before landing, and they had an ambulance waiting for her on the runway. What a trip. She's going to need another vacation just to recoup. It definitely sucks when you plan, and pay for a vacation and you get sick.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Monica, that is crazy!!! We have had some miserable vacations… the worst was my daughter Lily caught a stomach flu on our way to Disney. It was awful, but they were so nice to us… they let us reschedule our dinners, and gave us a day pass to get on the rides faster once she got to feeling better. I'm glad that it's just a virus, and hopefully they will be feeling better real soon!!!

Most Reactions