brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so we decided to add another bully to our family. After much consideration we decided to rescue. Well, we have been trying this since before Thanksgiving. What a nightmare. I don't want this to discourage anyone from rescuing, but just trying to get a phone call returned is impossible. I am so disgusted and discouraged and just freakin pissed off that I feel like giving up and buying a puppy. Whatever, I am just so beside myself with anger that I felt like I had to say something. According to the rescues here (I wont mention any names) there are so many bullys being surrendered. If this is the case why does it seem impossible to get one? Like I said whatever...I give up.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Rosalie sorry to hear the process isn't going well. I have heard people say that the process can take long because the rescues are staffed by people that are volunteers and tend to do the work around their regular jobs etc. Not sure what to say otherwise other than maybe hang in there. I submitted an application a while back and never even got an acknowledgement that my app was received. Very frustrating. I have since decided to back burner adding to my household.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I understand that it is all done on a volunteer basis, I think I thought it would be easier and am just frustrated that it isn't. How sad that you have now decided to put off adopting because of the same problems I am having. I just signed up for the jersey rescue that EBN just listed so hopefully if I broaden my search something will work out. ugh..I hope you have some luck adding a baby to your family soon.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I thought it would be a bit easier as well seeing as there are so many pups that seem to get surrendered. Which rescues have you contacted? It's ok, I just took it as a sign that maybe now wasn't the right time. I may revisit it next spring. I am trying to stay away from breeder sites because my Christmas Bonus is burning a hole in my pocket. About nine years ago I wanted to adopt a kitten and can I tell you what a mess that was. I reached out to a rescue and the lady pretty much accused me of being a bad parent and bad potential owner because I had young children and wanted to give a home to a homeless animal. Totally turned me off. I was eventually fortunate enough to get a kitten from a friend of someone I worked with. Surprise, surprise, after eight years the cat is still alive, even though the lady told me that young children (at the time 9, 6 and 1) would harm a cat and that animals shouldn't be around children. Never mind that I assured the woman that I know better than to leave any animal unsupervised with children. Hopefully your dream of adding to your fur family can be realized.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Never give up! Be persistent and stay on top of them! Push that frustration aside and add patience. Good luck~Save the Bullies!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Rosalie, I completely understand and sympathize. So sad that here, there are
TWO wonderful homes, existing bullies in them and no calls from rescues...
REALLY?!! It makes me so very sad...for them and for y'all :(

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Please don't give up [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] ! I can understand the frustration. You want the bully and will provide he/she with a great home but like it was mentioned everything is on a volunteer basis. Application reviews, checking references, home visits, behavioral analysis etc . Its a lot of work but I know the wait will all be worth it. Try to keep the faith. Maybe Santa's waiting and will get you some answers by Christmas

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I really hope you don't give up. I know the rescues get so crazy busy. We have been a foster family for a local rescue for a while now and I can tell you that the gals that run that rescue are constantly busy. They are either dropping dogs off with fosters, running to meet applicants, running dogs to vet appointments, dropping supplies off with foster families, checking computer inquiries....the list goes on and on. I know it's frustrating and a huge waiting game but for every dog someone applies for....there could be a stack of applications to weed through and check.

Please hang in there :(

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
As you know Rosalie I am very familiar with your situation. It is infuriating to me that the process unfolded as it did for you. You were led to believe you had a rescue for two weeks and then the rug was pulled out from under you. It has changed my opinion of that rescue and the people in charge tremendously. I do hope you find one soon..don't give up. There's a special bully waiting to be part of your family.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone. I think I was just having a bit of a breakdown. I won't give up. I know there is a baby out there for us.

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
we live in pa and we rescued a Bully from Heaven Sent Bulldog rescue. maybe they serve your area. the process was very quick despite what their website said.
good lick

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.