Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cat Problems

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cat Problems

We all talk about the boyfriend's cat being his baby... this cat is also HER baby. It's not that easy to let go of a beloved pet.

I have a suggestion. How about you offer to house the cat for the meantime? Cats are normally easier to care for than dogs.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    We all talk about the boyfriend's cat being his baby... this cat is also HER baby. It's not that easy to let go of a beloved pet.

I have a suggestion. How about you offer to house the cat for the meantime? Cats are normally easier to care for than dogs.
    Yes, I agree 100% with you. That's why I'm not sure what to do.

I absolutely would offer to take her cat, but I'm also gone long hours during the day and have a cat of my own.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by s5nelson View Post
    Yes, I agree 100% with you. That's why I'm not sure what to do.

I absolutely would offer to take her cat, but I'm also gone long hours during the day and have a cat of my own.
    After what happened I wouldn't even take that chance. I know some are trying to play devil's advocate here and look at it from both sides but at the end of the day, your bf gave her a place to stay. Her cat (of course not her fault) did something that would, at least to me, be reason enough for her cat to need to find another living arrangement, even if temporary until she gets her own place. But I just would not feel comfortable with it in my house. HE's doing her a favor.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=anatess;430839]We all talk about the boyfriend's cat being his baby... this cat is also HER baby. It's not that easy to let go of a beloved pet.

So, your position is what? Continue allowing the possibility of further harm to his
    cats? What do you think she should do about his vet bills? It tells me a lot about her
    in that, she's not OFFERED to help pay anything. There are other ways to make
    restitution if broke, such as cleaning his house, doing yard work, etc. It most certainly
    is not HIS fault nor his responsibility to find solutions, it's HERS.

The worst thing here, other than his beloved cat near death, is IT COULD HAVE BEEN
    PREVENTED. The girl, knowing her cat was like this, should have TOLD him also caged
    her cat AND confined it, caged, in her room, simple as that. The poor guy didn't even
    know, to me, that's plain wrong! I doubt, under the same circumstances, you'd feel the
    same if your pets or children were attacked and you weren't informed of the possibility,
    and you've got $$$'s owed on an unexpected vet bill. The girl is still not taking any
    responsibility for what has already occurred nor doing what is needed to do to prevent
    an occurrance...it's just wrong.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post
    After what happened I wouldn't even take that chance. I know some are trying to play devil's advocate here and look at it from both sides but at the end of the day, your bf gave her a place to stay. Her cat (of course not her fault) did something that would, at least to me, be reason enough for her cat to need to find another living arrangement, even if temporary until she gets her own place. But I just would not feel comfortable with it in my house. HE's doing her a favor.
    He's absolutely doing her a favor, but he did request that she finds another home for the cat in the meantime. I'm not sure what she's doing about it (he & I don't talk much since we're both gone so much during the week between work & school), but I'm sure I'll find out soon!

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;430961]
    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post

So, your position is what? Continue allowing the possibility of further harm to his cats? What do you think she should do about his vet bills? It tells me a lot about her in that, she's not OFFERED to help pay anything. There are other ways to make restitution if broke, such as cleaning his house, doing yard work, etc. It most certainly is not HIS fault nor his responsibility to find solutions, it's HERS.

The worst thing here, other than his beloved cat near death, is IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. The girl, knowing her cat was like this, should have TOLD him also caged her cat AND confined it, caged, in her room, simple as that. The poor guy didn't even know, to me, that's plain wrong! I doubt, under the same circumstances, you'd feel the same if your pets or children were attacked and you weren't informed of the possibility, and you've got $$$'s owed on an unexpected vet bill. The girl is still not taking any responsibility for what has already occurred nor doing what is needed to do to prevent an occurrance...it's just wrong.
    I'm not 100% sure that she hasn't offered, the only thing that he said was that she doesn't have the money. My bet is that she didn't offer to make it up to him because he more than likely would have said something about her offering, but again, not 100% positive.

Her cat was a bully before with other cats / animals, but had never attacked any other animal to that degree (to his knowledge) before this incident. I can't imagine that anyone would bring a cat into an environment fully knowing that she would attack to kill these other animals, but I do agree with you that she should be acting to remedy the situation.

Since we can't talk during the week, we email each other and he sent me an email late last night saying he'd explain more today. I'll let you guys all know what he says.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I'm not 100% sure that she hasn't offered, the only thing that he said was that she doesn't have the money. My bet is that she didn't offer to make it up to him because he more than likely would have said something about her offering, but again, not 100% positive.

Her cat was a bully before with other cats / animals, but had never attacked any other animal to that degree (to his knowledge) before this incident. I can't imagine that anyone would bring a cat into an environment fully knowing that she would attack to kill these other animals, but I do agree with you that she should be acting to remedy the situation.

Since we can't talk during the week, we email each other and he sent me an email late last night saying he'd explain more today. I'll let you guys all know what he says.[/QUOTE]
    @Manydogs...Like Lynn, I've opened my heart, purse, home, etc, all my life to all
    needed the help and like her, I found out that no one offered to help me when I
    was in need. That wasn't WHY we did it but it was a rude lesson in human nature.
    I'm not accusing this girl of anything but irresponsibility & ignorance. I get that her
    cat hadn't attacked before now but she knew her cat didn't like other cats. That
    warranted extra caution such as letting your BF know this and caging her cat and
    confining to her room, so simple. Even now, she's creating further trauma by not
    rehoming her cat. Yeah, I get she loves her cat but in light of the tragedy it's caused,
    she needs to do the right thing by all, her cat too, I'm sure it's suffering as it obviously
    does not feel safe. What a mess her ignorance has made.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    @Manydogs...Like Lynn, I've opened my heart, purse, home, etc, all my life to all
    needed the help and like her, I found out that no one offered to help me when I
    was in need. That wasn't WHY we did it but it was a rude lesson in human nature.
    I'm not accusing this girl of anything but irresponsibility & ignorance. I get that her
    cat hadn't attacked before now but she knew her cat didn't like other cats. That
    warranted extra caution such as letting your BF know this and caging her cat and
    confining to her room, so simple. Even now, she's creating further trauma by not
    rehoming her cat. Yeah, I get she loves her cat but in light of the tragedy it's caused,
    she needs to do the right thing by all, her cat too, I'm sure it's suffering as it obviously
    does not feel safe. What a mess her ignorance has made.
    You're absolutely right. I agree with you 100%. It is a mess that was caused by ignorance and I'm just hoping that his cat heals & she learns something from all of this.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure this is a hard situation both ways around, however I do feel that If it was Me staying at someones house and my cat attacked theirs, not once but twice , right you said he had to take him back again, I would def have to find away to remove the cat or I would have to find away to go as well. I do think a rescue would take that cat, just as with dogs, they will say dog aggressive and will not let the dog go to a home with other dogs, they do with cats as well. Sorry for all involved in the situation and will be praying that his cat makes it thru this and comes out ok...

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jlcox24 View Post
    I'm sure this is a hard situation both ways around, however I do feel that If it was Me staying at someones house and my cat attacked theirs, not once but twice , right you said he had to take him back again, I would def have to find away to remove the cat or I would have to find away to go as well. I do think a rescue would take that cat, just as with dogs, they will say dog aggressive and will not let the dog go to a home with other dogs, they do with cats as well. Sorry for all involved in the situation and will be praying that his cat makes it thru this and comes out ok...
    No, no I'm sorry if I was unclear, she was only attacked once, but she's had to go back to the vet several times for checkups and such. She's been in such massive amounts of pain that he's been having to stagger her pain meds to every 6 hours otherwise she winds up thrashing around / shaking. She's on Tramadol and one other (can't remember the name of it right now) every 12 hours, so he'll give her one pill every 6 just to make sure that she can at least rest.

My really big concern is that there's some other issue since she's in this much pain that the vet hasn't found yet & that's why she's just not getting better.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

ah ok....however my thoughts are still the same!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    So, your position is what? Continue allowing the possibility of further harm to his
    cats? What do you think she should do about his vet bills? It tells me a lot about her
    in that, she's not OFFERED to help pay anything. There are other ways to make
    restitution if broke, such as cleaning his house, doing yard work, etc. It most certainly
    is not HIS fault nor his responsibility to find solutions, it's HERS.

The worst thing here, other than his beloved cat near death, is IT COULD HAVE BEEN
    PREVENTED. The girl, knowing her cat was like this, should have TOLD him also caged
    her cat AND confined it, caged, in her room, simple as that. The poor guy didn't even
    know, to me, that's plain wrong! I doubt, under the same circumstances, you'd feel the
    same if your pets or children were attacked and you weren't informed of the possibility,
    and you've got $$$'s owed on an unexpected vet bill. The girl is still not taking any
    responsibility for what has already occurred nor doing what is needed to do to prevent
    an occurrance...it's just wrong.

I have given several options on this thread... go read them.

And it's not really a good thing to be vehement about a judgement knowing next to nothing about the situation. The OP is not the owner of the cat nor does she live in the house... we don't know the entire story, what he's done or what she's done to remedy the situation. If we're going to give advice on a smidgen of info, we need to explore all posibilities.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads