Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: personal Quandry

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: personal Quandry

@cali baker I am a Nurse 3 so I make minimally less than many of my NP peers. For example, my friend got her NP last year and only got an $80 raise. So it all depends on your Nurse level on your pay. I have a good 25 years until I can retire, really since I am 46 with just over 10 years in. @violetrose, nurses are Title 38 not GS and I am already a 3 with my BSN (I challenged the education part since I perform MSN roles). And yes, I see myself bored out of my mind doing what I am doing now. @fastmatt613, I have a long time to go at the VA and plan to stay to ensure a retirement pension. I have no idea about the interest rate but do know you have 6 months until you have to start paying. There are multiple programs for loan forgiveness but nothing guaranteed until I seek after I have my degree (unless you know of something!!). @brutus77 2 years to get my NP and I have at least 10 years (I think until I could retire from the VA). @Chumley, I would love to grow up and be an NP but not at the expense of my family. I having tossing this around in my head for years and daily told by NP that I need to do it. @mer55 I am in no position to retire at 60 since a very nasty divorce and late start as a nurse (I was 30). but even retiring at 60, I could do part time work until I was bedridden, lol . @ChrisRN Oh believe me I am doing my homework, which is one of the reasons I have been off EBN. I have been going back and forth for years. Where would you suggest I start? I have applied for online at Gonzaga (a local college). Do you suggest going online somewhere else?

I'm a good girl, I promise

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I have the same opinion as Henny, and agree with her reasoning. If you are planning on leaving the VA, and have the opportunity of making more money, then I would say go for it, but if you plan on staying where you are, and have experience, seniority, pension, and you like your job, why would you want to leave? I also don't know your age, but if you are young then it might be worth spending the extra money for the potential to make more money in the future, but if you are older, then why take on debt, and leave a secure job, plus you would be in school, so you would have less income while you were a student. You have to weigh the pros and cons of both situations, and make your decision.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agingermom View Post
    @ChrisRN Oh believe me I am doing my homework, which is one of the reasons I have been off EBN. I have been going back and forth for years. Where would you suggest I start? I have applied for online at Gonzaga (a local college). Do you suggest going online somewhere else?
    There are so many great programs out there now! Have you looked at Discovernursing.com? It is a website by Johnson & Johnson and has great resources. Make sure you find a program that is accredited. I did my MSN through University of Phoenix--very expensive and tough--but sooooo worth it all! Does the VA have any kind of reimbursement? The college where I worked at the time didn't. I had mixed emotions. They required my MSN but didn't help me get it. The good news is, once I got it, the degree was MINE and I didn't owe them anything!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads