ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
As most of you know, we were having tornado watches in our area last night... all of the surrounding counties postponed Trick or Treating until tonight. This morning we heard the tragic news that a 9 year old child was electrocuted by a power line that went down last night in Nashville. The first thing my daughter said was "Why would the parents allow them to go out last night?". Of course we don't know all the details of what exactly happened, BUT I know in my area lots of parents were complaining on FB about changing Trick or Treating!!! REALLY?!! Do we lose all common sense because we don't want our kids to be disappointed about Trick or Treating? WTH is wrong w/people?!! Ok off my soapbox for now... LOL I just don't understand why people are afraid to actually parent their kids these days?!! :confused:

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I will never understand some people...and some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate or have pets haha!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I will never understand some people...and some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate or have pets haha!

Agreed!!! It's just sad that my daughter realized the dangers, and she's only 12 years old :bigeyes:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
There is NO common sense, tragic when a 9 y/o can't be told, No trick
or treating in this weather, let's have a party at home.

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Agreed!!! It's just sad that my daughter realized the dangers, and she's only 12 years old :bigeyes:

Your daughter has obviously been raised to be FAR more responsible than a lot of the other kids out there. I was recently volunteered to be the Technical Director of a local High School's production of The Cat in the Hat and I can tell you that your daughter is more than likely, far more mature than most of the High School students that I've been working with. They are just so incredibly clueless...I fear for our future generations.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Your daughter has obviously been raised to be FAR more responsible than a lot of the other kids out there. I was recently volunteered to be the Technical Director of a local High School's production of The Cat in the Hat and I can tell you that your daughter is more than likely, far more mature than most of the High School students that I've been working with. They are just so incredibly clueless...I fear for our future generations.

I always say that if my kids HATE me at times, then I'm doing my job right!!! ;) LOL Sorry but I'm not here to be your friend, or help everything "go your way"... I'm definitely NOT parent of the year, I have made a zillion mistakes along the way. Parenting in this enabling, materialistic society is extremely complicated!!! Most of the time I'm LOSING IT... LOL :bang:

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I always say that if my kids HATE me at times, then I'm doing my job right!!! ;) LOL Sorry but I'm not here to be your friend, or help everything "go your way"... I'm definitely NOT parent of the year, I have made a zillion mistakes along the way. Parenting in this enabling, materialistic society is extremely complicated!!! Most of the time I'm LOSING IT... LOL :bang:

Hahaha! You are SO right! That's part of parenting though, making tons of mistakes & learning from them :)

I'm always SO glad to see the kids who aren't materialistic and who are learning to earn things for themselves. This job at the High School has really been a great experience. The kids are learning how to do these complex projects and the responsibility / pride that I'm seeing is just amazing to watch. The entire attitude has changed from day 1 when I first walked in till now. I'm definitely super proud of how well they're doing and how much they're learning (ok so I might be bragging a small bit and I'll probably post pictures of the set pieces they're building haha!)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know I was raised SO differently than my kids... we were outside all day long, riding around town on our bikes and expected to be home when the streetlights came on!!! Nowadays you can't let your kids out of your sight :bigeyes: so many creeps out there. My kids are spoiled too, and we are the ones to blame!!! Now that they are older they have to earn money to buy things that they want... it's still hard!!!

Your job sounds very rewarding!!! There are so many good kids out there, it's just the parents that are the idiots!!! I like to spend time w/my kids, and so many kids are left on their own... I'm lucky though, I stay at home. Sadly that is NOT an option for many homes :(

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
You know I was raised SO differently than my kids... we were outside all day long, riding around town on our bikes and expected to be home when the streetlights came on!!! Nowadays you can't let your kids out of your sight :bigeyes: so many creeps out there. My kids are spoiled too, and we are the ones to blame!!! Now that they are older they have to earn money to buy things that they want... it's still hard!!!

Your job sounds very rewarding!!! There are so many good kids out there, it's just the parents that are the idiots!!! I like to spend time w/my kids, and so many kids are left on their own... I'm lucky though, I stay at home. Sadly that is NOT an option for many homes :(

Yeah, I agree. My neighborhood was the same way, and now I would be terrified to let any kids stay outside unsupervised.

I love that my neighbor volunteered me for the play. I was actually asked to do the Spring Musical as well and I agreed to that as well, so we'll see! I definitely love it and I think it's well worth the extra time / effort. I actually work full time on top of doing the plays, so it's a LOT, but it's really rewarding so no complaints on this end :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with you, my childhood was like that as well, we weren't in front of a TV, or plugged into a computer or I pad, we didn't have video games, and we didn't eat fast food. We were outside all day, bike riding, up at our cottage, camping, we wore our siblings hand me downs, and most of the stuff we did didn't cost anything. Most of our mothers were at home, and we had to do chores and be home when the street light went on. Things were much less complicated, and we were much more responsible and respectful. We feared our teachers, our parents, and even our neighbours in case we did misbehave and they would tell our parents. Nowadays, not everyone because there are a lot of great kids out there too, but there are a lot of disrespectful, violent, and rude kids, who are spoiled, and left alone to do as they please with no guidance, and no supervision. A lot of that has to do with our world today, and our economy, you need two salaries to survive today, and kids are left alone, many households have only one parent present, so there isn't always the positive influence of a father in a lot of kids lives, and then you factor in that a single Mom is stressed out doing everything on her own, sometimes working two jobs to make ends meet. It's very sad what happened to that little girl, a very sad tragedy.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally agree with you, my childhood was like that as well, we weren't in front of a TV, or plugged into a computer or I pad, we didn't have video games, and we didn't eat fast food. We were outside all day, bike riding, up at our cottage, camping, we wore our siblings hand me downs, and most of the stuff we did didn't cost anything. Most of our mothers were at home, and we had to do chores and be home when the street light went on. Things were much less complicated, and we were much more responsible and respectful. We feared our teachers, our parents, and even our neighbours in case we did misbehave and they would tell our parents. Nowadays, not everyone because there are a lot of great kids out there too, but there are a lot of disrespectful, violent, and rude kids, who are spoiled, and left alone to do as they please with no guidance, and no supervision. A lot of that has to do with our world today, and our economy, you need two salaries to survive today, and kids are left alone, many households have only one parent present, so there isn't always the positive influence of a father in a lot of kids lives, and then you factor in that a single Mom is stressed out doing everything on her own, sometimes working two jobs to make ends meet. It's very sad what happened to that little girl, a very sad tragedy.
I agree Monica... it's so sad that our world has changed so much!!! I was fearful of any adult growing up... especially my DAD!!! LOL :eek:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is so tragic, I don't understand why people are like that either. Geez louize there are tornado watches going on and you're letting your kid run around out there. Sad, poor baby.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with everyone on here. I do not parent by popularity. I tell my kids we can be friends when you are grown. I am sad for that little girl.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is so tragic, I don't understand why people are like that either. Geez louize there are tornado watches going on and you're letting your kid run around out there. Sad, poor baby.

They even released school out early for the day... Obviously they were taking these storms seriously!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so very sad... a loss of life for some candy??

As for parenting, I do not have any children, but in my opinion, it is not that the parents of today are afriad to parent... they are lazy or self-absored and not paying attention.

I like most of you was outside all day, home by 5:00 for dnner when dad got home or you a$$ was sore the next day and you were hungry becasue if you were not there when dinner was servered, you did not eat.

Most Reactions