The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am so freaking tired of others deciding what is best for children these days and not their parents. The whole PC protect my snowflakes feels crap has got to stop as it is part of the problem with our society today. The son of a friend of mine plays in a local peewee football league and while they are not the greatest team they have done enough to earn a spot in their Superbowl of sorts. However, they are not going to be playing in that game because the coaches took it upon themselves to forfeit the game ahead of time because they had already lost to the team earlier in the season 40-0 without polling the parents or the players for that matter to see if they agreed...

The coaches reasoning was that they wanted to end the season on a high note and not take a chance on hurting the kids emotionally if they were to lose the game. WTF is it with that crap. I know if I was a parent I would be very pissed off as not only is this a pay to play league but the kids themselves weren't even part of the process at a minimum. So what are they gaining and teaching these kids by doing this? If you ask me you are teaching them nothing and doing more harm than good by showing them that yes we are quitters because of the scary better team we would play. How about work harder, get better and reap the rewards? Where did that go?

What makes this even funnier is that in place of playing in the Superbowl the coaches decided that they would play in a football tournament in a few weeks. So lets see here.... How is that better when a recreational team is going to be going up against specifically built select tournament teams? These coaches are idiots and I am so glad we never had to deal with them.

Nothing is life is fair. Work hard for what you want or die trying is what I say. Kids ned to learn that you have to work hard for your dreams and aspirations and that nothing earned is ever handed to you.

Sorry for the vent. Just had to get it out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AMEN!! Try dealing with these 'cuddled grownups' in the corporate world... it is killing me. They come out of college thinking everything will just be handed to them and expected the highest raise for having done nothing... no initiative, creativity or understanding of working for what want and having pride in what YOU accompished.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of!!! If I was one of those parents, I would be really pissed off right now... :cursing:

I'm so SICK & TIRED of hearing this everybody's a WINNER, and you don't want to hurt their SELF ESTEEM crap!!! This mentality only sets kids up to NOT being able to handle life's disappointments... and let's all face the facts, LIFE is full of disappointments!!! The earlier that they realize this little fact the better off they are... honestly losing is sometimes your BEST lesson, because you can learn from it!!! Why would you want to steal that from your kid?!! Guess what you are not going to be great at everything, but there is something out there that IS your calling so go out there and find out what that "something" is?!! Not to mention that fact that I'm sure these kids were SO excited to be going... they could have had the best game even if they lost!!!;) SMH...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
OMG! This is soooooo why we have youngsters who think EVERYTHING should be handed to them! My husband coached Pop Warner for 10 years, and he would NEVER have stood for forfieting a game for ANY reason. He taught his kids that on any given day, any given team can beat anyone! He made sure his team walked in with their heads high, and walked out the same way, win or lose. He coached all levels and it didn't matter the age, the message was always the same. He also coached girls softball and treated them to the same strategy. His Mantra: "When we win, we celebrate and move on to the next game. When we lose, we celebrate as a team, and don't look back. On any given day, any team can win, and any team can lose. If we play our best, and as a team, we will always be winners."
Those coaches need a lesson in reality teaching for these youngsters. Hopefully, enough parents will protest this decision.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I totally agree. If we don't let kids go through these experiences...win or lose...they will have no coping skills whatsoever. It will be rough on them as adults if they never go through the good and the bad.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
One of my favorite movies is the Little Giants. I love the line.... You may lose 99 times out of 100 but there is always that 1 time.

My kids have always been very competitive and the crap posted above is why they never played in recreational leagues. At the age of 6 my daughter was a nationally ranked figure skater and traveled around the country competing up until she switched to horse jumping at the age of 11 and my son played ice hockey from the age of 8 up through high school with an offer to tryout to play in the juniors his sophomore year which he chose on his own not to do. They both had to work hard to achieve what they did and they sure had a lot of good times and their fair share of bad times along the way. You know what? They turned out just fine and are growing up to be fine young adults.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Ugh. That really does bother me.. It is sad how these kids are turning out these days.. Im only 30. But When I was 18 I had my own job, paid for all of my stuff, carried my own insurance. I work with insurance at a hospital and I cant tell you how many times these kids( really adults ) come in at ages 18 to 23 with their parent to get outpatient testing done, And when I ask these kids questions about personal info and medical also I get "oh i dunno" 90% of the time. Its sad.. Way too much coddling going on these days!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I see these "kids" as adults in my classes. They expect us to teach without them having to do any active learning. They always have an excuse for not doing well and it's always our fault. My stress level this semester has been off the chart--most of it because of these students.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just have to add this since it's on the same line of topic:
My 23 year old son joined the Navy at 17 ( graduated HS young) became a Corpsman, volunteered to join the Fleet Marine Force as a combat medic where he did 2 deployments- one in Kuwait, one in Afghanistan where he spent 7 horrific months in a remote mountainous region, and subsequently earned and was awarded the Silver Star. He is now home safely and decided to use his GI Bill to go to college while he applies to various Police Departments for a career. At his University, he is taken back by the attitude of these 18-20 year olds. He has all he can do to keep his mouth shut in some classes as these "kids" complain about EVERYTHING- and are always looking to get the freebie! He actually had one young man complain that the $$$$ being spent in the military should be better put to use on the "homeless" and those that need "help" here in our country! Another girl complained that her dorm room was too small for 2 people and for the "money my parents are spending here I should have better accomodations"! Seriously? To a guy who spent 7 months sleeping in a makeshift tent, in the dirt and mud, with a gun by his side at all times?? I think it should be mandatory for anyone who complains about simple things, even once, must spend ONE NIGHT in the shoes of any military man or woman. This makes me CRAZY!!!

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
One thing that irritated the crud out of my husband was my son's tball league, they played no outs, every kid hit the base and ran one base at a time, if you got out you stayed on your base and ran to the next with the next hit. They didn't keep score. My husband thought that's great I get they are 4-6 but the 6yr olds are gonna move up and have to play with outs teach them now. My thought it maybe seperate into 4-5 b/c they are just learning the fundamentals, and let them play that way, but it bugged him to death, he said how are they gonna learn, someone has to loose that's life!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My 23 year old son joined the Navy at 17 ( graduated HS young) became a Corpsman, volunteered to join the Fleet Marine Force as a combat medic where he did 2 deployments- one in Kuwait, one in Afghanistan where he spent 7 horrific months in a remote mountainous region, and subsequently earned and was awarded the Silver Star. He is now home safely and decided to use his GI Bill to go to college while he applies to various Police Departments for a career. At his University, he is taken back by the attitude of these 18-20 year olds. He has all he can do to keep his mouth shut in some classes as these "kids" complain about EVERYTHING- and are always looking to get the freebie! He actually had one young man complain that the $$$$ being spent in the military should be better put to use on the "homeless" and those that need "help" here in our country! Another girl complained that her dorm room was too small for 2 people and for the "money my parents are spending here I should have better accomodations"! Seriously? To a guy who spent 7 months sleeping in a makeshift tent, in the dirt and mud, with a gun by his side at all times?? I think it should be mandatory for anyone who complains about simple things, even once, must spend ONE NIGHT in the shoes of any military man or woman. This makes me CRAZY!!!
Your son sounds like an outstanding young man... VERY rare these days!!! Please tell him we THANK him for his service!!! :D

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Please thank your son for his service from me. This is where I have to agree with Israel.. Mandatory service for both men and women over the age of 18. 3 years for men and 2 years for women. Granted they do have exceptions to this rule but we would see a whole lot less of the garbage spewed from the mouths of those that claim self entitlement or we don't need the military if we had something like this.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please thank your son for his service from me. This is where I have to agree with Israel.. Mandatory service for both men and women over the age of 18. 3 years for men and 2 years for women. Granted they do have exceptions to this rule but we would see a whole lot less of the garbage spewed from the mouths of those that claim self entitlement or we don't need the military if we had something like this.

Absolutely! And we might even save a few kids by doing this! The Military just might change the life of someone on the edge- giving them a sense of pride, patriotism, and motivation.
And @ ddnene and @ Marine91: message of thanks delivered! He is my pride and joy!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey

i agree with you 100% on that Todd..can you imagine this country if the draft were reinstituted? Everyone wants to enjoy the freedoms of this country but God forbid theyd have to fight for it.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
AMEN!!! When I lived in Germany I found out they also have similar rules to Israel, they have to do some type of community service or military time. I imagine a whole change of attitude after they have done their time... too bad we don't still live there!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.