Thrift shopping....

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I love antique shopping! I have been looking for a wing back chair for almost a year now that I don't need to recover that doesn't cost a million dollars, like finding a needle in a haystack

GAH! I wish you lived closer! I saw 2 last weekend both under $200, but they definitely needed to be recovered...They aren't too difficult to recover though! I've done a few chairs and they don't take that long. Just make sure you have a staple gun ;)

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
GAH! I wish you lived closer! I saw 2 last weekend both under $200, but they definitely needed to be recovered...They aren't too difficult to recover though! I've done a few chairs and they don't take that long. Just make sure you have a staple gun ;)
Most of them around here go for about $350 and look awful! I did find some covers that go over the existing fabric but you still run the risk of smells and all that ickyness LOL

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Most of them around here go for about $350 and look awful! I did find some covers that go over the existing fabric but you still run the risk of smells and all that ickyness LOL

Eeek! I'm 100% with you on the smell from the old chairs hah! I took an upholstery class a couple of years ago at a JoAnn Fabrics and that worked out really well! They walk you through step by step on how to reupholster the chair. If you don't want to do that, there's tons of YouTube videos on how to do it too. It's easy, I promise :)

Word of advice though, don't buy the new foam from a fabric stores. They are WAY overpriced. You can get it for pretty cheap from either online (can you tell how much I love Amazon?!) or a place like Home Depot.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We hit thrift stores all the time mostly for knock arou d clothes and stuff. When we lived on the east coast we used to hit the ones on Hilton Head Island and you could get some awesome stuff. I got my first 2 Armani suits from one store there for $25 each and my wife got a few Dior dresses for around $100 or so. The total cost at that time if the stuff would have been bought new would have been well over $5000 but we paid only $125 or $150. You never know what you will find so to me it is always worth looking and I still have the suits today.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have a gorgeous dining room set that was given to me that dates around the 70's. It has a triple hutch and seats 10 around the table and quality that you would pay through the nose for today. The chairs that came with it had caning and some had holes. I priced having the chairs redone. well it was going to be $1,000 and up for six chairs. I just covered the backs of the chairs(which I hated) but it go me through until I walked into one of my favorite consignment shops and there sat six beautiful chairs in perfect condition. They truly just needed a washing and I only paid $164 for all six. I love consignment/thrift stores. BTW your clothes are fantastic.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
WOW! Great finds! I love the top with the flower on it!

I might have to make a trip...I'm at a crossroads with my wardrobe.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Great finds! I work for two women that area always shopping the thrift stores for work clothes and one is an equity shareholder attorney at the firm I work for. I'm amazed each time she wears a new items that costs only a few bucks. But these two shop regularly so they're always scoring great stuff. Wish I had that kind of commitment too, but I hate to shop for clothes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.