The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I thought it might be fun to see who plays a musical instruments and what they play.

I will start it off. I grew up playing the drums and played in several local bands. When I joined the Marines I continued to play the drums and played with some guys I was stationed with as well as a few local bands in San Diego. My roommate was a guitar player and I learned a little from him. After the Marines and I moved back to my hometown I played in more bands (drums) and we actually were playing all over Ohio. Once I got married I was burnt out and needed a break. We had 2 small children so the drums were a firm no go! I bought a guitar but was not very satisfied with it. I picked up the bass guitar and fell in love! I think it is a perfect mix of drums and guitar. I am not in a band at the moment but I just enjoy playing.

Now, what do you play?

OP
GunnyHighway

GunnyHighway

Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Re: Do You Plan An Instrument?

Oh, Jezzzz! I meant to put "play" NOT "plan" in the thread title. Sometimes I feel like such an idiot. :stupid:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

I used to play bass and drums. Was never in a band just did it because I loved to play. As time became scarce after the kids were born I gave up playing to dedicate my life and as much free time to their activities. My daughter just started play acoustic guitar so I might have to break out my old Gibson and strum a tune or two with her. lol

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

When I was in grade school I played the viola (like a violin but a little bigger). I didn't keep it up after grade school though!

OP
GunnyHighway

GunnyHighway

Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway

I used to play bass and drums. Was never in a band just did it because I loved to play. As time became scarce after the kids were born I gave up playing to dedicate my life and as much free time to their activities. My daughter just started play acoustic guitar so I might have to break out my old Gibson and strum a tune or two with her. lol

Seems like we have a lot in common, Todd. With working and coaching I have limited time but I squeeze it in here and there when I can.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco

It's one of those things I never got into but wanted to. When I was in elementay school, (I think it was 4th or 5th grade, maybe even earlier) we had some sort of test to see who could hear the different notes and sounds that were very subtle. Those who passed were invited to join the band and learn an instrument. I wanted to play te saxophone so bad! Unfortunately, I did not fare as well as others and some friends did and they were in the band and I was so jealous! lol. These days I sometimes think about how cool it would be to play guitar but I cannot see myself being able to make the time to even learn. You guys that do play are very lucky!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

I played drums (for fun) on my ex Hubby's set of Pearl drums.

Would love to play guitar, not sure if fingers would cooperate now.

Arthritis...I was thinking about this the other day...maybe lessons?

Put son in guitar lessons when he was 13/14 but he wasn't that interested.

I LOVE music of all types, think that's one reason I was such a clubber (well,
excess energy too) to listen to music and dance all night :)

Great question!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

I played the flute from 3rd grade through up through my first year of High School. I also played the piccolo. I was #2 in my seat on the flute and #1 on the piccolo. I didn't really care for the marching band nor the orchestra so I basically gave it up. I used to pick it up and play often so I wouldn't forgot how to play it and then I quit doing that. Don't think I can play a note now. But I still have my original flute. :up:

I love the piano and always wished I had one. I used to play my grandma's but it was self-taught only.

I fixed the title too. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I learned to play the violin in grade school but quit my violinist career at age 9yo!

then in adulthood, i went to the local community college to take piano lessons. I was obsessed with it and loved playing and even bought my own (used) piano. Since then however, i haven't practiced or played much, piano is at my brother's house b/c i don't have room for it in my house. One day tho, i will take it up again.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Yes-according to my husband i can play quite well on his nerves ;-)

On a serious note i always wanted to play piano-its in my bucket list

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I thought it might be fun to see who plays a musical instruments and what they play.

Hey Jeff...weird thing happened after I posted to your thread. Listening to radio
and Foreigner's 'Urgent' came on...one of my favs to drum along to, now when
is the last time you heard that song on regular radio (rarely even listen to radio).

Just thought it was cool as I'd just posted then heard it. :)

OP
GunnyHighway

GunnyHighway

Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway

Hey Jeff...weird thing happened after I posted to your thread. Listening to radio
and Foreigner's 'Urgent' came on...one of my favs to drum along to, now when
is the last time you heard that song on regular radio (rarely even listen to radio).

Just thought it was cool as I'd just posted then heard it. :)

I love it when stuff like that happens! That is so cool!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I play the harmonica; being active duty for 22 years made it hard to play and travel with any other instruments but the harmonica was always in my pocket. Its a cool instrument that you can play at any given time either with or without others. I have several of them.

OP
GunnyHighway

GunnyHighway

Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I play the harmonica; being active duty for 22 years made it hard to play and travel with any other instruments but the harmonica was always in my pocket. Its a cool instrument that you can play at any given time either with or without others. I have several of them.

I always wanted to learn how to play the harmonica! I am very jealous!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I played the Violin for several years in school, but once I graduated I haven't touched in since. I wanted to play the flute, but since I had braces back then my parents said no... LOL I have ALWAYS wanted to play the piano, and one of these days I will learn!!! My son played the euphonium, and saxophone in HS, and my daughter took piano (didn't like it... go figure!) and now she is playing the electric guitar.

Staff online

Members online