Toads, frogs... snakes OH MY!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well.... had our first SNAKE encounter last night... UGH!!!!

As some of you know, I also have a 2 year old French Bulldog named Chelios. He is cat like, if something moves he is ON it like a flash. We live on about an arce of land with about 1/4 of it still wooded with some marshland... that being said, we have lots of animal life in the yard at night... toads, frogs, bugs, bugs and more bugs, praying mantes, deer, etc, etc... nothing real dangerous - well, until last night!
Took Cheli out to go pee around 8:30-9:00, and I was focused looking for toads with the flashlight so he does not try to eat it; we have had to pull two out of his mouth this summer.... I turn to see where he is becasue he was not next to me, which he always is, and he is pawing at something on the patio. I go over with the flashlight and pull him back thinking I am going to be pulling a toad, spider or beetle out of his mouth (again) --- wrong--- SNAKE!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OMG!!

He has it in his mouth... it is hanging out of his mouth!!! I just start screaming and running with him - the thing falls to the ground - I then run like I am in some type of country ho-down dance thinking I have to keep my legs/feet up cause the snake was going to try and get up my legs..... 15 seconds of H E L L I tell you..... I am screaming for Lewis, he can't hear me cause he is in the office upstairs working.... I try the intercom, NOPE nothing hearing me, why - no intercom in the office.

I then put Cheli on the floor... in my head, not knowing which way to go, check Cheli for a bite, get Lewis so he can get the snake out of our yard... back to Cheli, start up the steps,, stop, look at Cheli. He is OK --- up the steps I go ! Yelling, Lewis or Babe the whole time!! He finally comes out of the office-- we go outside, another 10 mins of drama cause he can't pick it up - slimy , creepy snake .... finally he gets it and threw it in the woods.

I am still laughing my butt off...... by the way, Banks was just laying onthe couch during this whole ordeal. 9:30 is last potty before bed... she was like a mountain lion looking for her meal - Banks was very aware something went on outside and she wanted to know what she missed when she got out there. She found the spot where the snake was on the patio and would not stop sniffing/pawing the paver... the she found a frog!

:faint:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! What a night for you! geeeez, I hate hate hate snakes can deal with frogs but no way snakes. :no:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
When we lived in east Texas we were on a lot that my husband says was "alive with snakes." We had copperheads, water moccasins, and possibly some rattlers thrown in with the king snakes, etc. I HATE snakes--am deathly afraid of them. We had a little Jack Russell mix of my daughter's who was an excellent "snaker." We ALWAYS knew if there was a snake in the yard with Harley around. My biggest fear was exactly what you described. Only I would have run screaming from Harley if he had caught a snake. I imagined me running and the crazy dog chasing me with a snake. You are much more brave than me. :fie:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I HATE SNAKES!!! You should see my FB page, I JUST found a dead snake at the end of my driveway last week... :yell:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When we lived in east Texas we were on a lot that my husband says was "alive with snakes." We had copperheads, water moccasins, and possibly some rattlers thrown in with the king snakes, etc. I HATE snakes--am deathly afraid of them. We had a little Jack Russell mix of my daughter's who was an excellent "snaker." We ALWAYS knew if there was a snake in the yard with Harley around. My biggest fear was exactly what you described. Only I would have run screaming from Harley if he had caught a snake. I imagined me running and the crazy dog chasing me with a snake. You are much more brave than me. :fie:

BRAVE??? Heck no,,,,, I was just not thinking

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
LMAO..I can't stop laughing. Glad it was you and not me. Stinky likes bugs.The other night he caught a JUNE BUG..which I can't stand. You could hear it buzzing in his mouth. Gave me the willies

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LMAO..I can't stop laughing. Glad it was you and not me. Stinky likes bugs.The other night he caught a JUNE BUG..which I can't stand. You could hear it buzzing in his mouth. Gave me the willies

.... Cheli's nick-name is also Stinky.... Not to worry, Lewis and I were crying from laughing again tonight! He felt the need to relive the event. :rofl:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg what a story... Freaking me out!!!

I can picture you out there doing the ho down :yikes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can see how scary that would be. We went through an episode like that about 6 weeks ago with Harlea finding a Garter Snake on our patio. My wife freaked out... I was laughing... Harlea would look at us like What's up with the snake hanging out of her mouth. She is even funnier with frogs as she will pick them up and all you will see is the back legs sticking out of her mouth but she is not biting hard yet just enough to keep it in her mouth.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I can see how scary that would be. We went through an episode like that about 6 weeks ago with Harlea finding a Garter Snake on our patio. My wife freaked out... I was laughing... Harlea would look at us like What's up with the snake hanging out of her mouth. She is even funnier with frogs as she will pick them up and all you will see is the back legs sticking out of her mouth but she is not biting hard yet just enough to keep it in her mouth.
Eeewwwwwww! :scared:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Cheli does the same thing with the toads / frogs.... just holds it in his mouth. Spiders, bugs and other insects he and Banks just want to eat. The snake we know was totally harmless, but good lord they are so creepy

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.