bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Dumb question, if a couple is looking as if they are going to be splitting up, what the heck do you do about the dog situation, im by far a marriage counselor and dont know what advice to give...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH!!! The poor pup usually ends up in a rescue as one or both parties move to an apartment that does not allow pets. Sometimes, it does work out that one of the humans can keep the pup, but unfortunately the majority are re-homed via friends/family or resuce

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes they both do its like a battle over a child....

they mayhave to go to court.... is the pup registared with teh AKC? If yes, I think which ever name the pup is listed under will have 'rights'

OP
bella100

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
oh ill have to check on that and ask who she is registered to i know she is but not sure to one or the other or both.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
i've heard of people sharing custody, could be an option...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would think (and hope), that the couple would want the best for their pet and not put him/her thru re-homing! Perhaps the couple can work something out where one has permanent custody and the other has visitation on weekends? Of course, i've never been in a situation myself so i have no idea what goes thru people's minds when something like this happens.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is always a tough one, they will have to work out on their own, and maybe joint custody.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well I was in this situation 20 years ago when I divorced my kids dad. He owned an American/Canadian champion male Doberman, I owned an American champion female Dobie. They were our pets but we also bred them and made good $$. During the divorce we were fighting more over the dogs than we were the kids (that was already settled) I had moved into an apt. and could not have dogs. We were kicked out of court once because we were fighting so hard over the dogs. Nitro and Nikia had been together for 5 years. The solution? It was court ordered that He had Nikia spayed so he could no longer profit off her, and I would go pick them up every weekend and take them to the park. So kind of like joint custody. I was 30 then and first time being alone with two small children. Now today would be different, if something happened in my marriage I would not even consider a place that didn't take dogs, Vegas is mine and he will go where I go.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
When my boy friend got me Stinky I made sure that it was my name that was on all the papers even the AKC papers. And we talked about if we should split up that I would take Stinky and he could visit him on the week-ends. And if something should happen to me, my sister would get him cause she is his God Mother.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Oddly enough, I know a couple that split up and they take turns alternate weeks with the dog. They bought him together and both love him. He gets alot of grief because they treat the divorce like they had a child lol, but I think it's a great idea. They live about a half hour away from each other though so I know that makes it easier to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When my boy friend got me Stinky I made sure that it was my name that was on all the papers even the AKC papers. And we talked about if we should split up that I would take Stinky and he could visit him on the week-ends. And if something should happen to me, my sister would get him cause she is his God Mother.

Good planning! We did similar- I got our first Bulldog as a gift to my b/f so they are all in his name and would stay with him if something were to happen to both of us they go to my sister who is their Godmomma:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online