Rookie Mom Question: Transitioning Baby to Crib

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I was hoping to draw on the experiences of any seasoned moms and dads on the board to see if they had any ideas for getting baby to sleep in the crib?

It's been six glorious weeks (:fie:) of sharing a room with my son, but I would like to have him in his own room now. He's not a terrible sleeper for coming up on six weeks - he knows the difference between day and night and will go right back to sleep after his nighttime feedings - but he hasn't done well in his crib.

Right now, he sleeps in a bassinet next to my bed and is still feeding every 2-3 hours. Our pediatrician says he should really start doing more time between feedings at night sometime soon and transitioning to the crib will probably help but, so far, it's been rough. I started by having him spend time in his crib, which he doesn't mind at all. Then I had him nap in there, which has been met with varying degrees of success. But at nighttime, he goes on high alert and cries when I put him down - even if he's just about sound alseep.

Any suggestions for helping baby transition to the crib for a momma who is not a big fan of the "cry it out" method? Is it too early for him? Any advice is appreciated!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh girl. I feel for you. My boyfriend helped me through the "crying it out" phase with my daughter. He sat with me while I cried in the living room (whilst my daughter cried in her crib). It was awful....sadly, probably more awful for me! LOL My second daughter was a big fan of the light/soft music type toys that you can hang over the crib. Sometimes I had to restart them a few times but eventually she would drift off to sleep. :)

It seems like just yesterday but my "baby" is 4 1/2 years now!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
From EBN....The crib toy/show/nightlight... Was my lifesaver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My sister used a device that simulated a heart beat... Not sure if they still make them, but it worked for her second baby

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
we kinda did cry it out but as the others said it was easier prob for him than me! I did exactly as you started with a little time in the crib, then naps in the crib then sleeping in the crib. Just keep it up, I would go back in there after I couldn't handle the crying and rub his back standing at the crib, not picking him up, just lightly rubbing his back lights off no talking...eventually it'll get better it does just take time and routine! Don't give up! They grow to fast and soon you'll wish you could have those sleepless nights just to snuggle with a little baby again! I know I do!! Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
we kinda did cry it out but as the others said it was easier prob for him than me! I did exactly as you started with a little time in the crib, then naps in the crib then sleeping in the crib. Just keep it up, I would go back in there after I couldn't handle the crying and rub his back standing at the crib, not picking him up, just lightly rubbing his back lights off no talking...eventually it'll get better it does just take time and routine! Don't give up! They grow to fast and soon you'll wish you could have those sleepless nights just to snuggle with a little baby again! I know I do!! Good luck!

:goodpost:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
From EBN....The crib toy/show/nightlight... Was my lifesaver...

He LOVES it...I will take a video of him watching it for you guys. He is captivated. He will lay in his crib and watch that for 30 minutes...then cry! :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would go through the batteries.... and don't run out! I made that mistake before :yikes:
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use the aquarium night show crib toy thing for both my kids, and now my grandson. He's 2 and he STILL loves it!!! I agree w/the above advice, just keep checking in on him, rubbing his back... but try NOT to pick him up. Hopefully he will get used to in no time, and Mom can get some Zzzz

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online