ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Yesterday started dark and early with a 6:30 am drive to a local hospital to board a bus bound for Chicago. We made two stops to pick up more folks and headed to the Windy City for a day of shopping--about 120 or more people (2 bus loads). :coffee:

This trip is organized by a local charity that helps academically-at-risk students. The organizers do a great job of putting this trip together every year. They play bus bingo (everyone gets 5 random playing cards and the announcer goes through a deck of cards--you get a "bingo" when all 5 of your cards are called) and award prizes. They serve donuts and make a rest stop just over the Indiana state line. :jumpdance:

The shopping was amazing! I got two Liz Claiborne blazers for $49, a very expensive pair of shoes for $40 and other super bargains in Chicago. A friend and I were on the prowl for sales and were well-rewarded for our efforts! :starwars: the Force was definitely with us!

The trip "ended" with a trip to a dinner theater. We had a wonderful dinner--Asiago stuffed chicken with wine! Yummy! There was a leak in the roof so they gave us complimentary champagne. :cheers:

The play was interesting. "Next to Normal" is a musical about (wait for it) bi-polar disorder. :wtf: it won A Pulitzer Prize and 4 Tony's. The actors did a magnificent job, but I still don't get it. I was dismayed to see so many CHILDREN in the audience. :hmm: It was very depressing and dark with a lot of adult humor and language in the lyrics. Don't parents do their research before including children in their outings? This is not a happy-ever-after musical! Anyhow . . .

So we left the theater, started walking to the bus and saw flashing lights--the cops. :police: Apparently, someone who may or may not have been drinking lost control of their car (in this Indy500 parking lot?) and crashed into the other bus. How do you hit a bus? :confused: We got a front-row seat to the ambulance and fire truck arriving and the drama that played out--a fun end to Chicago, though it was going to delay our drive home.

We finally left and were treated to a video, "Confessions of a Shopaholic" :blush: on the way home. A woman across the aisle from me was sleeping soundly until we pulled into the Indiana rest stop at about 11:30 pm when she woke up, leaned over, and puked in the aisle. :sick:

And a good time was had by all. I need to go clean my shoes. :sick: And yes, I am going again next year. For $100 it was a great adventure!

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Wow! That certainly was an adventure, Chris! I love Chicago...lots of fun sights, the food, people watching. I think that lady owes you a new pair of shoes though! :yes4:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy crap what a day!!! Great wins on the shopping too!

I love Chicago, my b/f is born/raised there so we go out a lot for visits..always a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sounds like a hoot of a time! I think I would've thrown away the shoes though, I would throw up just looking at other people's throw up! :puke:

And Chicago ... my bf and I were supposed to drive there one year ... but instead we got a bulldog ... named Stig!

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Love Chicago, when I lived in MI my friends and I would take the train to Chicago, spend the night and catch the train back the next day!! Always fun times, and for some reason riding the train is nice and relaxing, we had great conversations, and didn't have to worry about getting lost!! Although our very first time was our senior yr in high school and we got taken by some guy that was (shoe shining) he saw us taking pics could tell we were tourist and yep we were in a big city and naive!! Needless to say our shoes soaped up when we got caught in the rain!! They smelled like hand soap and i'm fairly certain it was! we were scared not to pay him after so we each coughed up 15bucks!! LOL, all well great memories and good laughs!! We also went to a taping of the Jenny Jones show that trip too!! We wanted Jerry springer but couldn't get tickets! It was cool anyhow!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online