Wheeeeew, Dodged another Bullet !!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Seems like since 2005, and after Hurricane Katrina, we in Louisiana have been on the Naughty list. Living in Louisiana from 1976 to present, Until 2005, we really never knew what a hurricane really could be like. I mean everyone has their catastrophes, From Wild Fires, Blizzards, Earthquakes, Tornadoes, to Tsunamis right?
The Hurricane to us is a double edged sword….. If the wind doesn't get you, the water will. Hurricane Camille came into Mississippi Gulf coast, The year I was born. The winds tilting the anemometer at roughly 200 mph. The same speed roughly as a tornado, with a 29 mile wide cone! We in New Orleans didn't get the winds, but the counter clockwise rotation of the storm pushed all the water up into the lake, and low lying areas, Flooding much of the area, and when I say flooding, its not ankle deep flooding, it's more like 13 feet of water rushing through your home flooding[FONT=arial, sans-serif]….. The only survivors to this is usually aquarium fish.
Tropical storm Karen formed in the gulf, and we've been watching it closely, because it was set to brush the mouth of the Mississippi River in its path to strike in Mobile AL area. It was forecast by meteorologist, that Karen was pushing a 14' wall of water out in front of the storm, Known as Storm Surge. No matter that the storm was set to strike Mobile, The counter clockwise rotation of storm sure was to push 14 feet of water up into Lake Pontchartrain. This is a picture of my backyard,

[/FONT] IMG_0047.JPG

Which is directly on Lake Pontchartrain. No matter whether the winds are 45 mph, or 200 mph, the wall of water which pushes ahead of the storm, by the wind, still comes in like a tsunami. Anyway, The upper winds in the Gulf sheered off the top of the storm, causing it to blow apart. So far storm surge coming in has been about 3 foot. Katrina pushed in a 21 foot tsunami, which submerged our homes in 13 feet of water, So far with Karen, we've just suffered some over topping of the sea wall. From 1964 to 2005, we didn't know what a storm was really, in our area, and since 2005, we've been catching at least one a year. The winds really aren't bad, I basically compare the winds to that of the West coast Santa Ana winds, most of the time, although, tree branches rake the power lines, and we get the inconvenience of power outages, accompanied by very hard bands of rain, Usually until the winds die down, The power companies won't send, line men up to fix outages. Most of Louisiana, and Mississippi, is known as low-lying, or swamp areas, the same as my yard, knowing if I lived on the beach, it would be beachfront, either way, it's considered flood prone, because of tidal surge, and storm surge. The point to all this, was to explain the winds aren't necessarily the edge of a storm we worry about, the surge spreads out far the center, causing anything on the west side to be known as flood area, and anything on the north east corner of the Hurricane to be in the danger zone, prone to tornadoes, high winds, and rain from 2" to 20"s in an hour. Amazingly, The cold front, which recently visited Jeannie in Colorado, is pushing its way through our area now, and the cold air is pushing the tropical air out of our area, and thats what sheered off the head of this storm before it could turn bad. Awesome, how all this works, and how the snow front from Wyoming, Colorado thats been on our news, was the culprit in killing a killer storm before it could develop. At least we dodged this bullet for now, Definitely looking foreword to many more cold front sweeping through, to cool the Gulf of Mexico waters down, which feed these big hurricanes!! :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow, you guys sure do get your share of these floods and winds. It must be a constant worry that this could destroy your homes and property. Hope you dodge many more bullets, stay safe and dry. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So glad to hear it Dave... we LOVE going to the gulf in the Destin/Rosemary beach area. Absolutely beautiful :D

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Man oh man. Never knew people would wish for cold fronts like that! Stay safe there. Can't imagine going through what you've been through. I'm very thankful that I live in such a 'boring' city, weather wise. But with the bonkers weather we've been getting all over the world lately, not too sure it's going to stay uneventful for long. Small tornadoes are actually becoming the norm! Scary scary stuff!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:goodpost: Very interesting information, Dave, and a pretty clear meteorological explanation too. Glad the storm got dissipated by the cold front!

Your backyard is pretty cool, btw!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:whew: boy that was a close one I was on the edge of my seat! So glad it didn't continue on its path of destruction... Glad you're safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Very happy Dave that you dodge that storm. Looks like I gave our system a good kick in your direction for you. :) I would have been scared to death. Just glad you and the boys are safe. :buddies:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
dude... I know how you feel. Been through many hurricanes and tropical storms myself since we moved to Texas in 1976. Allison in 2001 was a pain when all of downtown was flooded under about 25 feet of water and that was only cause by a tropical storm dropping 39 inches of rain in less than 6 days causing all of the bayou's and creeks to blow their banks. However, Gulf Coast hurricanes have nothing compared to Western Pacific Typhoons. In 1997 I was in Guam when typhoon Paka hit and at Anderson Air Force base they recorded sustained winds of over 236 MPH and there were semi trucks resting in Tamuning Bay almost a half mile away from the nearest road. You could also see blades of grass and tree leaves embedded like daggers in the concrete walls of the buildings as just about anything and every thing that can be made out of concrete is on the island.

I do have a question for you though. You have a boat dock..... Where the heck is your boat? You are a true cajun living on the water without owning a boat... :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:whew: is right, living in southeastern PA we get our share of crazy storms and feel pieces of hurricanes, but what other areas go through ,,,,, yikes, just do not know how your nerves can take the pressure each season.

so glad you are all dry and safe

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
dude... I know how you feel. Been through many hurricanes and tropical storms myself since we moved to Texas in 1976. Allison in 2001 was a pain when all of downtown was flooded under about 25 feet of water and that was only cause by a tropical storm dropping 39 inches of rain in less than 6 days causing all of the bayou's and creeks to blow their banks. However, Gulf Coast hurricanes have nothing compared to Western Pacific Typhoons. In 1997 I was in Guam when typhoon Paka hit and at Anderson Air Force base they recorded sustained winds of over 236 MPH and there were semi trucks resting in Tamuning Bay almost a half mile away from the nearest road. You could also see blades of grass and tree leaves embedded like daggers in the concrete walls of the buildings as just about anything and every thing that can be made out of concrete is on the island.

I do have a question for you though. You have a boat dock..... Where the heck is your boat? You are a true cajun living on the water without owning a boat... :)
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], you know a Cajun isn't cajun unless he owns a boat…. I'm sorry I forgot to include the boat, It was out for service in that picture. She's named the "Nautti Kitty"
IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPG
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], That picture was taken from the 2nd floor balcony, but what my friends and family really enjoy is the Downstairs from the boat dock, Bar and TV lounge, also is a shower room etc, downstairs, so after cleaning fish etc, I never have to go into the house before cleaning up.
IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

At the front door, Left is the Twin Span, and to the Right is the Hwy 11 Bridge, both bridges connect Slidell to New Orleans, and immediately south of me as in 5 miles is the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The Twinn Span was destroyed during Katrina, and my First floor was completely submerged up to 2 feet of the 2nd floor, Thankfully the 3rd floor was dry. My boat is pretty tall, in the water, with plenty of freeboard for offshore action, so I can only lift it about a foot out of the water most days, before the T-Top, and Rocket Launchers are against the roof of the boat Shed, So when a storm comes in, I either have to anchor in the middle of the canal, or pull it out of the water.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Dave, I too, join everyone in relief that the Gulf is spared.

Your place is beautiful and that's some boat! You & Stallone Brothers
deserve to live the good life. I'm watching the original Rocky right now
in the 1st 'Rocky' movie...hadn't watched it in awhile. GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.