Miley Cyrus and the American condition

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I was appalled it was so vulgar to me. I guess that's what you have to do when you have no true talent and most of the acts today really don't.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
It's just sad. This girl was such a role model and so wholesome. Sex sells in this society, for her to stay relevant thats what she needs to do. Pimp herself out. Sadly though it seems these glorified hookers are what makes people focus. As for her performance. It wasn't even sexy she looked like a crack head trying to turn a trick just to get her next fix. One day when she's older she will wake up realize what she did and have to live with that shame not to mention those pictures of her butt looking like olddd chicken cutlets in that god awful plastic outfit

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
[MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] I was into the hard core scene many moons ago and my first son is named after Ian McKay from Minor Threat. Okay, not to be the devils advocate but here I go even though I agree with most of you. But why the all the focus on Miley and not Robin Thicke? Is it because we still live in a world that women have to act one way and men have free reign? A world that men can have tattoos and sleep around but women must save themselves until they are married? Hog wash!! Robin Thicke's mom had the audacity to say she was shocked that, "Miley rubbed her butt that close to Robin's face." has she not seen her son's Blurred Lines video on You Tube with naked, all the way naked, girls dancing around him doing the exact same thing that Miley mimicked during the stupid award show. This video that is available for our children to see but Miley is the wrong one not Robin, the male, who is the maker of the video Miley was recreating having women do ridiculous degrading things. What do we expect from Miley when this girl was raised around show biz, did America really think she would stay sweet and innocent, and that is assuming she ever was, which I doubt. All I am saying is we should be equally chastising Robin and Miley but not one word has been said about him. As a woman in my forties that has served her country and a well educated professional, I refuse to be put in a box that I am judged for wearing low cut shirts (which I do) and because I have tattoos (which I do and they are beautiful and big). What is that saying, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. That said, I think her performance on the awards and on her video wrecking Ball is disgusting. I have no desire to see her licking one more thing, for the love of pete, unless it is a frozen flag pole, lol.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@Kross225 I was into the hard core scene many moons ago and my first son is named after Ian McKay from Minor Threat. Okay, not to be the devils advocate but here I go even though I agree with most of you. But why the all the focus on Miley and not Robin Thicke? Is it because we still live in a world that women have to act one way and men have free reign? A world that men can have tattoos and sleep around but women must save themselves until they are married? Hog wash!! Robin Thicke's mom had the audacity to say she was shocked that, "Miley rubbed her butt that close to Robin's face." has she not seen her son's Blurred Lines video on You Tube with naked, all the way naked, girls dancing around him doing the exact same thing that Miley mimicked during the stupid award show. This video that is available for our children to see but Miley is the wrong one not Robin, the male, who is the maker of the video Miley was recreating having women do ridiculous degrading things. What do we expect from Miley when this girl was raised around show biz, did America really think she would stay sweet and innocent, and that is assuming she ever was, which I doubt. All I am saying is we should be equally chastising Robin and Miley but not one word has been said about him. As a woman in my forties that has served her country and a well educated professional, I refuse to be put in a box that I am judged for wearing low cut shirts (which I do) and because I have tattoos (which I do and they are beautiful and big). What is that saying, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. That said, I think her performance on the awards and on her video wrecking Ball is disgusting. I have no desire to see her licking one more thing, for the love of pete, unless it is a frozen flag pole, lol.
I agree it seems Robin Thicke has been portrayed as this "innocent bystander" bunch of garbage... isn't he married?!! I'm sure his wife was thrilled... LOL

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It's funny - I waited about a week after the VMAs before I decided to watch the video for myself (with no real previous opinion on the matter).

Two thoughts came to mind at the time: 1st - that she wasn't even twearking correctly, and 2nd that she's no different than Madonna was for my generation (I'm sure there are folks here old enough to remember Like a Virgin and the infamous Truth or Dare appearances on the VMAs).

What I think perhaps what has changed is our level of acceptance as a culture: that low-grade smut passes for programming on the multitude of cable channels coupled with the accessability provided by the internet where those that care can listen to "celebs" tweet about everything they do. We've always been a culture that idolized the rich and famous but now we know they're every waking minute without having to buy the tabloids at the supermarket.

Its just sad if a little girl really believes that: “I think the video is much more if people get past the point that I’m naked.”
when she's too young and naive to realize that machine is making use of her in any way they see fit and deludes her into thinking what she's doing is actually art.

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4676]thesspa[/MENTION] Hear!! hear!! Nicely said. I am from Madonna age group and I totally agree with you. This is nothing new but it is more accessible via the internet. But that is exactly my point as I stated above, America is so focused on Miley's performance on TV that they have no idea what their kids are seeing from Robin via you tube. Has anyone on here seen his video? I love that song but think about the lyrics, again talking about good girls, the hottest b**** in the room, domesticate you. Really domesticate? What century are we in? But no focus on him at all.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
[MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] I was into the hard core scene many moons ago and my first son is named after Ian McKay from Minor Threat. Okay, not to be the devils advocate but here I go even though I agree with most of you. But why the all the focus on Miley and not Robin Thicke? Is it because we still live in a world that women have to act one way and men have free reign? A world that men can have tattoos and sleep around but women must save themselves until they are married? Hog wash!! Robin Thicke's mom had the audacity to say she was shocked that, "Miley rubbed her butt that close to Robin's face." has she not seen her son's Blurred Lines video on You Tube with naked, all the way naked, girls dancing around him doing the exact same thing that Miley mimicked during the stupid award show. This video that is available for our children to see but Miley is the wrong one not Robin, the male, who is the maker of the video Miley was recreating having women do ridiculous degrading things. What do we expect from Miley when this girl was raised around show biz, did America really think she would stay sweet and innocent, and that is assuming she ever was, which I doubt. All I am saying is we should be equally chastising Robin and Miley but not one word has been said about him. As a woman in my forties that has served her country and a well educated professional, I refuse to be put in a box that I am judged for wearing low cut shirts (which I do) and because I have tattoos (which I do and they are beautiful and big). What is that saying, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. That said, I think her performance on the awards and on her video wrecking Ball is disgusting. I have no desire to see her licking one more thing, for the love of pete, unless it is a frozen flag pole, lol.

Short answer to why the double standard between men and women:

A key that can open any lock is a master key.

A lock that opens for any key is cheap garbage.

Just kidding. I just love that analogy.

No, in all seriousness you are right. Nobody is saying a word about robin thicke and his naked chick video. And it's not a fair standard at all.
My beef with Miley is that even though she's supposedly out of the Disney demographic, she is still targeting kids as her audience. Her video is a bunch of teenagers high on Molly's and talkin about coke. Now all the music I listened to as a kid (sheer terror, misfits, exploited, agnostic front, negative approach, you get the idea who am I kidding i still listen to them) had nothing but drugs sex and violence but it wasn't mainstream. Thus we loved it. Cause we weren't mainstream. We were not role models and neither were they and we knew it. I loved watching dee dee Ramone but I never wanted to be like him and that's what's happening with Miley. Her fans have grown with her and would hate to think they are growing like her.

Robin thicke is just another putz but his target audience is the same as Miley's. teenage girls. Boys don't listen to Miley or robin. Not the straight ones anyway.

And my bully was almost named after Paul from "Sheer terror"

Btw not to get off subject or out of line but the low cut shirt and tattoos thing was really hot. Just saying.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Please know that I am the genuine article former punk rock rebel. It wasn't just a fashion show for me. I'm all about doing what you feel is right and pissing off the squares but even in my mosh pit days would I want my baby sister thinking that Miley or robin thicke or snooki or dee Ramone o Johnny thunders were people to look up to. You can respect their accomplishments sure but if now at 31 if I heard my now 16 year old half sister say she wants to look like Miley or b with a guy like robin thicke then she's getting an intervention.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I have the punisher skull covering my entire upper body and the guy from evil dead tattooed on my arm and the misfits skull on my calve. Maybe I'm not the guy people would wanna see with their daughter either to be fair.

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] I feel much better about this topic now that the man is included. Thank you. And as you can tell there is nothing mainstream about me. BTW, in that scene there was all the straight edge bands. I think WE are all role models for children, whether we know them or not. Every time we do something in public, someone's child may be watching. But we as parents and role models have the capability to really affect the way our child reacts to this garbage. For example, my daughter has the unlucky straw to have a psych nurse as a mom. Words like "Inappropriate behavior" is common vocabulary by me and now my children. My friend took her to a demolition derby last night at our small Spokane fair. Well, I guess my daughter and her friend (both 11) were checking this lady out because of her outfit ( a sports bra and high waisted shorts :tongue:) and behavior. When the girls were looking, the lady lifted her sports bra and showed her breasts to her husband. The girls saw it all. And my beautiful, strong daughter told me early this am when I got back from the Seahawks game and went to kiss he goodnight, "Mom she did that in a public place at a family event. It was inappropriate." I was never so proud of her! So take that Miley, Robin and all those pukes that want to influence my daughter!! I don't want to get all Kumbaya on you, but together we can out influence any of them!!

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
If only Sargent Joe Friday was still alive....

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I agree, but I take offense to the disclaimer that you are not a Republican or a conservative. The American public has been told over and over again that we are something that we are not. A true Republican is against ANY governmental intervention in our lives--including censorship. And being a conservative has nothing to do with Christian principles, though that's not what the media would have you believe. Don't forget--it was Al Gore's Democrat wife who wanted ratings on music--an idea that had the music community up in arms. There are a few nut jobs in every party, but don't condemn us all. That's all I'll say about that.

I think what Miley Cyrus did was disgusting, but so very predictable, as you said. It wasn't just predictable for a Disney kid, but also for a network that wants to boost their ratings. I do love your comparison to a Clydesdale! Thanks for the laugh!!

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I agree, but I take offense to the disclaimer that you are not a Republican or a conservative. The American public has been told over and over again that we are something that we are not. A true Republican is against ANY governmental intervention in our lives--including censorship. And being a conservative has nothing to do with Christian principles, though that's not what the media would have you believe. Don't forget--it was Al Gore's Democrat wife who wanted ratings on music--an idea that had the music community up in arms. There are a few nut jobs in every party, but don't condemn us all. That's all I'll say about that.

I think what Miley Cyrus did was disgusting, but so very predictable, as you said. It wasn't just predictable for a Disney kid, but also for a network that wants to boost their ratings. I do love your comparison to a Clydesdale! Thanks for the laugh!!

Sorry Chris. You're right. Tipper gore did lead the campaign for censorship. I didn't mean to single out republicans (although I kinda did). I just wanted to establish that I wasn't one of those moral majority bible thumpers you see outside the planned parenthood who think rape cannot cause a pregnancy if you pray hard enough. I am an NRA member. I am an owner of the now infamous ar-15 and have republican views on immigration and gun control. But the fore mentioned moral majority has become the new face of the GOP lately. I.E. Michelle Bauchman.

Last edited:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Sorry Chris. You're right. Tipper gore did lead the campaign for censorship. I didn't mean to single out republicans (although I kinda did). I just wanted to establish that I wasn't one of those moral majority bible thumpers you see outside the planned parenthood who think rape cannot cause a pregnancy if you pray hard enough. I am an NRA member. I am an owner of the now infamous ar-15 and have republican views on immigration and gun control. But the fore mentioned moral majority has become the new face of the GOP lately. I.E. Michelle Bauchman.

I think the thumpers have hurt the party. I used to be VERY active in politics, but dropped out because they were hijacking us. There are extremists on both sides of the fence. Unfortunately when idiots like those at Westboro get involved, it makes the mainstream news--"Look how crazy those Republicans are!" I have gotten a little sensitive--sorry. I got in a huge argument with a "friend" of my daughter's last night about this same thing, so my feelings were kind of raw. :aaargh: I still love ya! :drawheart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.