Throwback Thursday!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
You know I often catch myself thinking back to my childhood memories - I was born in 1970 so I'm a child of the 80s best decade ever!
I often enjoyed roller skating and to this day I love it - but I never liked the rental skates always had to have my speed skates - looking forward to hitting the rink soon! haha great thread!

Riedell Wicked.jpg

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You know I often catch myself thinking back to my childhood memories - I was born in 1970 so I'm a child of the 80s best decade ever!
I often enjoyed roller skating and to this day I love it - but I never liked the rental skates always had to have my speed skates - looking forward to hitting the rink soon! haha great thread!

View attachment 55994

I am with you there. Junior High Friday nights at the skating rink wearing parachute pants with bandannas up and down both legs. Oh the memories.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My contribution for the week.

On this day in 1991 I was starting my 3rd day of total and complete Hell other wise known as Marine Corps Bootcamp at MCRD San Diego. Yes I am a Hollywood Marine for those Parris Island flat landers out there. By this time I was still in utter shock with everything going on around me and constantly thinking why in the world wold I do this to myself? This day is technically only the beginning of our 3rd full day as we didn't take our first step on to the sacred "yellow footprints" until around 1 am on the 24th even though we arrived at 6pm on the 23rd. The previous few days were spent being issued gear, uniforms and going through additional testing and medical/dental exams. Today we took our first steps out in front of everyone and we looked horrible. No one really knew what to do or what was expected of us and because of that we had the receiving Drill Instructors in our face non stop yelling and screaming and then we were introduced to the various sand pits "islands" scattered around the Depot. To say culture shock would be an understatement. This was a total world ended as you know it type of thing.

The Receiving DI's would take us out and begin teaching us basic formation and marching commands and parade us in front of platoons that were much further along or near graduation just to show them the new boots on the depot. I was ok with this humiliation at the start, but when they marched us by the Kilo Company platoon that was in 3rd Phase close to graduation that some of my high school buddies were in I just about lost it from embarrassment as I could see it in their eyes as we marched past that they were telling me you are screwed.

To make matters worse for those who have never been to or seen MCRD San Diego half of the base is literally within 100 to 200 yards of the only active run way at San Diego Airport "Lindbergh Field". All those planes taking off and landing all day and all night make you think that you can just hop the fence and get away from it all. Some tried and actually made it over the fence but were always brought back to either be kicked out or endure pain and punishment that would make you just want to crawl in a hole and die. Personally i did want out of there but there was only one way i was going to do it ant that was by graduating.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Graduation party dress.jpgMe going to my graduation party, May 1984!
Flower girl for my aunts wedding June 1971.jpg
Flower girl for my aunts wedding, June 1971

Me at 6 months.jpg
Me at 6 months, 1966

Attachments

• Cow girl 1992.jpg
    Cow girl 1992.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

View attachment 55994
OMG this made my day!!! :D I was born in '68, and we were always going to the skate rink every weekend!!! WOO HOO!!! :dancing:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] when you read in the paper "crazed teen shoots up school" this is the picture you think of...image.jpg

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
uja4e7ug.jpg

I know I'm a few min late for tbt, but that is me on the right at my pre school graduation lol. Sorry for the bad pic quality!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

View attachment 55994

Oh me too!!! The kids had a roller skate field trip for school and we ended up in urgent care! I wish we had one closer to us or had somewhere nearby to go to. I love it and miss that from my childhood. 30 years later I didn't do too awful, but it was awful trying to teach mine to do it. They had so much fun though! Well except the whole splitting the head open and hurting limbs part :D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I know, it's sad, isn't it? I precept pharmacy students and last Friday I asked them if they've ever heard of the rock groups Boston or Styx and they just looked at me blankly, shaking their heads "No". They were born in the late 80's! They didn't even know that the 1984 summer Olympics were held in LA!! :ohmy:
Henny, on Valentine's Day in 1978 (?) my husband and I flew from Abilene, TX to Dallas on a plane with Styx. They played guitars and sang the entire flight. It was awesome!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Henny, on Valentine's Day in 1978 (?) my husband and I flew from Abilene, TX to Dallas on a plane with Styx. They played guitars and sang the entire flight. It was awesome!

Were you in a private plane with them or was that a commercial flight? That's too cool! 1978 was the peak of their popularity too. Lucky you guys got a free concert!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.