Shocked!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I usually check my bank account online most days ... but for whatever reason I was so busy with work that I just never seemed to have the time over the weekend.

So, imagine my shock today, when I looked at my account and found two purchases that were not mine!!! :eek:

They were both made about the same time on Sunday morning, and after a bit of digging they are both software companies where you buy and download software programs. This could be legitimate or not ... I'm leaning towards not!!

So $110 has disappeared from my account. I called my bank and they have stopped my card, and I have to stop by as soon as possible to sign affadavits that these transactions were not mine. I was too shocked to ask if I would get the money back so I am hoping when I go in there tomorrow that the answer to that is yes!!

In the meantime, I have two checks out there which have yet to be cashed and there is not enough money to cover them. So they will make me overdrawn and so I'll get charged overdraft fee(s). Luckily, I have been told that these overdraft fees will also be refunded.

I know this happens to people all over the world and unfortunately far to regularly ......... and yet I am so shocked that it has happened to me. :*(

The card hasn't left my hand at all apart from one time on Saturday late afternoon when hubby and I stopped at a sports bar for appetizers and a beer. The waitress (who we had never seen before) took my card away when I paid. I hate to make accusations I can't prove ........and yet ..........:guns:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
This actually happend to me last Feb actually on Silvas b-day my bank called me and $1600 had been taken from my account. There were 5 different transactions from someone in Quebec. It happend to alot of people, someone put a chip in a debit machine and copied bank cards in Windsor. It was in the newspaper and everything. The cops had to come to my house and take my statement at Silvas birthday and boy were they blown away when we told them that the b-day party was for my dog! :lol: Anyways I got my money back but it did take about a week! It is an awful feeling, I hope things get figured out for you and get your money back very soon!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
thats why i hate giving my card to people at resturants, bars, etc when you cant see what they are doing while they swipe the card you never know what people will do. its so easy for those people to get all your info. we check our accounts once or twice daily!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow that is the worst feeling, such violation! We had some fraudulent charge on our checking account that I use mainly for online purchases. (rather than having to use cc) The charge was only for like 5 bucks and for some acai berry pill of some sort. At first I figured maybe my hubby ordered it? Nope, he looked it up and it turned out to be some scam where you buy the pills, or in this case someone purchased them, then you are locked into some subscription that they will then charge you another 60 bucks or so in the next 5 days or something. Lucky we caught it right away and my bank refunded me the 5 bucks which wasnt the issue so much as just blocking them from getting anymore money. The funniest thing about this was we really received the pills in the mail, threw them away of course. Now I check all checking activity at least 1 time a day.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I know the feeling! A couple years ago I went to deposit my paycheck and I was over a $1000 overdrawn!!! Took about a week or so to resolve but I got it all back. So it didn't end bad but it was quite as ordeal! Hope you get it all worked out soon!

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
My friend just got nailed for $1000.00 seems when her hubby stopped in at a pilot and used his card they got him pin number and made a fake card and then went a withdrew 500 each time.. the bank told them it would be 10 to 12 days before they would put the money back. they had to file police reports and everything. It happend the prior month and the month before that too to some guys he works with.. Our banks will credit the money back with in 24hrs and will not charge us over draft fees.... Im glad you cought it....

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well I went in yesterday and filled out some affidavits for the transactions and paid in a check ... however that check has all been eaten up in overdraft fees so I am currently sat here with no debit card and $9 left in my bank account - HOPING the bank will reverse the overdraft charges today!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my that is awful. I think I will start checking mine daily now!! :eek:

Once we got a charge called 'Cricket' and was missing the reciept. I thought nothing of it cuz it was about the price of a full tank of diesel (BACK THEN). Next month, another charge for 'cricket' about $50- missing reciept but forget to bring it up to hubby. Next month, another charge, $175!!!! Found out it was one of those pre-paid cell phone deals- and we could NOT get ahold of a human- my bank eventually reversed the charges, but it took a couple of months.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just found out today the hard way someone has stolen my debit card number and has tried to use it. Probably a restaurant. I went to the grocery store and my card was declined :eek: What I say?? (like everyone else) My husbands paycheck was just deposited yesterday! I come home call my bank, unfortunately it is Sat. and the bank is closed. They said someone was trying to use my number several times with out all the correct information so they put an "Alert" on it and canceled it. Thank god nothing is missing out of my account which I check everyday. BUT wouldn't you THINK the bank would have alerted ME??? I am waiting for the bank to open Mon. morning I will we first in line to find out Exactly what happened and WHY I was not informed. :guns: In the mean time I have to wait 7-10 working days as they are sending me a new card. My hubby had to go withdrawl cash for me so I would have some money this week I am PISSED at both, whoever tried to do this AND my bank for not alerting me!!!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I just found out today the hard way someone has stolen my debit card number and has tried to use it. Probably a restaurant. I went to the grocery store and my card was declined :eek: What I say?? (like everyone else) My husbands paycheck was just deposited yesterday! I come home call my bank, unfortunately it is Sat. and the bank is closed. They said someone was trying to use my number several times with out all the correct information so they put an "Alert" on it and canceled it. Thank god nothing is missing out of my account which I check everyday. BUT wouldn't you THINK the bank would have alerted ME??? I am waiting for the bank to open Mon. morning I will we first in line to find out Exactly what happened and WHY I was not informed. :guns: In the mean time I have to wait 7-10 working days as they are sending me a new card. My hubby had to go withdrawl cash for me so I would have some money this week I am PISSED at both, whoever tried to do this AND my bank for not alerting me!!!

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] .. Ouch .. I feel your pain :eek:

In some ways ... thank goodness that they realised that your card number was being used without the correct information, but YES they should have called you to let you know their suspicions and what they had done!!!

The transactions that happened on my account were early on Sunday morning ... we'd visited the restaurant/sports bar on saturday evening. The money disappeared out of my account, but when I had been in to sign the affadavits they actually credited them back within a couple of days. Now I am STILL waiting for my new debit card to arrive .. It will be three weeks on Monday. My branch of the bank I use is in Medina but I work so much in Strongsville that I use that branch more, so I went in on Thursday to withdraw cash (SUCH a pain in the A*&E!!!) and mentioned it hadn't arrived yet. They said the Medina branch had forgotton to order one ............... JUST GREAT!!!! :angry: :guns:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], I don't even know how restaurants can do this? I am too stupid to be a theif!! (and believe in Karma) I WORK as a bartender and get many cards. I have NEVER even thought about it nor could I because I would not know how. It is unfortunate that it is a Sat. I have MANY questions!! I WILL be there Mon. morning.
p.s. You know I am originally from near Mansfield OH, Shelby home of 10,000 all farmers as we were. I moved to Fl. 9 yrs. ago. I never visited but I have been through Medina and Stronsgsville, wasen't there a famous baseball pitcher from there? This sucks and it is the first time it has ever happened to me. I am still more mad at the bank for not alerting me,....No at least nothing is missing from my account!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
i doubt the restaurant itself had anything to do with it. It might have been the waitress though.
I'd have never thought of them doing something like that though. We always use our card at dinner when we eat out. Never have even given it a second thought. I will in the future though.

I'm an Ohio girl originally too. I've only been in Wisconsin since 2002. I was born in Findlay, lived part of my childhood in Brunswick, then Columbus, then back to the Findlay area until I moved here. Most of my family is in the Findlay area, except a couple brothers who live in West Liberty and Springfield, and one of my granddaughters lives in Youngstown.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
i doubt the restaurant itself had anything to do with it. It might have been the waitress though.
I'd have never thought of them doing something like that though. We always use our card at dinner when we eat out. Never have even given it a second thought. I will in the future though.

I'm an Ohio girl originally too. I've only been in Wisconsin since 2002. I was born in Findlay, lived part of my childhood in Brunswick, then Columbus, then back to the Findlay area until I moved here. Most of my family is in the Findlay area, except a couple brothers who live in West Liberty and Springfield, and one of my granddaughters lives in Youngstown.

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] I teach exercise classes at Brunswick Rec!

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] It would have been the waitress .. the same as what happened to me. They have a device now where they just slide the card through it and it takes all the details of the card off it ... it would take seconds to do!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.