OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hi Carol:

A lot of the channels, I like for various different reasons. I like netflix for their movies/tv shows, and it has no commercials, but the selection of movies/tv shows on netflix are limited. It really varies from month to month, I'd have to say.

Overall, i like the interface better on the roku than say, AppleTV. The only thing Apple that i own in my household is an iphone. Other than that, my wife and I are pretty anti-apple.

There are certain streaming websites that have most cable TV shows up and running. Quality is not the best, but better than paying $30/month for HBO. If you'd like to know more, PM me, and ill be more than happy to point you towards the right direction.
Point me too! :)
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I honestly have been so busy I haven't watched that much on there. I now time Warner has a channel that you can subscribe to but you have to have their cable (like you do now) to get the channel which I believe would give you basically your Cable on demand. We use verizon so I would LOVE to see a channel for them. For movies etc i think it will be fabulous but I haven't found a way to watch our regular shows so much. (We watch a LOT of shows that our TiVo records for us) as for kids shows it is awesome as well. I will report back once I use it more too. ;)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I've had mine for years. Back before they even had an HD option! I love it, and check out new apps regularly but the most used is netflix for sure.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Carol:

A lot of the channels, I like for various different reasons. I like netflix for their movies/tv shows, and it has no commercials, but the selection of movies/tv shows on netflix are limited. It really varies from month to month, I'd have to say.

Overall, i like the interface better on the roku than say, AppleTV. The only thing Apple that i own in my household is an iphone. Other than that, my wife and I are pretty anti-apple.

There are certain streaming websites that have most cable TV shows up and running. Quality is not the best, but better than paying $30/month for HBO. If you'd like to know more, PM me, and ill be more than happy to point you towards the right direction.

Point me too! :)
@Texas Carol I honestly have been so busy I haven't watched that much on there. I now time Warner has a channel that you can subscribe to but you have to have their cable (like you do now) to get the channel which I believe would give you basically your Cable on demand. We use verizon so I would LOVE to see a channel for them. For movies etc i think it will be fabulous but I haven't found a way to watch our regular shows so much. (We watch a LOT of shows that our TiVo records for us) as for kids shows it is awesome as well. I will report back once I use it more too. ;)

Can you use this with Direct TV?
I've never heard of it.....shocking..I know! :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Speaking of Netflix, anyone watching or watched Hemlock Grove? We just started and its pretty out there. I must say it has one if the most realistic scenes I've ever seen of a _____ turning into a ______ that I've ever seen! Won't say because of spoilers!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Speaking of Netflix, anyone watching or watched Hemlock Grove? We just started and its pretty out there. I must say it has one if the most realistic scenes I've ever seen of a _____ turning into a ______ that I've ever seen! Won't say because of spoilers!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

yeah we watched the whole season in days, i really liked it! lots of twists. the mother is my fav.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] it works along side of your Cable/satellite service. Cnnects to wifi so runs separately straight to your tv.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
S I just got my bday gift, a new roku! I only heard of one cuz I have a friend who loves theirs. It is like an online channel thingy for tv. Well, probably not the best description... You can watch Netflix thru it, amazon movies, it has podcasts, music, exercise channels, Disney, all kinds of things.i am still learning what all it does. Anyone here use a roku and what r your favorite channels?

I love Roku! It turns any TV into a smart TV...my favorite channels are Amazon, Netflix, Blockbuster and I just tried Redbox last night. Theyre adding so many channels now I try one or two new ones a night..most of them are a waste but there are also a lot of interesting ones on there! I am a Roku addict right now.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Never heard of this ... but I don't watch too much TV ..... :mellow:

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
i've heard of it but don't know how it works? Could you essentially nix the cable and just use this? And for instance the nextflix, hulu and such don't you have to still pay for those so won't it add up to a substantial monthly payment anyhow?

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
i've heard of it but don't know how it works? Could you essentially nix the cable and just use this? And for instance the nextflix, hulu and such don't you have to still pay for those so won't it add up to a substantial monthly payment anyhow?
yes you could nix the cable but you wont get basic channels..and youre right.you do have to subscribe to Netflix/blockbuster/amazonprime/Hulu, etc. to get their channels. some are free though. I love it but I couldn't see just having roku without some kind of basic cable service..although it would work without it.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Well the streaming only option for netflix is only 9 dollars a month. In my opinion it has the best movie and tv options, I checked out amazon but wasnt impressed but never looked into hulu. The problem with no cable at all for my house would be no dvr, meaning having to be home to watch the network prime time shows when they actually air or #gasp# not seeing them at all!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well the streaming only option for netflix is only 9 dollars a month. In my opinion it has the best movie and tv options, I checked out amazon but wasnt impressed but never looked into hulu. The problem with no cable at all for my house would be no dvr, meaning having to be home to watch the network prime time shows when they actually air or #gasp# not seeing them at all!

Since I'm home (Yuck!) all the time, isn't a problem for me.

It's great knowing there's more options now :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox

what....no one has a vcr these days??? :eek:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.