ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This child leaving is going to be the worst, because she is the baby :cry: We are super proud of her accomplishments, but it will still be tough!
Oh I can't imagine... we will be here for you :hug2:Maybe time for another dog? A bully?!! LOL

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Have your son fill out the FARSA anyway... I just found out today that if he qualifies you would get a reimbursement for any tuition that you have already paid. Plus he can always apply for scholarships for the next year... Good Luck & I hope that everything works out for him :D

Oh we have. Still waiting to hear back from them. On a good note we just found out that his fire department is going to reimburse for his classes as long as he keeps a 3.0 gpa each semester which shouldn't be a problem so that is going to help a lot.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh we have. Still waiting to hear back from them. On a good note we just found out that his fire department is going to reimburse for his classes as long as he keeps a 3.0 gpa each semester which shouldn't be a problem so that is going to help a lot.
That's awesome... How is he handling going to college now? I feel bad for him...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That's awesome... How is he handling going to college now? I feel bad for him...

He has accepted it for the most part. Yesterday was pretty rough as that was when he was supposed to leave. He can't do orientation yet because his HS hasn't sent his transcripts over yet so we are going to be cutting it close for the last orientation at the end of the week.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He has accepted it for the most part. Yesterday was pretty rough as that was when he was supposed to leave. He can't do orientation yet because his HS hasn't sent his transcripts over yet so we are going to be cutting it close for the last orientation at the end of the week.
I'm sorry... :nope: Hopefully he will enjoy college, and unfortunately the life lesson that sometimes life pulls us in directions that we NEVER planned for. It took awhile for the HS transcripts to get to college, but you would think considering the circumstances they would put a rush on things!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Being that he will be studying something he loves I am sure he will enjoy it. The funny thing is his transcripts shouldn't take that long as the Community College he is attending is tied to the school district he just graduated from but they still say it could take up to 2 weeks. /facepalm

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene Being that he will be studying something he loves I am sure he will enjoy it. The funny thing is his transcripts shouldn't take that long as the Community College he is attending is tied to the school district he just graduated from but they still say it could take up to 2 weeks. /facepalm
WTH?!! That is ridiculous... My son went to a private school an hour away, and they were able to send them within that timeframe... :blink:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] I have the best, I mean the BEST student advisor at college. Jaime, my advisor, calls the parents you were referring to in your post "helicopter mom's". Kids can't even wipe their butts without their parents present. Give me a break!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Well, as a professor at a university, it's good you are acknowledging your child is now an adult...because I can't tell you how many freshman have parents that try to intervene on their behalf when things don't go "right" in a class. A federal act (FERPA) actually forbids us from even acknowledging a student is in our class to anyone, even their parents. Under FERPA, no matter the age, the student is an adult with privacy rights.

That said, the longer I teach, the younger the freshman look! Babies! :)

You are so right! I am amazed at the number of helicopter parents I see! I also have students ask their employers to call me to get them the clinical assignment they want!

Members online

No members online now.