Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just finished watching a TV show that we get every Sunday afternoon here in Canada, it's called Market Place. I don't know if get this show in the USA? Every week they go undercover and expose crooked businesses, and let the public know when they're getting ripped off, or they reveal unsavoury business people or practices. Today's show was about Hotel rooms and cleanliness, or in this case the lack of it. They checked into different well known hotels, for two nights at each one, and installed hidden cameras, the cameras showed housekeeping staff cleaning the toilet with a toilet brush, and then cleaning the sick and faucet with the same toilet brush Another hotel, they showed a maid wiping the toilet seat, and then wiping the counter with the same cloth. Yuck. They brought in a biological chemist who used a black light, on many of the surfaces such as the bedding, the bedspreads, pillows, the coffee maker, the bedside light, and the walls. They found clipped nails in the bedspread, They found urine stains on the wall, the coffee maker was covered in what they called "organic" material? The light switch on the bedside table also had the same results. Many other surfaces also showed to have stains and dirt on them. On the surface the room looked clean and tidy. The chemist had a germ meter which measured the amount of bacteria on the various surfaces. A reading under 300 was a pass or acceptable, a reading between 300 and 1000 was a caution, and anything over a reading of 1000 was a fail. Many of the surfaces fell in the over 300 to 1000 range of use caution, but a lot especially from the bathroom, sinks and toilets were reading 31,000, 41,000, and sometimes even higher amounts of bacteria. These bacterias can make unsuspecting people sick, it can cause sexually transmitted diseases, and a whole host of other diseases. What was really scary was that at every hotel they tested , whether they were high priced, well known hotels, or a cheaper hotel chain, or motel, they tested for two dangerous bacteria MRSA, and C-Difficile. The chemist brought samples from different surfaces in the hotels and brought them to the lab and tested them for these bacterias. The results showed that every hotel had positive results for both the MRSA and C-Difficile bacteria, especially in there bathrooms, on the toilets and the sinks, where we touch the faucets and brush our teeth. So you stay in these rooms, and then go home and get sick, and have no idea where you contracted it from.

This makes me seriously rethink not liking camping, and staying in the comfort of these so called clean hotels. Maybe a tent and sleeping bag in the woods are a safer place to sleep.

0 Comment(s)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Big YUCKO...thank you, Monica, for bringing this to our attention.

Researching this weekend on the MRSA problem and came up with this...

Black Seed...an ancient remedy for everything but death, lol

Google Nigella Sativa Seeds, the official name of the flowering plant the
black seeds come from. They kill MRSA!!! And lots of other bad stuff.

It's anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti everything...I'm buying this and taking it!

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Eww! Now I need to go home and clean! My very first job was housekeeping, I can't imagine cleaning a sink with a toilet brush :barf: The one thing I've always done is never use their comforters on the beds, they don't clean those like the sheets and I don't even know when they change or clean them. I'm all for camping, cheaper anyways :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh Yuk, makes you feel like :barf: and to think I will be staying in hotels soon you have got me thinking now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:blink: that's just awful!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... you kind of know this stuff happens, but alwasy wished it still would not be true

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Oh my. Thanks for posting about this. I can't say I've heard of this type of tv show here in the states. I'm glad I haven't eatin lunch yet cause I would've thrown it up after reading that. Who in their right mind would be sick enough to clean a toilet bowl with a brush and then use that same brush anywhere else? Really? Are you pissed about your job? WOw.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah, it's pretty disgusting, some of the excuses they used was there isn't enough time to clean the rooms properly, one maid said they have 20 or 30 rooms to clean a day, and they are only given 1/2 an hour to clean it.

I think the next time I have to stay in a hotel, I'll be bringing my own pillow, sheets, taking off the bedspread, and I'll bring Clorox wipes or some other antibacterial wipe to wipe down the toilet seat and the bathroom sink. The rest of the room such as the light switches and other surfaces you just have to use regular hand washing and anti bacterial sanitizer gels to be safe.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have some friends who always totally strip the hotel bed and put on their own mattress cover, sheets, blankets and of course have their own pillows and towels. They've done that for the 20 years I've known them. I used to think they were crazy, now I'd say smart! I travel with my own pillow because I LOVE MY PILLOW!!!

On the other side, I guess that's why we have immune systems!

Members online