The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The next few days are going to be tough around here. As you may or may not know our son was supposed to be leaving for the Navy on Monday but sadly his dream abruptly came to an end a few weeks ago as a previously undiagnosed medical condition was identified that disqualified him from service for now until it can be treated, but with the draw down taking place chances are almost zero that he will ever be able to serve. It was his dream to serve and it has been hard on him, but we are moving forward as he is going to begin pursuing his Paramedic degree in the fall term. It's not like it is a horrible ending as both routes he has chosen are excellent choices but it still sucks to see your kids dream shattered and the obvious hurt in their eyes.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh Todd, I'm really sorry to hear that about your son. That is pretty devastating when you're set on a certain plan for your life and then those plans get shattered. But, the world will be gaining an awesome paramedic, I'm sure! I wish your boy good health and a full recovery.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Oh Todd, I'm really sorry to hear that about your son. That is pretty devastating when you're set on a certain plan for your life and then those plans get shattered. But, the world will be gaining an awesome paramedic, I'm sure! I wish your boy good health and a full recovery.

Thank you. He is going to be a great Paramedic as he has be a volunteer EMT for the past year and he loves it. My wife and I found his choice really odd at first being that our son is a no BS kind of guy and can't stand being around less honest or in some cases stupid people yet he loves to help them. He is strong will and will persevere so we will see where the winds of change take him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry to hear that. That's a great profession to get in to. Hopefully all goes well.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
EMT is an honorable profession and is to be appreciated. Congrats on his career choice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Todd I'm so sorry to hear about your son... and I agree w/everyone else on here, being an EMT is an honorable profession! Please let him know that we are grateful that he even wanted to serve this country, so he's a HERO in our eyes!!! ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's comments, EMT is a great and honourable profession, and one to be proud of. It does suck when we have to watch our kids hurt, when they hurt, we hurt. We as parents just want them to be happy. I'm sorry his dreams of the Navy didn't work out, but because of his applying, he found an undiagnosed medical condition, that he can now get treated. He may not be able to pursue his first dream or love, but he can still pursue his second career choice and he seems to like being a volunteer EMT. They say things happen for a reason, and I'm sure everything will work out for him. Most important of all is his health. I wish your son all the best in his future endeavours, I'm sure he'll be a great paramedic. Sending hugs, love and prayers your way that everything works out. Keep us posted on how he's doing. Love to hear about the skin kids too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry his dream is not to be and I do hope the medical issue is nothing serious. Best of luck to him in his schooling, I am sure he will do very well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's very hard to see your "kids" be so disappointed. The important thing here is he can hold his head up high. His disappointment is NOT because of any mistake or failure. It's totally beyond his control. Now he can control his "meant to be" future. He will still be "serving"...and touching lives every day. He should be very proud of himself. )

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Sorry to hear he has had an unexpected turn w his first choice for career...he will make a great paramedic and it s a wonderful field. I'm sure he knows you and your wife are so very proud of him regardless of what career path he has ended up with. I hope whatever medical situation that had occurred is taken care of and all ends up well.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
that sucks big time. I'm really sorry to read about the illness with your son and now his total disappointment that he can't serve our country. I know it sounds so Polly-anna, but I believe everything happens for a reason. Something better is in his future, I just hope he can see it when the opportunity comes knocking. He sounds like a really cool guy!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement. We are very proud of our son for the womderful young man he has become and wish him nothing but the best as his new chapter begin. He is strong willed and will over come this minor set back and continue to move forward.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh I am so sorry that he has to face this disappointment. I remember my son going off to the Navy - it was the biggest day of his life- he was so excited- so I can't imagine your son's devistation at this news. The fact that he was willing to serve, gives testament to the kind of person he is - a great young man who will no doubt succeed as a paramedic and move forward to do great things. Tell him thankyou from me. As far as I am concerned, he is still going to serve, with the career he has chosen. Best wishes to him. He will get past this-but it may take a little time.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im so sorry to hear that ;-( but even tho your son cannot serve his country he still can save lives (it was my dream to join the army but sadly i cant as just as your son im thinking about paramedic course-not only it will give him something to focus on (even tho he cant do what he loce) but also he can save lives ,do a lot of good for the community
Keep strong x

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with everyone's comments, EMT is a great and honourable profession, and one to be proud of. It does suck when we have to watch our kids hurt, when they hurt, we hurt. We as parents just want them to be happy. I'm sorry his dreams of the Navy didn't work out, but because of his applying, he found an undiagnosed medical condition, that he can now get treated. He may not be able to pursue his first dream or love, but he can still pursue his second career choice and he seems to like being a volunteer EMT. They say things happen for a reason, and I'm sure everything will work out for him. Most important of all is his health. I wish your son all the best in his future endeavours, I'm sure he'll be a great paramedic. Sending hugs, love and prayers your way that everything works out. Keep us posted on how he's doing. Love to hear about the skin kids too.

​My thoughts too...Todd, I will keep your son in prayer...it hurts us badly when they hurt. GOD bless all.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.