anyone ever put a wooden fence up?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
So many times my Virgoian ways get me into such messes.

This time, the I can do it better than anyone else mentality is kicking my butt.
Our neighbor is too poor to replace his side of the fence that fell down last summer when we were hit with a horrible storm (not Sandy) and we MUST have the fence back up so we can let Tank run around the back yard with freedom and safety.

I've watched video after video about how to do this but wanted to ask for any advice here before I tackle this beast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is NOT, NOT easy. I watched people do it and unless you have done it.... WOW, it is a beeeeotch

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We hired someone to install ours... The only thing I had to do was try to stain the damn thing, and all I did was get stain all over ME!!! Stupid pressure stainer... :cursing:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We hired someone to do ours too. Good luck! it looked like a PITA to do when watching the pros do it

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It is easy if you have the right tools and enough people to help you do it. If you have to dig new post hole I strongly suggest renting a post hole drill to save your back, hands and a whole lot of time. Other than that a good line level, post level, and other materials are all you need. If you are putting up a rot board at the bottom be sure to bevel the top edge about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep at a 45 degree angle water will run off. Same goes for a top cap if you are using one. Bevel both sides. We usually wind up doing 3 to 5 fences a year so we normally just get everyone together for a building party and BBQ and knock it out in a day.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
My husband and son in law put a fence up at there place and also double paled ours it looked easy to me but I was just sitting and watching but I have to admit they sure did do a lot of :cursing: and :bitching:. maybe get the professional's to do it sounds easier.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My husband and son in law put a fence up at there place and also double paled ours it looked easy to me but I was just sitting and watching but I have to admit they sure did do a lot of :cursing: and :bitching:. maybe get the professional's to do it sounds easier.

I'm cracking up... That sounds like my husband doing a home project... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I'm cracking up... That sounds like my husband doing a home project... Lol

When my husband does something at home it causes an argument because he just does not take the time to do it properly in his eyes close enough is good enough :shout: but I like it done right the first time, many years ago we decided to put the dryer on the wall I bought a beam finder and yes you guessed it we had about twenty frickin holes in the wall and he blamed the beam finder now my dryer sits on top of the washing machine in this house I don't trust him to put it on the wall :rofl:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When my husband does something at home it causes an argument because he just does not take the time to do it properly in his eyes close enough is good enough :shout: but I like it done right the first time, many years ago we decided to put the dryer on the wall I bought a beam finder and yes you guessed it we had about twenty frickin holes in the wall and he blamed the beam finder now my dryer sits on top of the washing machine in this house I don't trust him to put it on the wall :rofl:

Lmao... My hubby would use duck tape on everything if I let him!!! We can't seem to do projects together... I wanted to wring his neck this weekend just cleaning out the garage ; )

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Lmao... My hubby would use duck tape on everything if I let him!!! We can't seem to do projects together... I wanted to wring his neck this weekend just cleaning out the garage ; )

We have that job tomorrow, so it will be an interesting day :rofl:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We installed metal fencing (I think it is called empire fencing) around our yard before we got HRH. It works great for us, is not hard to install and is fairly reasonably priced. Much cheaper than the 6' wood fences. So if this is an option for you you might want to consider it.

Here's a picture of Amy in the puppy pen we made her with some of it when she was small. Took that apart last week because she didn't need it anymore.

We bought it at different times for our whole yard and got it at Lowes, Menards and Home Depot.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 102

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

That sounds like Bill! I never used to swear before I met him(well, maybe just a little). He taught me all kinds of new words!

📰 Latest posts

Members online