Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Be careful with your pups and frogs! Not sure of there's a specific type that does this but my family's Yorkie used to catch them when they came out in the evening. When frogs get scared they let off some liquid like sweat that is poisonous to dogs. She always threw up after having them in her mouth, she's learned her lesson and we try to make sure she doesn't see them on the porch. Again, don't know if it's a specific type of frogs...

the cane toads release a liquid toxic. They look like the pic 2bullymama posted.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - When I began organic gardening in earnest, the frog population skyrocketed in my yard. I see my little Pacific Tree Frogs regularly. They're hopping out of flower pots when I water and hanging out, sunning themselves on leaves in the morning sun. My yard isn't covered in frogs certainly, but since there's a food source here, they hang out! I love frogs and if you have them in your yard, it's a testimony to the mirco eco system that exists there. Frogs are a "core" species (not sure that's the right word) but you know what I mean.

I've been in China for the last ten days and during a trip to NingBo, I was outside smoking a cigarette. It had been raining and it was nighttime. I was admiring the plants growing up a phone pole (philodendren, common houseplant here) and out jumps a frog onto the open glass doors of the factory! He measured about five inches "tall" and maybe three inches wide. Big eyed and adorable, I ran to get my camera to take a picture of him. The factory owner didn't speak any English but when I showed him the picture, he smiled and patted me on the back as if to say, "Wonderful! I love frogs too!" Our Chinese host said exactly what everyone else was probably REALLY thinking; "Dinner!" We all laughed like hell about that one!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I was wandering where you were!! Hope it was nice in China. Wow! Another thing about frogs and toads is that they give you warts.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I LOVE frogs! They eat bugs that eat my plants! And [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]--CHINA????? :yell: What an exciting trip! You must tell all--and pictures please!!!!!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Be careful with your pups and frogs! Not sure of there's a specific type that does this but my family's Yorkie used to catch them when they came out in the evening. When frogs get scared they let off some liquid like sweat that is poisonous to dogs. She always threw up after having them in her mouth, she's learned her lesson and we try to make sure she doesn't see them on the porch. Again, don't know if it's a specific type of frogs...

Yea -- we thought tha too, so we make sure to make some type of noise when we are taking the pups out -- this way any frog/toad nearby will hop away before we get out with Banks and Cheli. If we see them before the pups... we just scoot the pups in the opposite direction.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
One night when Brie was about 9 weeks old, I took her out to go potty at about 4am. In the back yard was a possum I swear that was the size of a large cat or mid size dog. I have never seen one so large. It just went n its way n we let it ..lol I've heard raccoon, and owls, coyotes, even wolves. It is really cool to be out at night for that stuff.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
One night when Brie was about 9 weeks old, I took her out to go potty at about 4am. In the back yard was a possum I swear that was the size of a large cat or mid size dog. I have never seen one so large. It just went n its way n we let it ..lol I've heard raccoon, and owls, coyotes, even wolves. It is really cool to be out at night for that stuff.

We used to have all that stuff around me growing up and now all you hear are cars and cats fighting. Got to love suburban sprawl.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We used to have all that stuff around me growing up and now all you hear are cars and cats fighting. Got to love suburban sprawl.

Lol! We love just outside of town so luckily we still get the sounds. It took getting used to when I first moved tho. I was so used to the NYC sounds of cars, sirens etc.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lol! We love just outside of town so luckily we still get the sounds. It took getting used to when I first moved tho. I was so used to the NYC sounds of cars, sirens etc.

30 years ago where I am at we had it all and still had some dirt roads to drive down. Now it is all 6 lane roads and a 22 lane interstate when counting frontage roads about 4 miles away. Light pollution is crazy and we have to drive about 60 miles west to see meteor showers and such couldn't even enjoy the most recent super moon.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
30 years ago where I am at we had it all and still had some dirt roads to drive down. Now it is all 6 lane roads and a 22 lane interstate when counting frontage roads about 4 miles away. Light pollution is crazy and we have to drive about 60 miles west to see meteor showers and such couldn't even enjoy the most recent super moon.

Those are some of my fav things..I would have to move if I could not see the stars, meteor showers etc..I'm a huge star gazer and am currently teaching my son about space. He can't wait to be able to use the telescope on his own!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I LOVE frogs! They eat bugs that eat my plants! And [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]--CHINA????? :yell: What an exciting trip! You must tell all--and pictures please!!!!!

Not as glamorous as it might sound - hanging out in factories. LOL It was work, work, work - day and night, actually -- but I met some wonderful people and my Chinese hosts were generous and lovely people. I never ate so much food!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so cracking up at this post... We get a TON of frogs here!!! We even have a frog that I swear is living under our grill... I try to keep the dogs away because they release a poison that makes them get all foamy... :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We have a toad problem every summer. They love to mate in our pool after monsoon! I've had to wash out Mandy's mouth more than once and one time had to take her to the emergency vet because she was seizing. I have no love for them anymore. And their mating call is loud and horribly obnoxious!!! I'll have to try to get it on video....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.